Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain Can be minimized/ controlled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have discovered phantom drain specifically the 8 hour time I am at work has been reduced from 4% to zero. My daily 82 mile RT commute is very repeatable. I noticed the percent SOC when parking at work made a difference. If my battery was roughly 60-67%, I would lose 4-5% every day. I learned if I adjusted my daily charge limit to 67 vs 80, that places it at 55% when I park. Consistently reduces Phantom drain to zero change. Please help and comment if you find similar results. This works best on daily repeatable commutes. Phantom Drain is zero when I park at any 51% to 57%. Now what could be causing this? Maybe relays energizing in the HV battery? Got me. Please help woth this research. Maybe we can help Tesla come up with an update fix.

If my battery was roughly 60-67%, I would lose 4-5% every day.

This does not make sense. A model Y will lose about 1% / week if Sentry and overhead protection are off. For example, on a recent trip I left my car at the airport for 2-weeks and it lost just 2% (started at 79% came home at 77%). If you are losing 4-5% over a few hours something else is amiss. The fact that it does not do this at a lower SOC also makes no sense.

My guess is this has something to do with battery temperature. A good test would to arrive at home within the higher range and let the car sit for a least 24-hours, then read the SOC. Repeat at the low SOC range and see if there is a difference

Reactions: Mike_TV and Rocky_H
What you report is not “phantom drain”, which is an actual consumption of pack energy from parasitic/standby losses.

The sudden 4% loss you see at certain states or charge is clearly some sort of BMS adjustment/measurement bug.

Parking at a different state of charge might keep you from suffering the indignity of seeing the SoC estimate drop, but it’s not actually changing the amount of energy your car consumes.

What you report is not “phantom drain”, which is an actual consumption of pack energy from parasitic/standby losses.

The sudden 4% loss you see at certain states or charge is clearly some sort of BMS adjustment/measurement bug.

Parking at a different state of charge might keep you from suffering the indignity of seeing the SoC estimate drop, but it’s not actually changing the amount of energy your car consumes.
I would suspect that its just the weather is warmer.

I notice similar behavior. The percentage never drops once it is below 50%. I work from home and it is always in the garage. Most days I only drive 1 to 2 miles. But two times a week if it is above 60% it is bound to lose a few percentages, even if it is plugged in.

I notice similar behavior. The percentage never drops once it is below 50%. I work from home and it is always in the garage. Most days I only drive 1 to 2 miles. But two times a week if it is above 60% it is bound to lose a few percentages, even if it is plugged in.
I would repeat this observation at a variety of SOCs 100-200 times and then report back.

As was mentioned above, these shifts aren’t related to actual energy use. Energy use is determined by what features are being used. It is what it is, and what SOC you are at is not relevant (until it drops below 20% of course).