Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone and Keycard Locked in Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe.
In order to sell you a fob there has to be circuitry and antennas in the car to send and receive the fob signals.
Most cars probably have 4 or 5 antennas with a 2-3 foot range each located all around the car in order to sense where the fob is (inside or outside the car).

I doubt that if this stuff isn't already in the car that it would be just a couple of hundred dollars to add it, if it is even possible.

I haven't had any problem with the phone as key. Sometimes I think it is a bit of an improvement but mostly it seems like it is something I have to think about more than an older key fob to not accidentally have the car lock when I don't want it to. I find myself just leaving the driver door open when I'm putting stuff in the car and then closing it when I'm done.
Not an improvement!

They should wire up all cars with the required circuits and then charge $200 to get two fobs as an option. $300 if you buy later. Most likely most people will eventually buy the fobs, I think.
I don't think Tesla will use the 315mhz fob in their cars anymore. The 3 doesn't have the hardware for it at all (According to the conformity page). When they come out with a fob it will be bluetooth based.

Key Fob? Blagh! I've had my Model 3 for a month and it works as advertised. I use the small iPhone SE (fits in my pocket nicely), and the doors are unlocked when I approach. Since I live in a rural area I rarely carry any keys. So no-fob means one less thing to carry. Since the car is in "walk-away mode", I can hear the mirrors fold-up as I exit the garage.

My wife's car has a proximity fob... she's constantly scrounging around in her purse trying to determine if she has her key. I'm glad not to have a similar issue.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla insists that we will not be getting a fob.

Have you not heard?

Tesla Files FCC Application For Bluetooth Key Fobs For Tesla Model 3 Owners | CleanTechnica

A new FCC filing from Tesla for a bluetooth key fob appears to indicate that Tesla is putting the finishing touches on a physical key fob for the Model 3.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk publicly admitted the problems, noting to Consumer Reports that the solution had not been performing as well as they had hoped. He shared that “we really should do something better” than the current phone key solution. Consumer Reports related that Elon said “we really need to provide a normal key to the customers of this car.”

If FCC filing ID 2AEIM-1133148 is to be believed, the company is indeed preparing to build and release key fobs for the Model 3 that will presumably give users a third option to the existing phone key and key cards.

Ironically, Tesla requested short-term confidentiality for the application until September 20th, 2018, but from all appearances, it was not honored.

even before the FCC filing Elon admitted a Fob would have to be done some time back. I'm surprised you hadn't heard either way.

• Disagree
Reactions: JES2 and Troy
If you turn the phone off while in the car, the car will think the phone has left the vehicle and should auto lock. It can't magically know the phone is still in the car.

Mobile Data = Cell phone LTE connection

The car is connected to the phone using bluetooth not LTE. Or said another way

diamond.g said:
"Phone Key" is designed to not need an internet connection in order to operate. So even if the servers are offline (like they were yesterday) you should still be able to lock and unlock your car with the BT connection. No LTE needed.

Tesla Files FCC Application For Bluetooth Key Fobs For Tesla Model 3 Owners | CleanTechnica

A new FCC filing from Tesla for a bluetooth key fob appears to indicate that Tesla is putting the finishing touches on a physical key fob for the Model 3.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk publicly admitted the problems, noting to Consumer Reports that the solution had not been performing as well as they had hoped. He shared that “we really should do something better” than the current phone key solution. Consumer Reports related that Elon said “we really need to provide a normal key to the customers of this car.”

If FCC filing ID 2AEIM-1133148 is to be believed, the company is indeed preparing to build and release key fobs for the Model 3 that will presumably give users a third option to the existing phone key and key cards.

Ironically, Tesla requested short-term confidentiality for the application until September 20th, 2018, but from all appearances, it was not honored.

I had not heard this. This is wonderful news. In addition to being a promise of a solution to so many of our woes, it shows that Tesla really does care. I hope the fob will have buttons for the frunk and trunk as well as unlocking the car.

Does the issue with the phone as a key seem to be an unreliable BT connection?

It is absolutely an unreliable BT connection. More generally, BT is known to be an unreliable communications protocol. It is being asked to connect an almost unlimited number of different kinds of hardware, running an even greater number of operating systems, all of which are constantly changing, to a large number of different hardwares and operating systems. Or, in this case, to a one specific piece of hardware running any of several firmware versions. BT is a pretty good system that works pretty well for a lot of applications. But it is not reliable enough to be the primary means of access to a car, which for many people is their only means of transportation.

Reactions: JES2 and dusdev
Ah, the car should know the phone is in it (otherwise how could you drive away). I may give it a test, but I wonder if the phone is in the car, why wouldn't the doors just open when you pull them. In the Model S if you leave the fob in the car it will look like it locked (handles retract) but anyone can just tap them and pull the door open.

just last weekend, my phone fell out of my pocket onto the seat without my knowledge. I got out and walked away. 60 seconds later I realized I didn't have my phone and walked back to the car, panicked that the car would be locked with my phone inside. But the car was not locked. It recognized my phone was in the car and did not lock. I opened the door, walked away, and heard the auto lock chirp about 15 seconds later.

I believe this is the desired and intended behavior of the car.

Personally I have had no issues with the phone as key setup.

just last weekend, my phone fell out of my pocket onto the seat without my knowledge. I got out and walked away. 60 seconds later I realized I didn't have my phone and walked back to the car, panicked that the car would be locked with my phone inside. But the car was not locked. It recognized my phone was in the car and did not lock. I opened the door, walked away, and heard the auto lock chirp about 15 seconds later.

I believe this is the desired and intended behavior of the car.

Agree on the "intended" part. But not so sure about the "desired" part.

My previous car with keyless entry (and I'm guessing the vast majority of cars with keyless entry) had an option to turn on an audible alert when you exit the car and leave/forget the key fob inside. But apparently no Teslas have this feature -- not even S/X's.

This seems like a glaring and inexplicable (and inexcusable) omission to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES2
Agree on the "intended" part. Not sure about the "desired" part.

My previous car with keyless entry (and I'm guessing the vast majority of cars with keyless entry) had an option to turn on an audible alert when you exit the car and leave/forget the key fob inside. But apparently no Teslas have this feature -- not even S/X's.

This seems like a glaring and inexplicable (and inexcusable) omission to me.
Eh my Volt makes noise when you leave it on and leave with the key. It makes noise if you leave the key inside too. No way of turning the noise off. It is annoying. Personally I am not sad it is missing in the 3, but I understand the want for an option.

Eh my Volt makes noise when you leave it on and leave with the key. It makes noise if you leave the key inside too. No way of turning the noise off. It is annoying. Personally I am not sad it is missing in the 3, but I understand the want for an option.

That's only half true.

In the Volt, the "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert" is optional. You can turn it on or off in the Vehicle Personalization settings. And that's the alert we're talking about here.

As for the Volt's "Remote No Longer in Vehicle" alert... I agree that it's annoying*, but it's completely irrelevant to any discussion about Teslas. That alert was added to the Volt due to the concern of people accidentally leaving the car on after exiting, and eventually the engine could turn on after the battery drains and potentially fill a garage with exhaust fumes and possibly cause CO poisoning.

In contrast, Teslas (1) turn off on their own after exiting with the key/phone, and (2) they don't have an engine.

(*The "Remote No Longer in Vehicle" alert was added to 2011-2013 Volts via a recall and software update, but I simply declined this update at the dealer so I never had to deal with this annoying alert. :D And I believe in newer 2018-and-later Volts you can turn this alert off too, just not independently of the "Remote Left in Vehicle" alert.)

Last edited:
I’m anti key, anti fob. Fobs are a pain to carry. The RFID card is small and fits in whatever is holding the drivers license/credit cards. But my phone has been completely reliable. I like the phone system with an RFID backup.

I love the phone as a key implementation. I don’t have to carry keys anymore. It has been quite reliable (2-4x when I have had issues in 2 months of ownership). Is it less reliable than a fob, maybe......

In the last two cars I owned with fobs and either owner sensing handles or lock/unlock buttons on handles, I have had issues. The fob was fine, it was the tech in the handles or car that was an issue. So for years these automatic lock/unlock systems have been wonky from my perspective. The only one that worked flawlessly was when I had a fob and had to physically push button on it to lock/unlock.

I guess I’m lucky because I’m an iPhone owner and the Tesla implementation has been very good from my perspective.

Tesla does need to do better because it sounds like the Android crowd and others are having issues far too frequently. On a related point, if I had to pull out that card more than 1x a month I would be very unhappy.

• Informative
I have an iPhone and the car demands the key card at least once a week. The only times I've had issues with the Prius key fob were twice (in 14 years) when the fob battery died. Had to use the little physical key hidden in the fob, and then insert the fob into the slot to drive.

I have an iPhone and the car demands the key card at least once a week. The only times I've had issues with the Prius key fob were twice (in 14 years) when the fob battery died. Had to use the little physical key hidden in the fob, and then insert the fob into the slot to drive.
So far I have noticed that as long as the car is idling response to door is immediate. But if car is sleeping it take a moment to wake up and unlock. It hasn’t asked me for the keycard yet. It is interesting how people with iPhones could even be having problems since Apple is pretty strict with their Bluetooth stack.

• Informative
So far I have noticed that as long as the car is idling response to door is immediate. But if car is sleeping it take a moment to wake up and unlock. It hasn’t asked me for the keycard yet. It is interesting how people with iPhones could even be having problems since Apple is pretty strict with their Bluetooth stack.

This morning the phone unlocked the car just fine at home. But then at both of my errand stops the car demanded the key card before it would open. I've had times when there is a short delay. But these times the screen said it wanted the key card. I can find no pattern to when it demands the key card. The phone is always in my right-hand front pocket.

Other times, the phone opens the car but the car demands the key card to drive. (This morning it only wanted the card to unlock. It drove fine without it, though I guess I don't know whether that's because it finally "saw" the phone, or if I put it in gear within the time limit.)

• Informative
so I don't work at Tesla and don't have inside info, but I work with BLE a lot and have some theories on the matter:

Certainty: There is a BLE transceiver for each side of the car, the rear of the car, and the center console.

Theory: The car is doing time-of-flight comparisons to determine the location of the phone. If a phone is "closer" (by time-of-flight) to any two perimeter BLE transceivers than it is to the center console transceiver, then it stands to reason the phone is outside of the car. This is when you'll get the situations where the car lets you in, but won't let you start the car.

The problem is that time-of-flight is not a perfect measurement system. Anyone who uses their Apple watch to unlock their laptop has probably seen it say the watch is too far away at least once, even when it's right there.

When/if Tesla release the BLE fob, it won't necessarily fix that issue but it SHOULD fix the total lack of detection when you can't get into the car, which seems to have a lot to do with the mobile app and the phone OS.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: JES2 and Dana1