Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance y vins are here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my SA told me that the ETA in my account was "fluid" (read: worthless). She said that she typically gets the VIN 1-2 weeks before I would get it and she doesn't see one. Best case is I'm 1-2 weeks from a VIN and then another 1-2 weeks from delivery. So, still possible to get one in the December wave but definitely had my hopes up that the wait was close to being over. It didn't seem like my trade has anything to do with it and hopefully the same is true for yours.
Gotcha, ok. And yeah, I feel like this whole ordering and delivery process is the most whacked thing I’ve ever dealt with. It’s so confusing and the communication is horrendous. It’s not like we are ordering a TV or a new couch, these are very expensive vehicles and you’d think the process would be less stressful and smoother. The same company that can make a fully autonomous vehicle can’t create a better, smooth, less stressful and flawless ordering system. In the military, a break down in communication can mean the difference between winning a war and losing......and Tesla isn’t winning this war I feel.

That’s horrible and unbelievable. You drove it 34 miles and they dropped it $2k?? I might try the same thing. Thanks!

It shouldn't make any difference, but I front-loaded the mileage in my original valuation. I padded it by 1k miles knowing that the ETA of the car was pretty far out. This time I just put accurate mileage in. But who knows.

By the way, I saw STP-2 launch from the beach about 9 miles down range (if I remember correctly). Was sooooo worth it. Had my 8 yo boys with me at the time. Can't wait to see more FH and maybe even Starship launch! Jealous of your experience on 39A!

Update: Vroom gave me the best offer and it is right at the sales tax breakpoint so still makes more sense to use the Tesla trade-in at this point. Kind of maybe makes me think that Tesla is figuring that into their calculations.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
It shouldn't make any difference, but I front-loaded the mileage in my original valuation. I padded it by 1k miles knowing that the ETA of the car was pretty far out. This time I just put accurate mileage in. But who knows.

By the way, I saw STP-2 launch from the beach about 9 miles down range (if I remember correctly). Was sooooo worth it. Had my 8 yo boys with me at the time. Can't wait to see more FH and maybe even Starship launch! Jealous of your experience on 39A!

Update: Vroom gave me the best offer and it is right at the sales tax breakpoint so still makes more sense to use the Tesla trade-in at this point. Kind of maybe makes me think that Tesla is figuring that into their calculations.
How did you figure out where the sales tax break is?

How did you figure out where the sales tax break is?

In Indiana, sales tax is 7% and you don't pay sales tax on the trade-in value. Because I'm lazy, here's an easy example.

If your new Tesla is 50k and your trade-in is 20k, you only pay sales tax on $30k (50k-20k) which ends up being $2100. So, let's say that 20k is a low-ball. You can get $25k from somewhere else. So, your purchase price is $50k + the sales tax on $50k because you don't have a trade-in any more and that ends up being $3500. But, you're getting $5k extra for your trade so that might be worth it because you have an extra $1500 you can apply to the car, accessories, or your pocket.

In my case, the trade delta was $2k which is basically the same as the amount of sales tax I'd be paying so it's a wash. Having the convenience of being able to do everything with one place is also worth something so even in the example above I might still opt to trade into Tesla. But everyone's different. Hope that helps and answers your question.

My date got updated to December 2-7 but have no VIN. Not sure how they're doing that unless they're teleporting the vehicle.

Ya, see my post on page 13. My SA said that date (mine is Dec 3 - 6) is "fluid" which I took to mean that the date is meaningless. I don't have a VIN yet, either. Hopefully we'll all be taking home MYs before the end of the month, though.

Reactions: Kezz
@NASASpaceXlove I just got an updated trade-in. 1 month of age and 34 miles dropped the trade-in value of my 2017 Acadia $2k. I think I'm going to check Vroom and Carvana before accepting the new offer.
Submitted my trade in info to Vroom and they offered me $2,000 MORE than what Tesla offered me, so I signed papers for Vroom. Hell, I’m ok with getting paid!

Reactions: Quorky
I traded in mine with Carvana, not with Tesla, as I shared in other reply. Did that not only because Carvana gave me a better offer (only couple hundreds over Tesla offered), another reason is the first SMS I received few weeks ago predicting the delivery date is mid to end of December, so I have concern if that didn't happen, and only happen in 2021, then my original car will be one more year older on the paper for trade in, so the value will be lowered. Maybe that does not matter to older car, my car was a 2017, so the value drop could be larger. Just sharing my 2c. ;)

Reactions: AmbienWalrus
Took delivery of mine today! VIN at 72,8XX, white on white MYP, no FSD or tow. It was an "inventory" vehicle that was already on its way to STL. Came with dual pane windows and auto dimming side mirrors, no USB in the glove box though. I'm okay with that, I just really wanted the windows and mirrors. Only issue was a veryyyy small gap issue on the hood, and a small dent in the front passenger door sill. STL SC was amazing, super simple and helpful! I'll post pictures in a few days, I literally picked it up and dropped it right off to get wrapped in XPEL Stealth and windows tinted. Very pleased!

Ordered 11/8, got my VIN yesterday at 76xxx. Blue MYP with White interior, Tow but no FSD. I called Tesla to find out why the low serial number and they looked up the built day - 12/5. The car will arrive NYC 12/21, just in time for Christmas.

My spec and build date is identical to yours however, I did get FSD.. my VIN is 791xx. I ordered 10/23.

VIN: # are meaningless
Build Date: mean everything

My delivery was scheduled for 12/21 too however, I contacted my delivery SC to check on status to see if the snow storm was going to affect delivery. Turns out the car was scheduled to arrive that night (12/16). New pickup date is 12/19!

My spec and build date is identical to yours however, I did get FSD.. my VIN is 791xx. I ordered 10/23.

VIN: # are meaningless
Build Date: mean everything

My delivery was scheduled for 12/21 too however, I contacted my delivery SC to check on status to see if the snow storm was going to affect delivery. Turns out the car was scheduled to arrive that night (12/16). New pickup date is 12/19!

Did you pick up yours today? How was the drive home with those summer tires? Mine is still scheduled for the 22nd. I used to go to school and work near your town in the North Andover area :)

Did you pick up yours today? How was the drive home with those summer tires? Mine is still scheduled for the 22nd. I used to go to school and work near your town in the North Andover area :)

I just posted in the following forum, take a look.. I didn't go home with the car, had alignment issues I wasn't willing to accept so its going to be reviewed by service however, the SA didn't think they would re-hang doors so if that is the case I'll reject the car and wait for another one.

2021 MYP Waiting Room