TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate Check Bounced

Discussion in 'California' started by friday80s, Jan 31, 2019.

1. friday80s

friday80s Member

The $800 Clean Fuel Rebate I cashed the other day for my Model 3 was returned for reason "Refer to Maker". I guess I'm not surprised as they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection however my bank is charging me $12 for the returned check. I wish PG&E would have informed me they wouldn't be funding rebates anymore, I wouldn't have cashed the check at all. I also figured they would have had a dedicated revenue source for rebates. Anyways you may want to call and make sure a rebate check you get in the mail is still valid before taking it to the bank.

I emailed PG&E just to be sure this wasn't a mistake. I'll post here when I hear back from them.

• Informative x 4
  2. tam-o-shanter

tam-o-shanter Member

This is a bummer. Guess I'll probably never even get one in the mail now.

3. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

If you don't get a satisfactory answer, there's always this: CAB Utility Complaint and Filing A Formal Complaint

Also, this would be better placed in the California sub-forum.

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

I am not surprised... most creditors will now recieve pennies on the dollar for outstanding debts.

5. JG T3SLA

JG T3SLA Member

6. lozza

lozza Member

$#@! Just checked my account too, and the check bounced! Um, so do I get to not pay my electricity bill then for the equivalent amount?

• Informative x 2
  7. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

I disagree. Many people could benefit from this information and most of them probably don’t check every sub forum.

I hope this topic stays near the top for the next few days to help avoid others.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  8. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#8 BluestarE3, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    How long after you deposited the check before it bounced? I deposited mine a couple of days ago and the amount is still there. I guess I'll keep monitoring my account for the next few days to be sure it doesn't get reversed.

• Informative x 1
  9. lozza

lozza Member

I put mine in on 28th and it bounced today

10. aspec818

aspec818 Member

This doesn’t make sense as the ev rebate should be separately funded. This isn’t good news either way.

11. silentsnow31802

LOL!!!

I just put mine in the bank and it immediately had a 10 day hold put on it. I thought to myself "WTF!?!?? Thats never happened before." Now I know why...

• Informative x 1
  12. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

That was a bad sign. The banks know immediately when things start going sideways.

You guys that had your PG&E checks bounce should call the TV station consumer help lines like 7 On Your Side or NBC We Investigate

• Like x 1
  13. CarterStC

CarterStC Member

They want to pay bonuses, now we know where the funds are coming from

14. friday80s

friday80s Member

I deposited the check on Jan 29 and it was reversed Jan 31.

15. friday80s

friday80s Member

They emailed me back. They basically said that, if I'm applicable, they'll send me new checks in 2-3 weeks, one for the rebate and another for the bank fee.

PG&E Email Form: Contact Us

Here's the full reply from PG&E:

• Informative x 3
  16. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Thanks for the update, although they don't explain why their check bounced in the first place.

17. silentsnow31802

Mine finally bounced this morning. Deposited the 28th. Contacting PGE now.

18. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

I know this will require more time and effort, but if you really want your money, go directly to one of the bank branches the check was drawn from and try cashing it there.

Go multiple times if you have to, you won't be charged bounced check fees.

• Like x 1
  19. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#19 BluestarE3, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    I just checked my account and there's a pending reversal of the $800. No indication of a bank fee though. I deposited on the 29th.

UPDATE: I called PG&E and, as with @friday80s , I was told a new check will be mailed to me in about 2 weeks. The person I spoke to attributed it to a "glitch in their system". I'm not holding my breath on ever getting the money due to their bankruptcy filing.

20. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#20 SMAlset, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    When I first heard the news I wondered if this would happen. Guess I’m happy I got the $500 last year and not have to go through all this hassle even assuming they do make good on it. I guess the bankruptcy court shut down all bank accounts but am surprised the rebate program if separately funded wasn’t exempt by the Court. Some PG&E attorney should have made that clear unless maybe they were putting the funds for that in the same checking account.

I can see this going to cause some people big headaches if they wrote checks out on it and It causes bounced checks for them in their personal account. Doubt PG&E will cover bounced check fees, just the returned check fee on the deposit. While the image to the public may be that people who can afford to buy a Tesla (or other EV) should have money in their account so this wouldn’t be a problem bouncing checks due to a $800 deposit, I think a number of people are kind of living paycheck to paycheck expecially in this high cost area of California and bought an EV to save money. Also expect even those that do have reserve funds may not keep a lot in their general household account but transfer money in as they need it. So can see this happening to them too. Not a good public relations event for PG&E. And hearing in the news on top of this that they were handing out some bonuses before they filed and wanting to hand out more during this period.

I feel for many of the employees of the company who are faced with this bankrupcty proceeding. Lots of good people, and I’m sure many long time employees, likely impacted in one way or another. Those linemen/women especially who risk so much to get power connected in bad weather.

• Like x 1