Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate Check Bounced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Application submitted: 1/8/19
Approval email: 1/25
Check received and deposited 2/7

I noticed there is a larger than avg gap between my approval and check receipt. I'm assuming there were changes they had to put in as my approval was officially pre-bankruptcy - like right before they filed.

Is the latest thinking that the checks arent bouncing anymore? I see they still have the form on their site with no mention of stopping it or bounced checks.
I believe the PG&E accounts were only frozen for about a week at the beginning of the BK proceedings. People were told that checks not previously presented (deposited and bounced) should clear starting February 4th.

Reactions: Ulmo
I have not received a new check but I requested one yesterday.

They replied to my email with a response that said I can try and cash the check again and it should clear or I can request a new one. Since my bank will not allow me to cash the same check twice I had to request a new one

I guess if you still have the original check you can try and cash it again. According to them it should work.

I guess if you still have the original check you can try and cash it again. According to them it should work.
I called PG&E immediately after my check bounced and they submitted a request to get a replacement check issued to me. My bank told me they were sending me an official copy of the bounced check and, once I receive it, I could try redepositing it at a teller window. However, I'm reluctant to do so because if PG&E is going to send me a new check, they may have already put a stop payment on the original and I don't want to have it bounce a second time. The bank waived the bounced check fee the first time; I'm not sure they'll be as amenable if it happens again.

I made a follow-up call to PG&E a few days ago and was told replacement checks have been processed and that I should receive mine by the end of this past week. Nothing so far. I'm wondering if they're really resending checks to applicants or just blowing smoke (which is what my wife thinks).

no need to panic, it's a common problem (or so I'm told by PG&E rep) due to the bankruptcy. apparently checks are not cashable until feb 4. so anyone who deposited their check before that date will get bounced.

to get this fixed, call 877-704-8723, tell them your check bounced, and they will ask for your pg&e account number. they will do a lot of typing and give you two confirmation numbers - one for the $800 that bounced, and one for the returned check fee that your bank most likely charged you.

for the $800, you will have to wait a few days for someone to call you for next steps.
for the returned check fee, you need to fax or mail in proof of the fee referencing "RTM Desk" (return to maker) and the confirmation number, and it will also be processed.

basically it's exactly like the email another member posted on page 1. so don't worry, you will get your money!
Update: received an email yesterday saying my rebate application has been approved (again). So I think what they do is resubmit your application if your original check bounced .

• Informative
I'm discussing checks in general; perhaps any of you with checks in hand could read this generality and go in to one of the drawing banks proper if you're extra paranoid, but from my reading of this thread, that isn't necessary, since PG&E has now made your checks good either through deposit or redeposit of the old checks or replacement (although obviously not both; if you filed for replacement, then the old one is likely void). Anyway, generally:

I know this will require more time and effort, but if you really want your money, go directly to one of the bank branches the check was drawn from and try cashing it there.

Go multiple times if you have to, you won't be charged bounced check fees.
Agreed. This is the safest way to get money from a check if you have any doubt that it will process in less stringent processing pathways. I have done it often to very good effect. Once you have the cash in hand drawn from the bank account at the bank the check was written from, it's highly unlikely the check will be made bad against your funds.

Unrelated to this thread, a lesser guarantee is opening an account at the bank the check is drawn on. I've done that many times for regular income and expense items. For instance, I open accounts at every long term employer bank (provided the bank passes my acceptability parameters, which themselves are fairly stringent), so that I have the option of depositing to a bank that will quickly fully process the income to me with the least trouble, and I also do so to landlords so that when I write a check to them, there is minimum fuss about the payment of rent, since their bank will almost immediately process it and without any question about funds availability once the bank has the ability to process. However, this technique is not applicable to a one-time payment from a rebate group (or a one time large purchase), or for contractors, a one time or infrequent contract payment or customer payment. For those, going in person to the branch to get the cash is the best way. Be prepared to be told that the check is not "currently good" and ask for a way to call in to check if it's good next time so you don't have to make a trip to the bank line every day; check its "goodness" frequently, and as soon as it is "possibly good", go in to get the cash right away (no delay); you're literally fighting time at that point.

I think it should be obvious not to go to a "Check Cashing Store" since they would sue you for many times the value of the check if it bounces and probably collect viciously.
I just looked up the image of up my rebate check from last year. The bank it's drawn from is The Bank Of New York Mellon Corporation.
They have 1 branch in San Francisco and 1 branch in Los Angeles.
Ouch.

Well, there you go.

At least some of the rebate recipients travel near enough to those two cities; perhaps that would work if their time is worth that instead of reapplying for the rebate.
I just called my bank and had them reverse the check bounce charge. Pretty easy.
The bank also accepted the legal tender ( the rejection mail of your check, where it has a picture of the old check) and will deposit legal tender again. My bank said that if the release on the PGE account is lifted, the legal tender will work.
Correct. Some banks allow you to request redeposit. If this method is available to you after this happened to you, then determine first if the funds are available, and if you so determine, then have the bank do so. I suspect a bunch of holds and fees will still hit your account.

Last edited: