Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E changes 110% of usage rule to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's hilarious is that PG&E JUST sent me another get $50 if you allow us to install SmartAC boxes on your AC. It's been nearly two years since using a single kwh during peak time since my peak and the partial peak is 100% powered by powerwalls. All they ever get is 100% of my solar during peak time back to the grid.

That could either be the sweetest $50 of your life... or it is blood money that will bust you later. Karma.

PG&E never explained this to me directly, but my suspicion is I got the notices in 2019 because of my energy usage during peak time. We had just purchased the house in February 2019. The home had the original two air conditioner condensers from the 1990s; which were probably 8 SEER (or worse). They would run non-stop to try and keep the house at 75F inside.

So while I initially thought PG&E's notices were because I went into the "!" usage E1 tier... it may have been a combination of how much and when the kWh were used.

ah - you might be on to something there. my electric meter is behind a locked gate and so PGE was never able to install a smart meter on my property. they tried for years but i was never home and wasn't going to leave the gate open. it could be seen by peeking over a fence and i was happy to keep some meter-reading person on the payroll that would have otherwise been laid off due to automation.

so PGE had no idea when i was using power until 2015 when of course they installed a smart meter as part of my solar install.

now of course it's a moot point since i'm generating like 75% of my total usage even with the EV. i regret that my roof was too small for more than a 5kw plant.