Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Billing/Usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
still not sure about pre-cooling though
I did quite a bit of research and analysis on energy and homes (a long time ago)
The idea of cooling down the house 4 or 5 degrees more than what thermo will eventually be set at will use more energy for sure than just leaving it at the set temp. Question is can you reuce enough cycles at the peak rate to make up for it. I think it will vary greatly by house and rates

i'm still not understanding what is happening with the ability to see my PG&E usage on their web site. I got PW PTO on May. The usage screen has not updated since PTO and the Solar Summary has not updated as well. It only shows up to the point they issued me a True Up for the PW install.
last true up.png
last Usage summary.png
I have 3 PWs so they installed that 2nd Meter to measure solar production
Does this mean I will not have access to this information going forward?
Screen shots from today

i'm still not understanding what is happening with the ability to see my PG&E usage on their web site.

So I also got an NGOM meter when I finally got PTO in March. It appears that since then, my ability to see the daily electric usage on the PG&E web site lags by a few months...like it's July 22 right now but the latest data I have is from May 6. On the other hand my daily natural gas usage data is available up through July 20.

Kind of funny that I can't see the usage data, but obviously PG&E can compute a bill based on it. Hmmm...

Bruce.

i'm still not understanding what is happening with the ability to see my PG&E usage on their web site. I got PW PTO on May. The usage screen has not updated since PTO and the Solar Summary has not updated as well. It only shows up to the point they issued me a True Up for the PW install.
You appear to be on the Solar Summary panel.

At the top right there is a pull down. Select Energy Usage Details.

still not sure about pre-cooling though
I did quite a bit of research and analysis on energy and homes (a long time ago)
The idea of cooling down the house 4 or 5 degrees more than what thermo will eventually be set at will use more energy for sure than just leaving it at the set temp. Question is can you reuce enough cycles at the peak rate to make up for it. I think it will vary greatly by house and rates
Pre-cooling may use more energy overall but the driving factor is the difference between off-peak and peak rates.

When we were setting up our all electric home for solar 12 years ago now, my first inclination was to set the goal of net zero energy or electricity use as global climate change is a major concern of mine. But I soon came to the realization the net zero cost was much more realistic financially, and to some extent not entirely inconsistent with the goal of minimizing one’s carbon footprint. The assumption at that time was that the electricity rates during certain time periods represented the inherent capacity of the system to generate the electricity for that time period. Rates were cheap at night as there was plenty of capacity at night as the overall capacity of the system was dictated by peak usage during the afternoon when businesses and factories, etc. are open and heating or cooling their buildings. Thus, rates were high during the day and that encouraged a growth in solar capacity. From an environmental point of view, adding solar was much better environmentally than adding new natural gas powered peaker plants to meet the energy needs during this time period. (Unfortunately, they did it anyway.)

So, for the first few years I enjoyed good rates for my solar production as peak rates were pretty well aligned with solar output. That has obviously changed over the years and with EV2-A, peak rates are now not at all a good fit for my solar production. Battery systems are almost a must currently for solar to make sense financially.

Getting back to precooling, it seems far better to be precooling my home while the sun is shining and my solar output is at a max, e.g. early afternoon. During this time, I could be putting it into the grid for $0.17/kWh, or, by precooling our home at that rate, I can avoid cooling during the late afternoon and evening when it would cost me $0.48/kWh and be competing with increased demand elsewhere in the system. While there is an obvious financial reason to do so, there is also likely an environmental reason as well if that means that, hopefully, PG&E won’t need additional natural gas peaker plants to meet those needs.

The cool thing is that precooling really works and the house has never been so comfortable. So far I have been able to get through the peak periods without the AC coming on, or my even thinking about wanting it to come on. Since I am on Cost Savings the Powerwall is not only generating all the electricity I need for the peak hours, it is also covering the partial-peak hours before and after the peak time. So right now, all my electricity coming from the grid is at off peak rates. Far better to use what I can of my $0.17 juice to power my house and avoid paying $0.48 and $0.37 for the same use.

Reactions: aesculus
I’m still amazed the talk about per kWh rates her vs elsewhere in the US. An average home in the US uses about 950 kWh in the summertime and has a $200 energy bill. But in California if you use 950 PG&E slaps you in the face with the “!” Warning about your excessive use and your Bill would be north of $400 without solar.

It’s total BS how PG&E got to be this way.

When we were setting up our all electric home for solar 12 years ago now, my first inclination was to set the goal of net zero energy or electricity use as global climate change is a major concern of mine. But I soon came to the realization the net zero cost was much more realistic financially, and to some extent not entirely inconsistent with the goal of minimizing one’s carbon footprint. The assumption at that time was that the electricity rates during certain time periods represented the inherent capacity of the system to generate the electricity for that time period. Rates were cheap at night as there was plenty of capacity at night as the overall capacity of the system was dictated by peak usage during the afternoon when businesses and factories, etc. are open and heating or cooling their buildings. Thus, rates were high during the day and that encouraged a growth in solar capacity. From an environmental point of view, adding solar was much better environmentally than adding new natural gas powered peaker plants to meet the energy needs during this time period. (Unfortunately, they did it anyway.)

So, for the first few years I enjoyed good rates for my solar production as peak rates were pretty well aligned with solar output. That has obviously changed over the years and with EV2-A, peak rates are now not at all a good fit for my solar production. Battery systems are almost a must currently for solar to make sense financially.

Getting back to precooling, it seems far better to be precooling my home while the sun is shining and my solar output is at a max, e.g. early afternoon. During this time, I could be putting it into the grid for $0.17/kWh, or, by precooling our home at that rate, I can avoid cooling during the late afternoon and evening when it would cost me $0.48/kWh and be competing with increased demand elsewhere in the system. While there is an obvious financial reason to do so, there is also likely an environmental reason as well if that means that, hopefully, PG&E won’t need additional natural gas peaker plants to meet those needs.

The cool thing is that precooling really works and the house has never been so comfortable. So far I have been able to get through the peak periods without the AC coming on, or my even thinking about wanting it to come on. Since I am on Cost Savings the Powerwall is not only generating all the electricity I need for the peak hours, it is also covering the partial-peak hours before and after the peak time. So right now, all my electricity coming from the grid is at off peak rates. Far better to use what I can of my $0.17 juice to power my house and avoid paying $0.48 and $0.37 for the same use.
What's strange about the EV2-A rate is it incentivises you to use more energy overall to reduce your cost.

What's strange about the EV2-A rate is it incentivises you to use more energy overall to reduce your cost.

The thing to remember is that all energy is not equal. Any additional energy used at peak times comes from the most expensive, dirtiest sources. It is probably both cheaper and better for the environment to use the cleaner energy before peak rather than forcing the grid to deliver more energy during peak.

Reactions: shs1
I’m still amazed the talk about per kWh rates her vs elsewhere in the US. An average home in the US uses about 950 kWh in the summertime and has a $200 energy bill. But in California if you use 950 PG&E slaps you in the face with the “!” Warning about your excessive use and your Bill would be north of $400 without solar.

It’s total BS how PG&E got to be this way.

It got this way with the help of State energy mandates and PG&E building over capacity. They get to increase rates to cover their capital costs. I'm sure rates will go up to cover the decommissioning of Diablo. Other utilities are increasing the life of their Nuclear Plants while we are shutting it off

The thing to remember is that all energy is not equal. Any additional energy used at peak times comes from the most expensive, dirtiest sources. It is probably both cheaper and better for the environment to use the cleaner energy before peak rather than forcing the grid to deliver more energy during peak.

I don't think that is true in CA. The peaker plants are natural gas.

Reactions: shs1 and jboy210
I don't think that is true in CA. The peaker plants are natural gas.

Fair enough, but there most likely is surplus renewable energy before peak, so I think it's still quite likely that pre-cooling is a net benefit both economically and for the environment. I think the EV2-A rate reflects the "duck curve" solar surplus during the middle of the day. I don't know what PG&E's energy mix is, but compared to the other sources in the energy mix of the CCA that serves this area, natural gas would probably qualify as one of the dirtiest sources (at least with respect to greenhouse gases).

I have 3 PWs so they installed that 2nd Meter to measure solar production
Does this mean I will not have access to this information going forward?
Screen shots from today
This is a known problem. I don't have any electrical data showing in my Usage Details since June 2018. That's about the time that they straightened out my billing from my April 2018 Powerwall PTO. I would be surprised if anyone on "Paired Storage" billing could see the detail on the Usage Details page. You should still be able to download your usage data using the Green Button.