Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of bringing the wrath of FSDers down on me, we do NOT have the best lane assist. A friend drove me up I70 into Summit County over the weekend, in his Genesis Gx80. The auto-steer did not cease when he made a lane change while signaling, it never once lowered the speed limit 15mph because of some phantom danger. Basically a much nicer experience than I would have had in my MY. Made me realize how far behind Tesla is falling chasing the holy grail, WHICH I WILL NEVER TRUST, NOR BUY. Please give me back the 25% of map size wasted in the failed holiday release, while tilting at the FSD windmill.

The auto-steer did not cease when he made a lane change while signaling,
It sounds like you only have the nerfed Basic Autopilot on your Model Y. If you had the FSD package (or Enhanced AP on earlier/foreign models), autosteer would continue to work when changing lanes.

While Tesla gives people a sneak peek with Basic Autopilot, I think it might convince many people not to buy it since it can be very annoying the way they have implemented the 'free' version. They might incorrectly think "that's as good as it gets".

We had Basic AP on one of our Teslas and did a 600 mile road trip back to Denver after picking it up in KC. It was annoying having to constantly re-engage AP after every lane change. We traded that SR+ in 3 weeks later for a LR AWD with FSD and it was so much more enjoyable. Typically when we do road trips, we turn on AP and can leave it constantly engaged, often for over 230 miles, until we need to Supercharge. The full version of AP with EAP/FSD features is amazing and the car can drive itself (with supervision) for hundreds of highway miles without intervention. It can perform automatic lane changes and if Navigate on Autopilot is enabled, it can even change highways, take exits, etc., all without having to re-engage it.

It sounds like you only have the nerfed Basic Autopilot on your Model Y. If you had the FSD package (or Enhanced AP on earlier/foreign models), autosteer would continue to work when changing lanes.

While Tesla gives people a sneak peek with Basic Autopilot, I think it might convince many people not to buy it since it can be very annoying the way they have implemented the 'free' version. They might incorrectly think "that's as good as it gets".

We had Basic AP on one of our Teslas and did a 600 mile road trip back to Denver after picking it up in KC. It was annoying having to constantly re-engage AP after every lane change. We traded that SR+ in 3 weeks later for a LR AWD with FSD and it was so much more enjoyable. Typically when we do road trips, we turn on AP and can leave it constantly engaged, often for over 230 miles, until we need to Supercharge. The full version of AP with EAP/FSD features is amazing and the car can drive itself (with supervision) for hundreds of highway miles without intervention. It can perform automatic lane changes and if Navigate on Autopilot is enabled, it can even change highways, take exits, etc., all without having to re-engage it.
Thanks for the reply. I did see EAP offered in upgrades for a short time last year. I think it was $4k. Honestly I would be interested in that much more than $10k for FSD(some day). Maybe that's what the SD stands for :)

• Funny
Reactions: alstoralset
At the risk of bringing the wrath of FSDers down on me, we do NOT have the best lane assist. A friend drove me up I70 into Summit County over the weekend, in his Genesis Gx80. The auto-steer did not cease when he made a lane change while signaling, it never once lowered the speed limit 15mph because of some phantom danger. Basically a much nicer experience than I would have had in my MY. Made me realize how far behind Tesla is falling chasing the holy grail, WHICH I WILL NEVER TRUST, NOR BUY. Please give me back the 25% of map size wasted in the failed holiday release, while tilting at the FSD windmill.

I honestly never see the issues you ar talking about. I use use the blinker and the car moves over by itself...

Almost every other car brand has lane centering without you needing to keep on a mode that can result in phantom breaking. This is my single biggest hesitation to getting a Tesla. I don’t understand why they won’t enable it, clearly the technology is there.

Reactions: Stach and Darblish
Almost every other car brand has lane centering without you needing to keep on a mode that can result in phantom breaking. This is my single biggest hesitation to getting a Tesla. I don’t understand why they won’t enable it, clearly the technology is there.
You don’t have a Tesla so how do you know phantom breaking is a real issue?

Have you looked at any videos? If you would please share with the class! I think phantom breaking is mostly a phantom issue. It happens some of the time when people use autosteer on small roads (eg not interstates) but that’s it.

Other manufacturers don’t offer lane keeping off the interstate anyway....

Have you looked at any videos? If you would please share with the class! I think phantom breaking is mostly a phantom issue. It happens some of the time when people use autosteer on small roads (eg not interstates) but that’s it.

Lol, tesla apologists are so sad.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum from Tesla owners talking about phantom breaking and yes it even happens on interstates/hiways.
I've only had it happen to myself once but when it does its a real WTF moment.

I would not even dream of using autopilot off of the interstate so that’s not relevant.

Look all over this message board for people complaining about phantom breaking.

Don’t underestimate how much lane centering reduces fatigue. I like controlling the pedals, that’s the easy part for me and the part that AP has the most trouble with. Staying in your own lane, making sure you don’t sway near another car, seems like such an easy problem for Tesla to solve, they have solved it, yet they refuse to enable it without TACC which doesn’t make sense. As it stands my $20k accord has a less stressful, less fatiguing commute on highways because it stays in lanes by itself and I don’t need to worry about the car doing something unpredictable.

• Disagree
Reactions: WattPwr

I absolutely love my Teslas (and you know this), but none of this is correct.

Phantom braking is very much real, very much happens on interstates, and very much is disconcerting (and possibly dangerous if you have a tailgater.)

It’s most prominent for me on sunny days when approaching an overpass. It’s abundantly clear Autopilot has trouble differentiating between a shadow and a wall.

I am hopeful that the Pure Vision rewrite will solve for this as AP begins taking the Z axis into account, but to dismiss it out of hand is ludicrous. It’s very much a real thing, and when it happens to you at 75mph, it’s absolutely jarring.

As for videos … no, I don’t have any because I concentrate on driving when I’m actually driving and not playing with a danged camera.

I absolutely love my Teslas (and you know this), but none of this is correct.

Phantom braking is very much real, very much happens on interstates, and very much is disconcerting (and possibly dangerous if you have a tailgater.)

It’s most prominent for me on sunny days when approaching an overpass. It’s abundantly clear Autopilot has trouble differentiating between a shadow and a wall.

I am hopeful that the Pure Vision rewrite will solve for this as AP begins taking the Z axis into account, but to dismiss it out of hand is ludicrous. It’s very much a real thing, and when it happens to you at 75mph, it’s absolutely jarring.

As for videos … no, I don’t have any because I concentrate on driving when I’m actually driving and not playing with a danged camera.
You have a dashcam going all the time.

I would not even dream of using autopilot off of the interstate so that’s not relevant.

Look all over this message board for people complaining about phantom breaking.

Don’t underestimate how much lane centering reduces fatigue. I like controlling the pedals, that’s the easy part for me and the part that AP has the most trouble with. Staying in your own lane, making sure you don’t sway near another car, seems like such an easy problem for Tesla to solve, they have solved it, yet they refuse to enable it without TACC which doesn’t make sense. As it stands my $20k accord has a less stressful, less fatiguing commute on highways because it stays in lanes by itself and I don’t need to worry about the car doing something unpredictable.

I know their are people who like to complain, I’m looking for evidence though.

Lol, tesla apologists are so sad.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum from Tesla owners talking about phantom breaking and yes it even happens on interstates/hiways.
I've only had it happen to myself once but when it does its a real WTF moment.
It happened to you once in how many miles of driving? What were the circumstances? It happened to you once and this is a huge issue that stops people from buying a car?! That’s a ridiculous take.

Seriously? What’s with the insults?
It isn’t a insult. It’s a question. You acted like saving video from your car was some sort of laborious task. If you had of read the manual (or even a modicum of tmc posts) you would have realized that it is actually quite easy.

I’m not bothering with a video of a phantom braking event. Why would I waste any brain cycles on it?

So phantom breaking isn’t a big deal? I agree with me!

It isn’t a insult. It’s a question. You acted like saving video from your car was some sort of laborious task. If you had of read the manual (or even a modicum of tmc posts) you would have realized that it is actually quite easy.

So phantom breaking isn’t a big deal? I agree with me!

“Do you know how to read though?” isn’t an insult? I don’t know how you speak to people in real life, but I sure hope you’ve got better manners than that.

And yes, phantom braking is absolutely a big deal, but the last thing on my mind is “OMG I’d better get a video of this for YouTube!”