TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Phone and Keycard Locked in Car

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Cookiemobster, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Cookiemobster

Cookiemobster Member

This morning I parked the car and walked around to the passenger side to retrieve my backpack and purse. The car auto locked as I walked around the car, leaving my key card and iPhone locked in the car. Does anyone know how this can happen???? I know the Tesla app was open and the bluetooth was on, but I have noticed a few times where there are server errors and phone key connection issues. I figured if I could drive all the way to work, this shouldn't have been an issue at the time. Is it possible the phone key disconnected in the 30 seconds it took me to walk around the car. This really concerns me since I often do this to get my toddler out of the car before grabbing my purse. Luckily I have an apple watch and was able to call my husband and he unlocked it remotely.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

Get Remote S for your apple watch. You should be able to use that as a backup to open your car from the apple watch.

• Like x 1
  3. dusdev

dusdev Member

Big fail again for phone as key. Where is the fob??

• Like x 1
  4. andremc

andremc Member

If there was one, it would be safe and sound in the purse...which is locked in the car. ;)

• Disagree x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
  5. Cookiemobster

Cookiemobster Member

For my other cars, there is no way to lock a key fob inside the car. The car recognizes the key fob is inside the car and will not lock unless you physically lock it inside with another key fob. Unfortunately, the key card isn't as sophisticated and not recognized by the car...

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  6. Velander

Velander New Member

This has happened to me too. My other key card was with my wife at her work. Luckily my son was home so I was able to call Tesla support and get them to remotely unlock the car once they verified I was the owner by asking me some questions.

7. dusdev

dusdev Member

That doesn't make sense. You can't lock the car when the fob is in the car. If the car has a lock button on the door handle, the fob must be outside to use the button. If the fob is detected in a closed trunk, the trunk automatically pops open. This problem was solved for the past 10 years.

• Like x 3
  8. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Bolded by me. Uh Tesla doors don't have a lock button.

• Informative x 2
  9. richrootes

richrootes Member

Take your purse and/or your phone with you

Quite simple really

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. dusdev

dusdev Member

The example was for a non Tesla with a fob

• Like x 1
  11. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

Helpful? No. I often put my purse in the back seat. I'm so glad you know all the answers.

12. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Ah, the car should know the phone is in it (otherwise how could you drive away). I may give it a test, but I wonder if the phone is in the car, why wouldn't the doors just open when you pull them. In the Model S if you leave the fob in the car it will look like it locked (handles retract) but anyone can just tap them and pull the door open.

• Like x 1
  13. Need

Need Active Member

If it was a keyfob, you can't lock the car even with the app. Anyone walked up could unlock the door when push (for model x/s) on the handle. I know because Tesla left one of the 2 key inside the car (under passenger seat) when it was delivered. They can't find the 2nd key and was going to delivery it to me later. I found it after 2 days... because I can't lock the car and finally figured out that the 2nd keyfob must be IN the car.

• Informative x 1
  14. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

So my phone is in my car. It hasn't locked fo far. Gonna give it some more time and see if it ever locks.

15. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Where in the car was your phone? I couldn't get my 3 to lock, but my phone was on the arm rest.

16. Need

Need Active Member

I know for MS, there are "dead zones" inside the car there keyfob cannot be detected. Maybe there are dead zones in the 3 that the phone cannot be detected.

17. dusdev

dusdev Member

Drain your phone battery to 3% and then leave it in there and see what happens

18. richrootes

richrootes Member

Well no wonder - you should put your purse ON the back seat, not in it

Seriously, this is easily solved and not an issue with the car

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Oh, would turning on power save mode simulate the same thing? I don't normally let my phones get below 10%.

20. rdlink

rdlink Member

Don't make excuses for bad design and execution. Quite simple really.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1