Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E PTO Tesla fumbling the ball multiple times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some guidance on if anyone has any information on how to get things rolling as I am at wits end, and I think I've done all I can do.

I have gone through 3 project advisors on my install. My system was installed on 11/5, failed the first inspection on 11/25. It took a while for Tesla to get approval of the updated drawings for the permits.

They scheduled follow up inspections and then cancelled on me the same day (3 times). Finally on 1/13 I passed inspection. On 1/16 I get an email from PG&E about my interconnection agreement and I am like..finally almost there.

Well I don't hear anything for a couple weeks, so based on some threads on this forum, I decided to call PG&E. PG&E tells me they sent a request for variance documentation on 1/28, so I ping my advisor to let them know. I was told by my advisor the variance document went over on 2/2.

I called PG&E on 2/19 to get an update, and am told they are still waiting on the variance documentation they requested on 1/28. I followed up the same day with my new advisor who told me they interconnection team said they sent it out on 2/2 and reached out to PG&E to see if there was anything else they needed.

I sent an email to PG&E last night (2/25) cc'ing the Tesla interconnection email address and received a responded from PG&E saying they have not received a response since the last request they submitted on 1/28. PG&E also provided me with attachments of the email correspondences with Tesla, with the last one being 1/28 where they requested the Variance Documentation.

I pulled the name of the Tesla rep that was in the emails that PG&E provided and sent them a direct email fwd'ing PG&E's response. I have not heard back from anyone at Tesla.

(moderator note: added spacing to improve readability, no other changes made)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could help you but I am in the exact same situation (install was 12/20). At this point PG&E did say that Tesla did return the last set of requested updates but cannot comment further. It appears from talking to PG&E that anytime a change is made to the PTO document they get to reset the countdown clock again (which runs for 30 days). So we are constantly being shoved to the back of the line whenever Tesla makes a mistake or PG&E wants additional info.

And BTW my Tesla person handling the PTO never returns emails or phone calls either. And they are not the one on the PTO application as that seems to be some generic person or email address.

So we wait ...

Are you both solar-only or do you have Powerwalls?

That NEM2-MT issue completely derailed me... I've bee trying to get PTO for solar+ESS since the County approved everything in December. It took 2 months to resolve the NEM2-MT details (and get insurance). Now I have to wait another month minimum.

I wish I could help you but I am in the exact same situation (install was 12/20). At this point PG&E did say that Tesla did return the last set of requested updates but cannot comment further. It appears from talking to PG&E that anytime a change is made to the PTO document they get to reset the countdown clock again (which runs for 30 days). So we are constantly being shoved to the back of the line whenever Tesla makes a mistake or PG&E wants additional info.

And BTW my Tesla person handling the PTO never returns emails or phone calls either. And they are not the one on the PTO application as that seems to be some generic person or email address.

So we wait ...

The reset of the clock is a bit frustrating. I guess they want to bleed us as much a they can before we can turn on solar.

The person from Tesla that handled the documentation finally responded that they are going to resend the documentation right away. So the 30 day clock starts again...

Look at the top of the interconnection agreement that you should have signed (like recently since they started the PTO process). If it says NEM2-MT (for multiple tariff) things get ugly :(. Some forum members with only 2 PW's are now on NEM2-MT. The only way to know for sure is to look at the top of your NEM agreement paperwork.

PG&E Customers with 3 or more PWs: Interconnection NEM2, NEM2-MT, or NEM2-PS

The reset of the clock is a bit frustrating. I guess they want to bleed us as much a they can before we can turn on solar.

The person from Tesla that handled the documentation finally responded that they are going to resend the documentation right away. So the 30 day clock starts again...

For solar only and solar plus 1-2 powerwalls installations PG&E seems to turn around PTO applications in about a week. The delays are usually on Tesla's side in actually sending PG&E the PTO application.

I just think it's funny (in a sad way) that we usually think of 2 vs 3 Powerwalls as a means to estimate how many of those bad boys it takes to get an air conditioner to start...

And PG&E thinks about it in terms of 2 Powerwalls is cool; 3 Powerwalls could explode their transformer.

• Funny
Reactions: jedmo
I’m in same boat as OP. Ordered mid-August and got installed end of Oct. Took 3 months to get inspections done because of some mysterious part that was needed (which it wasn’t). PTO application filed on 2/5. Waited 2 weeks and checked with PG&E and they rejected the paperwork on 2/6. Corrected application has not yet been filed.
It’s crazy frustrating.

OP it sucks to see these delays with Tesla but honestly this seems somewhat common, if the posts here are representative. I think that Tesla is simply swamped with orders, they are not alone.

Other 3rd party installers may give you better service but they charge more, as they need to keep the lights on, and pay someone to answer your questions then solve the issues. Instead you get thrown back in the queue and on it goes.

Nobody else can match Tesla pricing, it's simply crazy low. So you might need to pester them, pester PG&E yourself to follow up.

Reactions: jboy210
Just as a follow up.

I contacted PG&E again today (3/5) to get a status of my interconnection agreement. They said they sent an email to Tesla on 3/1 requesting the horizontal measurement from the gas riser to the AC/DC to validate that the distance is greater than 36 inches.

I emailed the Tesla person on my interconnection agreement as well as my project advisor requesting they send the info over ASAP. Glad I called to check in, or else this would be another situation where Tesla is just sitting on the email.

Question: When PG&E says AC/DC do they mean the inverter? or the electrical panel? both are way more that 36 inches from the gas riser. Or do they really mean the band AC/DC, as they live in Australia, which is WAY beyond the 36 inch distance requirement. I know...dad joke...

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just as a follow up.

I contacted PG&E again today (3/5) to get a status of my interconnection agreement. They said they sent an email to Tesla on 3/1 requesting the horizontal measurement from the gas riser to the AC/DC to validate that the distance is greater than 36 inches.

I emailed the Tesla person on my interconnection agreement as well as my project advisor requesting they send the info over ASAP. Glad I called to check in, or else this would be another situation where Tesla is just sitting on the email.

Question: When PG&E says AC/DC do they mean the inverter? or the electrical panel? both are way more that 36 inches from the gas riser. Or do they really mean the band AC/DC, as they live in Australia, which is WAY beyond the 36 inch distance requirement. I know...dad joke...

All AC and DC sources, enclosures and conductors.

• Informative
Reactions: jedmo
All AC and DC sources, enclosures and conductors.

Thank you for this. I went ahead and took measurements from the gas riser to each of the AC and DC sources. I also took a picture of the wall with the gas riser and AC and DC sources, overlaid the measurements on the picture and sent it to the Tesla interconnection person as well as my project advisor. If needed, they can use that to update whatever drawings need to be updated, or provide PG&E with the numbers if they don't need the drawings. Hopefully it will be the last thing that is needed.

Reactions: Vines