Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed V9 last night on our Model X. Got many calls from my wife this morning infuriated with the new UI. She can no longer have her camera on top of the screen and she doesn't care about maps at all. I agreed.

BTW, I had a UI feedback interview with Tesla website design team after I had a factory tour back in April. They agreed that Tesla in-car screen interface can be made better. Too bad that they probably do not talk to in-car interface designers.

Among the things I complained was the tiny size of the buttons they use for such a large screen. Also, many screen functions are not really "buttons" anymore (I liked pre-v7 screen interface versions more in terms of usability), so you have to kinda guess whether something is "clickable" or not. They made them even smaller in V9 and not separated from each other. What for??? I don't care how it looks, I want to easily navigate through the interface, without needing to "aim" my finger at an exact (tiny) spot on the screen.

But the thing I hate the most (still after having it for 6 months) is the door open/close interface: falcon doors buttons should be on the bottom of the screen, and the front doors buttons should be on top, not vice versa! And make them freaking bigger, please!

Installed V9 last night on our Model X. Got many calls from my wife this morning infuriated with the new UI. She can no longer have her camera on top of the screen and she doesn't care about maps at all. I agreed.

BTW, I had a UI feedback interview with Tesla website design team after I had a factory tour back in April. They agreed that Tesla in-car screen interface can be made better. Too bad that they probably do not talk to in-car interface designers.

Among the things I complained were the tiny size of the buttons they use for such a large screen. Also, many screen functions are not really "buttons" anymore (I liked pre-v7 screen interface versions more in terms of usability), so you have to kinda guess whether something is "clickable" or not. They made them even smaller in V9 and not separated from each other. What for??? I don't care how it looks, I want to easily navigate through the interface, without needing to "aim" my finger at an exact (tiny) spot on the screen.

But the thing I hate the most (still after having it for 6 months) is the door open/close interface: falcon doors buttons should be on the bottom of the screen, and the front doors buttons should be on top, not vice versa! And make them freaking bigger, please!

How do you know they don’t talk to in car interface designers?

• Disagree
Reactions: jhoughton1
Imagine that you're an owner in, say, Nebraska, and Nav is forced on you all the time. Nothing but a straight line top to bottom or side to side, all day long, for dozens of miles, taking up your otherwise valuable screen space. The horror....

Of course, if you're a 30-year old UI designer who lives and works in the SF bay area and has to navigate its tangle of roads and freeways, then keeping the Nav up all the time makes perfect sense. Some of us, however, live elsewhere on the planet, where the last thing we need up permanently is Nav.

Id suggest that everyone submit an executive escalation to get some attention to this issue

to do this log into your Tesla account and then select to manage your car. In the support section use the drop down to select "escalate this concern for executive review" and enter your concern. [...]

Following @Tech_Guy 's suggestion, I sent a note the other day using the executive escalation widget in my account on the Tesla website - I offered a logical case why bringing back two-app support makes sense vs forcing a maps-always-on UI on everyone (btw I also signed @selfbp 's petition)

I think it's worthwhile others with the same concern about v9.0 to contact Tesla if you haven't already done so, to amplify the feedback.

Today I received an email reply from someone in Executive Care dept of Fremont, including a reference number to my submission, acknowledgment of my concerns and assurance that feedback is valued and will be heard by the appropriate dept, etc. Sure, you might say that's just a polite boilerplate reply, and of course there's absolutely no guarantee anything will happen. But at least I know they received my comments. I may also take them up on their offer to email or phone them with further comments. BTW that’s more than I’ve ever gotten back before when reporting other reproducible bugs to the [email protected] email address - never even got an auto-reply from that address in the past in spite of several attempts.

I'm not yet ready to get my hopes up this will be resolved to our satisfaction, but we should at least let them know what we think since they likely don't follow these forums. Besides, as long as there's still the tiniest chance they'll bring back the two-app capability, there's still hope for the following:

If you guys can get them to change their mind, more power to ya. I’d buy ya a beer and say congrats on your effort.

:)

The ability to rollback vehicles to the last stable release is something Tesla should support. This would give owners more control over their vehicles - and if a new release introduced a major bug, the owner could initiate the rollback themselves - and get back to what they were using before.

However, a software release is updating all of the onboard processors, so rolling back to previous releases isn't that simple - and there's a risk that the rollback might not properly get installed on all of the processors, risking leaving the vehicle in an unusable state. Which is why it seems highly unlikely Tesla would do any large scale rollbacks to V8.

But rollback is a useful feature - and something Tesla should include in a future software release. Supporting rollback to arbitrary previous releases isn't practical, because there wouldn't be any way for Tesla to every test that. They could, however, always test rolling back to a specific previous release - something they could do as part of their internal and external testing.

The other improvement Tesla should make - providing information on what's contained in a software update BEFORE you install it. This should include the version number of the software awaiting installation - and a display of the release notes.

And, the release notes should be more informative than "minor bug fixes and feature improvements" - listing the specific bugs & features that were changed. Without that documentation, it's left to owners to try to figure out what has changed, which isn't a good strategy when trying to determine how AP has changed in a new release...

As for the complaints about V9 and restoring some of the lost UI features - the top/bottom app windows are probably gone and won't come back. Tesla will likely also continue with the navigation app being the primary app - because the navigation software is a critical element to implement EAP/FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: jhoughton1
count me in, I am just refusing the update for now untill I hear this has been corrected in some future release

two pre-ap s85's

Well tesla got my feedback and the update was pulled from my car this morning so I no longer have to keep xing out of it every time I get in or park.
Screenshot_20181010-072114_Email.jpg