Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking is the biggest issue with AutoPilot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP was, is, and always will be considered an assist system in which the driver is accountable for the action, speeds, and overall behaviour of the vehicle. There is no grey area here, the car itself warns you about this. Whatever "FSD" becomes may be different, but both its capabilities and liabilities will differ from location to location (and I suspect at the pace laws move, the responsibility will belong to the driver for quite some time).

Probable cause is still applicable, as there is no external way of knowing if "the car is driving". Even if it is a fully autonomous vehicle, dangerous or erratic driving behaviour should and will be investigated (imagine faulty systems, damaged sensors, obstructed sensors, etc. could lead to poor driving behaviour). Now, who is at fault is the interesting part still under much debate, but a cop should certainly be able to pull over an erratic autonomous car for everyone's safety.

Don't know what you mean by "fault". The situation I'm talking about there is nothing to assign "fault" for.

You use the word "dangerous". That's not what I'm addressing. "Erratic" is not a term I've seen used in court regarding this sort of traffic stop. The policeman said the driver was "weaving within his lane" or words to that effect. At no point did he make a case there was anything illegal or unsafe about the driving he observed. If the car on autopilot drives in this same manner as a normal part of its operation, it obviously is not dangerous or erratic. So now there is no reason to assume it is the driver who is the reason for the car's not unsafe and not erratic behavior.

Yes, which is why the second part of that statement is important. Non-tactile touchscreen controls are not safe, since they require visual location and confirmation to interact with. This means you are briefly not looking at the road, and we know mere seconds of doing so are dangerous (see: all smartphone usage in cars studies and reports). Therefore, when using non-beta features, the only common and well-known method to actuate the wipers that is safe (doesn't require you to look elsewhere) is the single-wipe press on the stalk. I've been known to look completely silly and keep pressing the button rhythmically until I have a safe enough period to look at the screen and select the appropriate speed (when auto isn't working right for the current situation).

Perhaps I'm just too old-fashioned for this and I just want a car that has some basic features that work well without being a danger or an inconvenience. I'm sincere about this -- I know I tend to prefer things like physical switches for the reason I mentioned above, and I also enjoy it when things work well/reliably even if their functionality is basic.

I feel your pain. I don't understand why some people say the beta wipers work just fine. I've never been able to get them to work properly all of the time. They usually start up very slowly and require a few manual interventions before they work properly. Heck, the other day they came on because of dirt on the windscreen which is a contraindication to wiping the windshield.

I agree with you 100% that the screen controls in Teslas are very dangerous. I'm willing to bet that at some point either legislation or lawsuits end up requiring them to change the UI so that no important feature of the car is done through the touch screen. I miss not being able to tune the radio (which is also lost in many other cars) and the heater without dealing with the screen. Please don't tell me about the controls on the steering wheel as they only allow you to station search, not select a preset. Does the radio even have presets? I know it doesn't have an off switch. I have to deal with it every time I get in the car.

Every other car I have ever read the manual of says TACC on access-controlled roadways only. And no, they don't do this just fine. The difference is that their drivers either don't try to use it in an improper place, or don't complain as much if they do and it doesn't do well.

Hmmm... My car used to not provide autopilot anywhere but access-controlled highways, now it leaves it up to me. If the TACC is not intended to be used anywhere else, why is it allowed???

So far I have yet to see any claims of unexpected braking be legitimized. All this bark, no videos, and a ton of people admitting its their own fault.

Huh? What would you expect to see? I'm driving 65, approaching an underpass the car abruptly slows for half a second. Unless I was videoing the speedometer, what would I record? The car's built in recording won't show anything other than the overpass. I doubt you can see the speed change.

Not sure about Canada, but the US has a plethora of cars with only touch-screen controls for a lot of things. Prius Prime is an example, And they do MUCH worse for controls. Precision finger-stabbing is necessary and occasionally four or more steps to get what you need, plus much less-responsive controls. Teslas are hugely better in the UI department.

The devil is in the details. What sort of things?

Precision finger stabbing is what the Tesla requires. I often have to punch it half a dozen times to adjust the fan speed even by one or two clicks. The problem is while in a moving car it is very hard to press a touch screen button rather than swiping it since the car is moving unevenly. Maybe that's the solution. Instead of having two buttons, one for up, one for down, they need a single button which you swipe up or down which will be much easier to do in a moving car.

Not really. All that is saying is that this is an aspect of driving the software can't cope with. I get that, in fact, that is my entire point! So, you are agreeing with me. The difference is you seem to think this is somehow acceptable because Tesla acknowledges that they aren't on the ball with this aspect.

Huh?

As pointed out- everyone elses system has the same warnings not to use them in certain places- and most of their systems are functionally inferior the places they ARE supposed to be used.

Tesla is the opposite of not on the ball here.

Lexus for example- which has offered radar cruise control longer than Tesla has been making cars... surely THEY must be ahead of Tesla at it, right?

Nope.

https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM53E71U/pdf/OM53E71U.pdf

That's the manual for the IS350- the lexus sport sedan (and the car I owned before my Tesla)

Lexus said:
Use the dynamic radar cruise control on freeways and highways

It then offers a long list of other places "unsuitable" for using it- roads with any pedestrians or cyclists, in heavy traffic (the SINGLE BEST place for TACC where it works GREAT!), and a bunch of other road, weather, and traffic conditions.

It gets WORSE though!

It won't engage under 30 mph. And it turns itself off if the car drops below 25

It only has 3 distance settings and the shortest one is about 100 feet of follow distance.

In short- it's crap compared to TACC.

Well ok forget about them fancy foreign cars- surely good old FORD does it better, right?

Nope.

Well, I mean, better than Lexus I guess since it'll work down to 0. But....

Ford on how their adaptive cruise works said:
If the vehicle is stopped for more than 3 seconds, the driver must intervene and press the "RES" button or accelerator pedal to resume

(and mind you, only 1 actual cars of theirs even does that much- the Fusion- plus a few trucks/suvs)

It has many other shortcomings too. Do you feel the same way about them as well?

Can you be specific? Because again it's a better system than anything else I've tried from other brands in most regards.

So you are saying autopilot with auto breaking should not be used on public roads??? That is the environment we call "roads". Where does the manual say not to use the autopilot on roads?

Not sure what you're babbling about here? The manual is pretty specific that it's not intended for city roads, which is where you and others seem to be complaining about it "not working right"

As I pointed out- other brands also say the same stuff- but additionally are inferior on highways too.

Hmmm... My car used to not provide autopilot anywhere but access-controlled highways, now it leaves it up to me. If the TACC is not intended to be used anywhere else, why is it allowed???

You car isn't intended to drive off a cliff either- but it'll let you do it!

HOW DANGEROUS! I DON'T GET HOW TESLA STAYS IN BUSINESS!

Precision finger stabbing is what the Tesla requires. I often have to punch it half a dozen times to adjust the fan speed even by one or two clicks.

Why are you adjusting fan speed? Auto works great.

Not really. All that is saying is that this is an aspect of driving the software can't cope with. I get that, in fact, that is my entire point! So, you are agreeing with me. The difference is you seem to think this is somehow acceptable because Tesla acknowledges that they aren't on the ball with this aspect. It has many other shortcomings too. Do you feel the same way about them as well?

So you are saying autopilot with auto breaking should not be used on public roads??? That is the environment we call "roads". Where does the manual say not to use the autopilot on roads?

Access Controlled Roadways are freeways and highways that have set entrances and exits for access and have split traffic. There are no signals, stops, or cross traffic. People do not turn right from a travel lane, nor do people turn left across any travel lanes.
Works better than other TACCs in situations where both are good to use. Expecting it to work for places that it's not expected to be used is not too good of an idea. You're complaining that their Level 2 autonomy doesn't work as a Level 5 autonomous system. It's like complaining that there's not enough fish in McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Page 69 of the manual:
"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."

Page 75 of the manual:
"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."

Because they expect the driver to use good judgement and some common sense about things. You're effectively saying something akin to "If this knife is not intended to be used to stab myself in the thigh,why does it allow me to?" or "No car is intended to be used to speed and run from police, why do the cars let that happen?" The human holding the knife and sticking it in their thigh and the criminal running from police are the ones responsible for not being stupid, not the knife or the car.

Or to put it another way:
Your old car didn't trust you because it thought you (and other drivers) are too stupid to follow written rules and so had to enforce them with technology.

People doing stupid stuff with things become statistics and get good stuff taken away. Can't buy the little magnets in the US because despite many warnings on them about "Don't let small children get these because it can kill them!" people let their small children get them and - surprise of surprises - kids died because people were dumb. So now smart folks can't have the magnets either.

Huh? What would you expect to see? I'm driving 65, approaching an underpass the car abruptly slows for half a second. Unless I was videoing the speedometer, what would I record? The car's built in recording won't show anything other than the overpass. I doubt you can see the speed change.

I did forensic video analysis as part of my work before, including velocity checks from security camera video. Abruptly slows for half a second? Assuming you're not exaggerating the short duration of the slowdown, that's a dozen and a half frames. if it did a full emergency braking for half a second, the velocity would decrease just about 10 MPH in that time. A "hard braking event" would drop the speed by about 3.5 to 5 MPH. All of these, and other things that a driver can mistake for braking, are often apparent in videos. The only thing we actually can't see is whether you are faking it by tapping the brakes yourself. Only you and Tesla can know that for certain, and I'm willing to trust you. Are you trustworthy?

The devil is in the details. What sort of things?

Precision finger stabbing is what the Tesla requires. I often have to punch it half a dozen times to adjust the fan speed even by one or two clicks. The problem is while in a moving car it is very hard to press a touch screen button rather than swiping it since the car is moving unevenly. Maybe that's the solution. Instead of having two buttons, one for up, one for down, they need a single button which you swipe up or down which will be much easier to do in a moving car.

On my Prius Prime, the media controls were 8mm square buttons on the screen with a pitch of 10mm. Environment controls were a pitch of 12mm and button size of 10mm. Overall, very small.

I applaud you for looking for solutions instead of problems. One person's precision finger stabbing is another's casual gesture though.

Something that may helpful is to note that the center console in an M3 has an edge and back which you can use to stabilize your hand. Place fingers on bottom edge and poke with your thumb for a very easy effect. Or when working on things on the left side of the screen, place your thumb on the left of the screen and tap with any finger you find easiest to do so with.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
What happened was- someone used a feature in a situation it's explicitly not intended to be used- so the feature being confused about that shouldn't surprise anyone who understands this.

It was on a highway, as suggested by Tesla. Some highways have sorts of "exit lanes" for turning right. Tesla does not say "do not use TACC on highways if traffic may exit the highway via dedicated lanes besides you current travel lane", nor do they say "TACC does not support vehicles driving slower in other lanes". Sure, Tesla can't make an exhaustive list (and they say what's in the manual isn't an exhaustive list), but they shouldn't need to. Highways have exit lanes. So do freeways. Highways and freeways are supported, and these are hardly problematic conditions like winding roads, poor weather conditions, etc.

My own experience is that other MFGs TACC equivalents are terrible compared to Teslas.

Most I experienced before buying my car wouldn't work at all below like 30 mph, come to full stops, or resume from stops....making them utterly useless in stop and go traffic on a highway.

And even then they usually had a minimum follow distance so far away I would constantly get cut off and dropped even further back over and over again.

Test driving a Tesla and seeing how much better their system was than anybody elses I'd used (Infiniti, Lexus, GM (non supercruise), etc) was literally the thing that made me want to buy the car.

But again I actually paid attention to where the system is supposed to work and where it's not.

Why do you need it to work below 30mph? Most cruise systems don't, and you're not supposed to go that slow on a freeway nor a highway, which are the only supported usages of TACC. If it's for accidents, construction, etc. you are intended to take full control of the vehicle, as those are unsupported cases.

You can. Buy one without Autopilot and that's exactly what you get.

I think the owners manual mentions that fact too- lotsa neat stuff you seem to be missing out on not reading it :)

AP has come with all Models 3s for a while now, and I did not have the option to remove it. The manual only mentions that one should read the manual if you don't have Autopilot, and doesn't actually outline how cruise functions in this case (perhaps it is even TACC as well, it's unclear). But let's suppose it is indeed "dumb cruise", why can't I have that as an option for models with AP as well so that I have a non-beta option to use?

Translation: You were using it where you are not supposed to. This is entirely your fault and you should feel bad for it.

As above, what are you basing this on? It was a highway. The car turning right was in their own dedicated right turn/exit lane. I fail to see how this could be an unsupported case. If so, TACC shouldn't be used at all in Western Canada and I therefore have no supported version of cruise control in a 2019 vehicle? I just want to use cruise on highways like I always have (TACC or "dumb" cruise), why is this so difficult when it comes to Tesla and their fanbase?

So far I have yet to see any claims of unexpected braking be legitimized. All this bark, no videos, and a ton of people admitting its their own fault.

Wholly anecdotal. Where's the videos or lack of self-incrimination? And what about the people who say theirs works perfectly fine or better than their prior vehicles'? Human tribalism indicates that you will only accept anecdotal evidence that supports your view.

The world operates on a lot of anecdote. The system clearly has limitations, both on paper and in people's experiences. Sure, anyone can lie on the internet. People can also be reaching out to see if others share their experience, get Tesla's attention to fix something that's not right, or be corrected. These are all noble pursuits and don't require irrefutable evidence. This is a forum, not a courthouse.

You can. Don't buy the FSD package and it's regular CC, not TACC.

I did not purchase FSD. I have TACC.

Please do. Dash cam footage is fine. It's completely analyzable. I do want to see actual misbehavior. It's very difficult to fix actual problems when there are a lot of people crowing about problems that are not actual problems. Let me know when it's available. Quick advisory though: Any use in situations where it's not proper (city streets, non-access-controlled roadways) is already an automatic fail on your part and will be pointed out as such if you bother to post them. No TACC is meant for city streets on any cars.

I have always mentioned on-highway usage, as has nearly all (or perhaps truly all) other posters in this thread in their anecdotes. The manual does not state that it's only for access-controlled highways (i.e. freeways), in fact the line saying starting with "When cruising near an exit on a controlled access road [...]" may imply there are supported scenarios outside of freeways.

I think it's entirely fair to not count right turn lanes off of a highway as "cross traffic", as this traffic is not crossing the highway.

I have used cruise in town where we have one really long straight road with almost no traffic on it. I know this is an unsupported case and so have never mentioned it, especially negatively. Oddly enough, this is the only place where TACC and Autosteer have worked their best for me.

Not sure about Canada, but the US has a plethora of cars with only touch-screen controls for a lot of things. Prius Prime is an example, And they do MUCH worse for controls. Precision finger-stabbing is necessary and occasionally four or more steps to get what you need, plus much less-responsive controls. Teslas are hugely better in the UI department.

Two touches to turn wipers on. Also notable that the technology behind both TACC and Auto Wipers is actually not 100% the same as other vehicles. TACC has more data inputs and AW have different data input. So yes, some of this is being built from the ground up. That extra input is why the TACC and safety features of a Tesla are safer than the TACC of other vehicles.

Canada has many of the same vehicles. And the Prius Prime indeed is a very touch-focused vehicle, but different in some key ways. Common controls like temperature have tactile depressions so you can locate by touch accurately. Not to mention the fact there are actually a lot of physical buttons still. One should need to only rarely interact with the touch screen, and not for something as safety-critical as wipers.

As another poster pointed out, precise finger-stabbing is still needed because it's a touchscreen without any tactile guidance or tactile feedback. I agree the UI and touchscreen of the Model 3 is extraordinarily more responsive than essentially all others, and if not for this fact I would never have bought the vehicle. Credit is due there. However, the very fact that a safety-critical feature is accessed via the touchscreen (one touchscreen press required, yes) is notable because other manufacturers are not putting something that critical "four or more steps" away.

As far as building technologies from the ground up, that's great. Perhaps there's some innovation they can bring forward and make an attractive improvement to customers. However, as a consumer, if these new approaches are delivered to me sub-par, I'm not giving a pass just because they tried to do it a different way. For example, rain sensors have worked well for over a decade, and Tesla decided to forgo it for a novel system that currently can't perform as well, with it being unclear if it ever will.

I feel your pain. I don't understand why some people say the beta wipers work just fine. I've never been able to get them to work properly all of the time. They usually start up very slowly and require a few manual interventions before they work properly. Heck, the other day they came on because of dirt on the windscreen which is a contraindication to wiping the windshield.

I agree with you 100% that the screen controls in Teslas are very dangerous. I'm willing to bet that at some point either legislation or lawsuits end up requiring them to change the UI so that no important feature of the car is done through the touch screen. I miss not being able to tune the radio (which is also lost in many other cars) and the heater without dealing with the screen. Please don't tell me about the controls on the steering wheel as they only allow you to station search, not select a preset. Does the radio even have presets? I know it doesn't have an off switch. I have to deal with it every time I get in the car.

For what it's worth, every Model 3 owner I've talked to in person agrees that the auto wipers don't quite cut it. Sometimes it wipes too frequently (meh, not a big issue). Sometimes it doesn't wipe enough (very bad). This is very dependent on the "style" of moisture on the windshield (fine rain, downpour, spray from other vehicles, snow, slush, etc.) as well as more odd things like time of day and other light sources (e.g. headlights, billboards). Sometimes, it's just right. Service tech mentioned the Model S auto is simply flawless and he hasn't touched it since day one, but almost everyone complains about the Model 3 auto wipers.

The radio has presets!! I use them. Clicking left and right on left scroll wheel while on FM radio will cycle between the presets. I don't know how to set them off-hand, my wife did it. The saving grace is that you don't need to "seek" if you are looking for a non-preset station, as the touch screen only populates with available stations that you can select by tapping. It's kinda nice, but still touch-based yes.

This is actually a really good point. Even something like a 50km/h (30mph) minimum speed could help address this without location ambiguity.

Lexus for example- which has offered radar cruise control longer than Tesla has been making cars... surely THEY must be ahead of Tesla at it, right?

Nope.

That's the manual for the IS350- the lexus sport sedan (and the car I owned before my Tesla)

It then offers a long list of other places "unsuitable" for using it- roads with any pedestrians or cyclists, in heavy traffic (the SINGLE BEST place for TACC where it works GREAT!), and a bunch of other road, weather, and traffic conditions.

It gets WORSE though!

It only has 3 distance settings and the shortest one is about 100 feet of follow distance.

Ah, ok, I think we have different requirements of TACC which might help explain our differences on the subject.

I personally don't care about TACC operating below 30mph or 50km/h. I actually don't want to use it at those speeds, because that's likely a situation I need to be in unassisted full control (construction, accident scene, traffic jam). I also would like distance settings that keep further away from the vehicle in front. The max of 7 puts me uncomfortably close to motorcycles in particular, which I normally give more space to because they don't have a metal cage if something goes wrong. If someone goes in front of me while I was leaving plenty of room, it makes no difference to me.

For Lexus, they do not seem to say anything about phantom braking in their manual other than sudden road angle transitions (uphill/downhill). However, Tesla does call out...

> "Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model 3 to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it..."

That is the precise difference that is under discussion in this thread. Tesla is acknowledging the problem in the very manual everyone keeps saying we need to read, while suggesting there is no phantom braking issue and if there is, every manufacturer deals with it.

So let's be clear: Phantom braking exists. It's noted in the owner's manual. It is a bad thing. Other manufacturers may or may not also have that problem, but at least one does not seem to raise awareness to their operators that they would encounter this which would be prudent if it was as frequent as our anecdotes for the Model 3 imply.

... (and mind you, only 1 actual cars of theirs even does that much- the Fusion- plus a few trucks/suvs)

"One plus a few" is certainly more than just one...

Last edited:
Reactions: tvad

:facepalm:

Can we agree as a community that "auto <insert feature here>" does not cover every desire, perhaps not even most common ones? Let's be reasonable. We don't need to take a company's auto algorithm and assign it as the best standard, because life and personal preferences are a lot more nuanced than that. Heck, survey people living with others if they agree on the temperature of the house. You will find many don't, and there is no universal "Auto" thermostat that will even make a majority of people happy! So systems need some tweakability, and that is very welcomed.

So let's tackle the question. Why would I adjust fan speed?
  • Because I'm trying to have a conversation and speed 10 is just way too loud
  • Because I personally don't like strong airflow
  • Because I personally like airflow and auto is doing too little airflow for my liking.
And there is more to "Auto" than just fan speed:
  • I want to turn A/C off as I don't need to waste the energy when the outside air is cool enough for cooling purposes, so fan-only works
  • I want to turn on the back vents because my dog is back there and he doesn't weigh enough for the car to do so automatically
  • I want to direct the airflow to my (hands/feet/windshield) because that's how I like it
  • I want to direct airflow away from my (hands/feet/windshield) because I don't like it
  • I am doing as instructed by Tesla service to disable A/C when I don't need it to prevent the "mold smell" from condensation on the A/C unit
And I know there are "but's" to this. But the thing is, when asked why for this, there are personal reasons, and that's what you will get. And that is perfectly good and reasonable, because these are ultimately personal preferences we can't model with a single profile.

Last edited:
It was on a highway, as suggested by Tesla. Some highways have sorts of "exit lanes" for turning right.

Which ones?

All the ones I've driven in, in dozens of states, have actual exit ramps, not "turn lanes"

Why do you need it to work below 30mph?

Because traffic often goes below 30 on highways during rush hour?

Most cruise systems don't

Right- which is one of the many reasons Teslas system is better.

Glad you finally realized it! :)

, and you're not supposed to go that slow on a freeway nor a highway

Look, I googled your town- I'm sure it's very nice to live in the Canadian boonies where there's never traffic, but that's not where most folks actually live or drive.

AP has come with all Models 3s for a while now

No, it hasn't.

The SR for example doesn't have it (though the SR+ does)... I know canada has some weird SR- too I suspect it doesn't have it either but not sure.

and I did not have the option to remove it. The manual only mentions that one should read the manual if you don't have Autopilot, and doesn't actually outline how cruise functions in this case (perhaps it is even TACC as well, it's unclear). But let's suppose it is indeed "dumb cruise", why can't I have that as an option for models with AP as well so that I have a non-beta option to use?

Because having two different CC systems, especially on a car with no visible indicator which you're using right then in front of the driver, is potentially dangerous.

"Sorry officer, I thought it was on the kind of cruise that slows down in traffic so I was surprised as anybody when it hit that car!"

Ah, ok, I think we have different requirements of TACC which might help explain our differences on the subject.

I personally don't care about TACC operating below 30mph or 50km/h. I actually don't want to use it at those speeds, because that's likely a situation I need to be in unassisted full control (construction, accident scene, traffic jam).

Traffic jams are by far the best use case for TACC that exists

It turns driving to/from work every day into a 1000% better experience.

It's literally why I bought the car because it was so much better than anyone elses for such driving.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

My Volvo rental from 2017 or so had perfectly functioning distance based cruise. Worked at all speeds, even through extended stops on full gridlocked traffic.

Because Tesla is the most prominent party of the autonomous driving charge, and (some of) its fans are equally in fervor, it creates the perfect storm of confusion on what Tesla AP is, can, and should be.

People variously claim its first (nope), unique (nope), and the best (clearly debatable).

Last 2 cars of mine had fan control to complement auto climate. Auto climate is a *target* temp. Fan override allows you to control how quickly/loudly/softly the cabin reaches that temp. Sometimes you want that blast of cool air. Sometimes you don't. It's useful level of control to have.

FWIW, I use NOA whenever it's available, and AP/AS a lot when it's not. And NOT using it nearly killed me.

The other day I was about to engage NOA entering the freeway, but, what the heck, I made the start of the merge in manual. A car ran up on my left in my blind spot and I had to sharply swerve right to avoid it. This is what I'm scared of. And it's the last straw. I'm now engaging NOA sooner. It's a lot safer that way.

This is where NOA shines. It does a fantastic job merging, changing lanes, and avoiding blind spot problems. Of late it's gotten downright polished at accelerating or slowing to grab a lane. I wish I were that good. Maybe that's what it comes down to. My wife just chills like she was riding the bus. In January, she started out clawing the seat. Now she says "you and Nicki together drive perfect". I swallow my pride at the subtle implications, but, hey, it's the result that counts.

As to improper lane changes and random slowing some people complain about, Nicki simply doesn't do that of late. I keep the auto on Mad Max and let it do what it wants. If it occasionally makes decisions that aren't Schumacher+ grade, so what? I'm in control at all times. And it requires less and less babysitting. Damn, anybody who prefers doing all their own chores, your choice, but gentlepersons, you're working too hard.

Don't know what @holmgang is missing, I drop the fan speed all the time, my wife gets congestion if the fan blows too hard.

Last edited:
Huh?

As pointed out- everyone elses system has the same warnings not to use them in certain places- and most of their systems are functionally inferior the places they ARE supposed to be used.

Nope.

It gets WORSE though!

Well ok forget about them fancy foreign cars- surely good old FORD does it better, right?

Nope.

Well, I mean, better than Lexus I guess since it'll work down to 0. But....

(and mind you, only 1 actual cars of theirs even does that much- the Fusion- plus a few trucks/suvs)

Can you be specific? Because again it's a better system than anything else I've tried from other brands in most regards.

Not sure what you're babbling about here? The manual is pretty specific that it's not intended for city roads, which is where you and others seem to be complaining about it "not working right"

As I pointed out- other brands also say the same stuff- but additionally are inferior on highways too.

You car isn't intended to drive off a cliff either- but it'll let you do it!

HOW DANGEROUS! I DON'T GET HOW TESLA STAYS IN BUSINESS!

It is very hard to discuss an issue with you. I make a valid, factual statement and you respond mocking me as if I am being hysterical.

When you want to discuss something, let me know.

Reactions: camalaio and tvad
Access Controlled Roadways are freeways and highways that have set entrances and exits for access and have split traffic. There are no signals, stops, or cross traffic. People do not turn right from a travel lane, nor do people turn left across any travel lanes.
Works better than other TACCs in situations where both are good to use. Expecting it to work for places that it's not expected to be used is not too good of an idea. You're complaining that their Level 2 autonomy doesn't work as a Level 5 autonomous system. It's like complaining that there's not enough fish in McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Page 69 of the manual:
"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."

This is one of my complaints about the warnings in the manual. They aren't very clear. What does this say about dry, straight roads that aren't in the city and aren't "highways or freeways"? To me these would be acceptable by this definition. If you read contracts, they often state a description of a group, then list examples, but the list is not exclusive, rather inclusive since they are only examples of the description. That is how this text should be interpreted. If they meant only "highways and freeways" they should say only "highways and freeways". They also should not use the qualifier "primarily" with "intended" which specifically says TACC is intended to be used on other roads not described here.

Page 75 of the manual:
"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."

This is what I am talking about. At one time you were not allowed by the car to use Autosteer on any roads other than the type Tesla intended. Then they removed that restriction. That seems to me to open them up for liability. Remember that gross liability can't necessarily be waived by signing a form.

Because they expect the driver to use good judgement and some common sense about things. You're effectively saying something akin to "If this knife is not intended to be used to stab myself in the thigh,why does it allow me to?" or "No car is intended to be used to speed and run from police, why do the cars let that happen?" The human holding the knife and sticking it in their thigh and the criminal running from police are the ones responsible for not being stupid, not the knife or the car.

Your analogy is flawed... hugely. Or should I say, "bigly"? The first problem is the Tesla can and at times did restrict the use of a dangerous mode of operation. They removed that restriction. There are many others which is often true with analogies. Analogies don't prove a point. They can be used to illustrate it when applied appropriately.

Or to put it another way:
Your old car didn't trust you because it thought you (and other drivers) are too stupid to follow written rules and so had to enforce them with technology.

By "old car" you mean the Tesla I still own? Are you suggesting every time Tesla updates the software I have a new car?

The part I don't get is why would you think they should have rules that are not enforced if it is easy to enforce???

People doing stupid stuff with things become statistics and get good stuff taken away. Can't buy the little magnets in the US because despite many warnings on them about "Don't let small children get these because it can kill them!" people let their small children get them and - surprise of surprises - kids died because people were dumb. So now smart folks can't have the magnets either.

I'm not even going to try to explain why this reasoning is flawed. I doubt it would have any impact.

I did forensic video analysis as part of my work before, including velocity checks from security camera video. Abruptly slows for half a second? Assuming you're not exaggerating the short duration of the slowdown, that's a dozen and a half frames. if it did a full emergency braking for half a second, the velocity would decrease just about 10 MPH in that time. A "hard braking event" would drop the speed by about 3.5 to 5 MPH. All of these, and other things that a driver can mistake for braking, are often apparent in videos. The only thing we actually can't see is whether you are faking it by tapping the brakes yourself. Only you and Tesla can know that for certain, and I'm willing to trust you. Are you trustworthy?

You seem to be making a point, but you actually don't connect the dots. Why would I be complaining about the car braking if I were doing it. I have no idea where you are trying to go with this. I expect you just didn't give this much thought.

On my Prius Prime, the media controls were 8mm square buttons on the screen with a pitch of 10mm. Environment controls were a pitch of 12mm and button size of 10mm. Overall, very small.

I applaud you for looking for solutions instead of problems. One person's precision finger stabbing is another's casual gesture though.

Not very relevant when they are each driving a car. They have adjustable seats for a reason, so cars can be used by many. The control interfaces of a car need to either be operable while moving, or only required and accessible when sitting still. There are very few parts of the console that fit those requirements.

Something that may helpful is to note that the center console in an M3 has an edge and back which you can use to stabilize your hand. Place fingers on bottom edge and poke with your thumb for a very easy effect. Or when working on things on the left side of the screen, place your thumb on the left of the screen and tap with any finger you find easiest to do so with.

If you are having to do all that, you just shouldn't be doing it while driving. It really is that simple.

One of the classes I had to take to get a driver's license had a video of a guy who lost a child in an accident caused by him being distracted for literally one second. He was diverted from the road for a single second in which a situation developed where there was no longer anything he could do to prevent the accident and save the life of his child.

At some point there will be a study done of these consoles and the data will clearly show that virtually every interaction with them significantly increases the probability of a tragic accident. They simply have to be voice operated, there is no other way.

My Volvo rental from 2017 or so had perfectly functioning distance based cruise. Worked at all speeds, even through extended stops on full gridlocked traffic.

Because Tesla is the most prominent party of the autonomous driving charge, and (some of) its fans are equally in fervor, it creates the perfect storm of confusion on what Tesla AP is, can, and should be.

People variously claim its first (nope), unique (nope), and the best (clearly debatable).

Last 2 cars of mine had fan control to complement auto climate. Auto climate is a *target* temp. Fan override allows you to control how quickly/loudly/softly the cabin reaches that temp. Sometimes you want that blast of cool air. Sometimes you don't. It's useful level of control to have.

I've always wondered what temperature the auto climate is controlling. No small part of the problem is I use my body as a sensor which is in the sun behind a ton of glass in the model X. I don't know where the car sensor is, but it seldom works well enough to keep me cool or warm. That's actually true for virtually every car I've ever ridden in. I have always been most happy with the manual controls where I directly control the flappers in the ducts and the thermostat. In my first cars they had valves on the hot water so you at least didn't get any heat from the heater core in the summer even if the firewall and transmission hump were warm.

Because having two different CC systems, especially on a car with no visible indicator which you're using right then in front of the driver, is potentially dangerous.

"Sorry officer, I thought it was on the kind of cruise that slows down in traffic so I was surprised as anybody when it hit that car!"

This is a problem with all the "smart" cars. Switching between them and god forbid with "dumb" cars is potentially dangerous. More than once I am surprised when my 2005 Tundra doesn't steer when I engage the cruise control. The control is on the right and I find myself reaching for it on the left to bump the speed up a mph or two.

I remember many years ago reading about the head of Daimler finding out that an older couple died because, like every car of the time, the headlight and window wiper controls were identical and on opposite sides of the instrument cluster (speedometer). He reached for the wipers but turned off the headlights. He immediately changed the layout to prevent it ever happening again. I think the left mounted cruise stalk is likewise too similar to the turn signal stalk. In this case mounting on the opposite side of the steering wheel would be more appropriate, both for internal reasons and to be more like other cars.

"Diverted from the road for a single second" - Looking at a driver's console behind the steering wheel takes about the same amount of time. Looking down to the right to work manual controls takes even longer. You're pointing to things that are standard and claiming they are "Tesla Problems" when they're not. Manual controls are not the panacea for Safe Driving. Set the headlights to Auto on a car with headlight controls on a wheel stem, then a year later have them be set to Off coming out of the shop. Good luck trying to figure out how to fix it in the dark with no lights on the controls on a busy street. That's a serious danger that Tesla avoids.

The claims have gotten to be a bit too QQ and nitpicky. You're focusing on the word and not the meaning of the communication, and not using common sense. Learn how the technology works. Learn its limitations and things that impact it. You will be a better and more knowledgeable person for it.

the problem is

You (and others) have problems. I (and others) don't have problems. This doesn't mean your problems don't exist. But without coming and doing a very thorough diagnosis for you, it's all anecdotal and there is no way for anybody to know if problem exists in software or PEBSAW, or just subjectively.

I was on a two-lane, curvy road in my Prius Prime. On a left curve, the car in front of me pulled off to the side of the road and stopped. My car panicked and alarmed, then slammed on the brakes for me because it had no way of knowing that the car that was stopping was off to the right and I was going to the left of it in the travel lane. That wasn't even TACC and was an established car company and was more expensive than my Tesla. But I understood how the technology worked and so I was okay with that. Even human beings driving make mistakes. Just remember: Statistically, the car makes fewer mistakes than you do, so if you're seeing a lot of mistakes in the car, one might wonder how many you're not seeing in yourself.

As for why you'd press the brakes yourself? Why do people claim "OMG It accelerated when I was stomping the brake!!" when they were actually stomping the accelerator? Why do people short TSLA and then want to create controversy to try to make money? Why does being told you're wrong activate the same regions of the brain as being punched does and people react mentally with a fight or flight as a result? There are lots of possible reasons. I'm simply pointing out that of all the claims of unexpected braking, I've been sent two videos and neither of them showed any unexpected braking. If it's happening all the time to a whole bunch of people, there should be many videos on YouTube about it, because people like to complain about problems. Statistically - from a severely insufficient sample - 100% of claims that have been backed up with "proof" were shown to not be an issue.

We're saying:
We don't feel it's as big a problem as some people want to make it out to be. That's subjective. We can try to soothe you, but if you don';t want to be reassured, then fine. We're not going to be riled up.
Be a constructive criticizer.
If you can't handle it, get a different car or don't use a feature that you don't like. I don't use Slacker and I'm not complaining. I view the cost of the car as the cost for features that are critical: It goes from here to there in relative safety using batteries. Everything else is just added bonus I'm getting "for free" and I'm not gonna gripe about free stuff. I just don't use it. There's already enough negativity in the world. No reason to add to it. It's not good for your own health.

• Funny
Reactions: youngmcdonald
The fact- already explained exhaustively- that the system is not intended to be used with cross traffic

The default assumption of the TACC/AP today is that all cars are going the same direction as you are

So it has no understanding whatsoever what a turning-across-your-lane-car is.

It just sees there's suddenly a huge radar signature in front of it that you are approaching at speed.

So it hitting the brakes when it sees that is 100% rational

I agree- people who keep insisting on using drivers aids in situations the manual explicitly says not to use them are very dangerous.

I agree with you in principle, but a driver doesn’t always know what’s ahead. If there’s a cross traffic situation, and if the NOAP is simply unaware of it to the extent that it brakes dangerously, then we are considerably away from autonomous driving. I fully understand that Autopilot is not autonomous driving but it is an extremely important problem it must solve.

In its current state, driver must intervene AP as soon as a cross traffic situation is detected so it’s definitely a little risky unless you’re on a major highway with miles and miles of nothing but straight lane driving. And that’s all everyone is saying here at least at the start of the thread that AP cannot detect these situations early enough and brakes really dangerously hard. We get it, it’s an limitation of AP that FSD aims to improve. Fact remains, it can get you rear ended in sudden situations.

Reactions: T3slaOwner
"Diverted from the road for a single second" - Looking at a driver's console behind the steering wheel takes about the same amount of time.

But you aren't really off the road. My vision allows me to still see the road when looking at the IC.

Looking down to the right to work manual controls takes even longer.

That's the point. Manual controls don't need to be seen to be operated. The only things in my truck that require vision to operate are the 4WD controls because they don't get used often. The AC and heater controls are knobs and buttons I can feel to know their position and operate. My previous truck was better with a floor mounted 4WD shifter and slide levers rather than rotating knobs.

You're pointing to things that are standard and claiming they are "Tesla Problems" when they're not. Manual controls are not the panacea for Safe Driving. Set the headlights to Auto on a car with headlight controls on a wheel stem, then a year later have them be set to Off coming out of the shop. Good luck trying to figure out how to fix it in the dark with no lights on the controls on a busy street. That's a serious danger that Tesla avoids.

Why would you wait to turn on your head lights until you are on a busy street? You've lost me. The headlights in my truck are on the turn signal stem. They have the daytime running lights (which Tesla still does not support) and I never have to turn them on or off. They turn off when I turn off the engine and they turn on when I start the car. I have no idea what hazard you are referring to.

The Tesla requires me to manually turn on the headlights through the dangerous console when I drive on a road where headlights are required by law.

The claims have gotten to be a bit too QQ and nitpicky. You're focusing on the word and not the meaning of the communication, and not using common sense. Learn how the technology works. Learn its limitations and things that impact it. You will be a better and more knowledgeable person for it.

You didn't quote what you are responding to so I can't really respond to what you are complaining about being nitpicky. I will say the problem is the technology and the ways in which it works poorly or not at all. Ignoring that the technology has flaws won't help fix them. I'm not alone in complaining. In fact one guy I know who seems to not like Teslas at all, has a neighbor who bought a model 3 who said, "The car does what it wants, not what I want". That was him, not me.

You (and others) have problems. I (and others) don't have problems. This doesn't mean your problems don't exist. But without coming and doing a very thorough diagnosis for you, it's all anecdotal and there is no way for anybody to know if problem exists in software or PEBSAW, or just subjectively.

Uh, the problems are problems. You sound like my service center. I had a friend trapped in my back seat when the doors refused to open by the inside or outside handles. I did a bug report (what they call a time stamp) and reported it promptly (even though it ruined a nice evening out taking nearly an hour to get through to someone on the phone). I also documented a gull wing door that erratically "sees" an object by the door (which isn't there) and won't open fully with photos and a bug report. They have given me specific training in why the doors don't open fully and won't acknowledge there are any problems to fix.

I was on a two-lane, curvy road in my Prius Prime. On a left curve, the car in front of me pulled off to the side of the road and stopped. My car panicked and alarmed, then slammed on the brakes for me because it had no way of knowing that the car that was stopping was off to the right and I was going to the left of it in the travel lane. That wasn't even TACC and was an established car company and was more expensive than my Tesla. But I understood how the technology worked and so I was okay with that. Even human beings driving make mistakes. Just remember: Statistically, the car makes fewer mistakes than you do, so if you're seeing a lot of mistakes in the car, one might wonder how many you're not seeing in yourself.

Sure, if it is an unusual occurrence, better safe than sorry. The problem with the Tesla TACC is the many, common false alarms from everyday conditions. Yeah, I get that the Tesla is doing more and so there will be more problems. One person died when his Tesla didn't recognize a truck trailer because it was white against the bright sky. But at some point Tesla needs to fix these false alarms and deal with the BS situations like cars that you can't possibly hit.

As for why you'd press the brakes yourself? Why do people claim "OMG It accelerated when I was stomping the brake!!" when they were actually stomping the accelerator? Why do people short TSLA and then want to create controversy to try to make money? Why does being told you're wrong activate the same regions of the brain as being punched does and people react mentally with a fight or flight as a result? There are lots of possible reasons. I'm simply pointing out that of all the claims of unexpected braking, I've been sent two videos and neither of them showed any unexpected braking. If it's happening all the time to a whole bunch of people, there should be many videos on YouTube about it, because people like to complain about problems. Statistically - from a severely insufficient sample - 100% of claims that have been backed up with "proof" were shown to not be an issue.

So you are ignoring the many claims of unexpected braking that you read here? My service center doesn't seem to believe any of the proof I've provided so why should you?

What do you expect to see in a video of sudden braking? How would you tell if it happened or not?

I'll say that next time it happens to me, I'll grab a recording from the car, but I don't know how that would show you anything other than video of the overpass or trees.

We're saying:
We don't feel it's as big a problem as some people want to make it out to be. That's subjective. We can try to soothe you, but if you don';t want to be reassured, then fine. We're not going to be riled up.

I get that for sure. Not only do you not feel it is something to worry about, you seem to be in denial that it happens.

Be a constructive criticizer.
If you can't handle it, get a different car or don't use a feature that you don't like.

LOL!!!! If you want me to get another car, write me a check for the purchase price and I'll sell it to you. Otherwise your comment about my using the car should be kept to yourself.

I don't use Slacker and I'm not complaining. I view the cost of the car as the cost for features that are critical: It goes from here to there in relative safety using batteries. Everything else is just added bonus I'm getting "for free" and I'm not gonna gripe about free stuff. I just don't use it. There's already enough negativity in the world. No reason to add to it. It's not good for your own health.

Lol, you are a trip. How about if you don't like my posts, you don't read them. Don't reply to my posts and we will both be happy. Deal?

Which ones?

All the ones I've driven in, in dozens of states, have actual exit ramps, not "turn lanes"

I'm not certain of the distinction, but I gather it is a matter of the length of the lane? Here we have both. Many locations have high enough traffic volumes that the exit lane is like another lane and runs for perhaps a quarter mile. Often they are two lanes wide. This prevents everyone from cramming into the right hand lane in order to turn onto a two lane ramp which would then be pointless.

4BC5AD81-7B57-4A82-9295-A34358588731.gif

• Informative
Reactions: youngmcdonald