Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking is the biggest issue with AutoPilot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experienced this behavior as well. The phantom braking has occurred several times while approaching the 75th St Bridge over north-bound I-35 in Overland Park, KS. I wonder if it's the highway signs or the bridge that are triggering the braking. The first time it happened I got a tech on the phone (long for those days don't we?) and he suggested that I bring the car in and have the sensors calibrated if it kept happening. But it's still only rare.

Further, I've had that lane-change braking happen a couple times, too.

I don't see why folks would “turn-off” the NOAP. You have to be attentive anyway - in fact, I feel more watchful when AP is active! (An MIT study confirms that BTW). An irony that is only superseded by the irony of have the closest thing to autonomous driving in a car that is so damn much fun to drive the good old fashioned way (well .... that is with steering and braking .... as so little else about the car is traditional. Thanks Elon.)

I too had an episode this morning a little after 5AM. Not much traffic on the 405, car in front was probably 20 to 25 car lengths ahead, no one next to me, speed was about 75 and all the sudden the damn car brakes, hard, so I touched the brake pedal and tweaked the steering wheel to take it out of AP, and the rest of the trip to work was on manual pilot. Had there been a car in back of me, they could likely have rear ended me or caused them to swerve out of the way and had something worse happen. As I pulled into my space at work, two error messages came up, "blindspot detection limited" and "lane departure avoidance limited". Not sure the phantom braking had anything to do with the two error messages, but these gremlins are getting old..... :mad:

...all the sudden the damn car brakes, hard, so I touched the brake pedal and tweaked the steering wheel to take it out of AP, and the rest of the trip to work was on manual pilot. Had there been a car in back of me, they could likely have rear ended me or caused them to swerve out of the way and had something worse happen.
Precisely why we never use Auto Pilot nor NOA.

• Funny
Reactions: preilly44
As I pulled into my space at work, two error messages came up, "blindspot detection limited" and "lane departure avoidance limited". Not sure the phantom braking had anything to do with the two error messages, but these gremlins are getting old..... :mad:

This just means there's something on your cameras. Think of what you'd do if trying to drive with a bird poop on your contact lens. Carefully clean the camera lenses on both sides (All four) and make sure the windshield over the camera housing is clean, not streaked foggy, or buggy. I do wish the system would say which camera is having issues though.

• Funny
Reactions: St☰v☰
This just means there's something on your cameras. Think of what you'd do if trying to drive with a bird poop on your contact lens. Carefully clean the camera lenses on both sides (All four) and make sure the windshield over the camera housing is clean, not streaked foggy, or buggy. I do wish the system would say which camera is having issues though.

Funny... I washed and detailed the car yesterday, I can assure you 100% that there is nothing obscuring the cameras or sensors.

Yes please. Given that this is _all_ software, it's not unrealistic to think that TACC, ACC, and CC could all be supported. Although I imagine the problem then would be, "Sorry buddy for rear ending you I was in CC mode and I thought I was in ACC mode"

Someone else brought that up too. In either case, you have two things helping you:
  • You should be paying attention with either TACC or regular CC, especially if you're coming up on someone. An automatic reaction of tapping the brakes is all that is needed if either TACC or CC is getting too close for comfort. CC could employ extra warnings, but does not necessarily need to (and could get quite annoying if you're clear to change lanes and are going to do so).
  • Emergency braking may kick in to lessen the impact or if you're very lucky, prevent it.
Even if this was just a setting so that you only have one of TACC or regular CC while driving, I would be very happy.

Funny... I washed and detailed the car yesterday, I can assure you 100% that there is nothing obscuring the cameras or sensors.

This happens to me especially if it's getting dark or is plainly night. Cameras don't seem to get enough light in some cases and features are disabled. Was that perhaps your case?

Take a look at the 11:54 mark of this video. Major phantom braking issue.

Yay! Finally a video! First one.

Good news, bad news.
The bad news is that yes, this is really annoying and could be considered a problem because the car is not handling the situation the way a human driver would at all.
The good news is that that was not phantom braking. That was unrelated to the overpass.

Watch the video carefully during and after the lane change and you'll see the precise reason the car braked to 62.

Cookies for anybody who can figure it out before I have to explain it.

Reactions: Ilikestuff
Yay! Finally a video! First one.

Good news, bad news.
The bad news is that yes, this is really annoying and could be considered a problem because the car is not handling the situation the way a human driver would at all.
The good news is that that was not phantom braking. That was unrelated to the overpass.

Watch the video carefully during and after the lane change and you'll see the precise reason the car braked to 62.

Cookies for anybody who can figure it out before I have to explain it.
Man - you got me!! I give! Why did the car brake? Was it trying to slow down in order to slide in behind the car that in the adjacent lane??

Man - you got me!! I give! Why did the car brake? Was it trying to slow down in order to slide in behind the car that in the adjacent lane??

Yes! You got it!

Notice that once it's in that lane, it slows from overtake speed for the lane change to 63 to follow that car, dropping to 62 on occasion.

Two things happened in fact. The slowdown for the car it intended to be behind, and the initial-but-abandoned slowdown to fall behind the car to its right when that was an obstructed lane. You could see the red car and lane line indicator.

A human driver would most likely accelerate into the space and not leave full follow room behind the slower car, then slow down slowly to below that car's speed to fall back until there was enough follow distance, and regain speed.

That's tricky because cutting down that follow distance is, in all technicality, bad and increases the chance of an accident during the maneuver. Just thinking about how to handle such a thing from a programmatic standpoint is a headache, because there are so many edge cases and stupid situations that it's really hard to train for. But if you think about it, take a brand new driving student and say "You need to be going the speed of the car you'll get behind, and don't get too close behind them, and check before you change lanes, and if there's a car there, you should probably go behind it unless it gives you room", and that student will react pretty much the way the car did.

My understanding is that the best way to improve situations like the one in the video is to intervene (brake or steer to interrupt AP) and then connect to WiFi within a day if possible. The intervention data should be sent to Tesla then. I'm not sure if certain maneuver characteristics are still sent automatically without intervention.

• Informative
Reactions: turnem