Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone and Keycard Locked in Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I parked the car and walked around to the passenger side to retrieve my backpack and purse. The car auto locked as I walked around the car, leaving my key card and iPhone locked in the car. Does anyone know how this can happen???? I know the Tesla app was open and the bluetooth was on, but I have noticed a few times where there are server errors and phone key connection issues. I figured if I could drive all the way to work, this shouldn't have been an issue at the time. Is it possible the phone key disconnected in the 30 seconds it took me to walk around the car. This really concerns me since I often do this to get my toddler out of the car before grabbing my purse. Luckily I have an apple watch and was able to call my husband and he unlocked it remotely.

If there was one, it would be safe and sound in the purse...which is locked in the car. ;)

That doesn't make sense. You can't lock the car when the fob is in the car. If the car has a lock button on the door handle, the fob must be outside to use the button. If the fob is detected in a closed trunk, the trunk automatically pops open. This problem was solved for the past 10 years.

That doesn't make sense. You can't lock the car when the fob is in the car. If the car has a lock button on the door handle, the fob must be outside to use the button. If the fob is detected in a closed trunk, the trunk automatically pops open. This problem was solved for the past 10 years.
Bolded by me. Uh Tesla doors don't have a lock button.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and dhanson865
The example was for a non Tesla with a fob
Ah, the car should know the phone is in it (otherwise how could you drive away). I may give it a test, but I wonder if the phone is in the car, why wouldn't the doors just open when you pull them. In the Model S if you leave the fob in the car it will look like it locked (handles retract) but anyone can just tap them and pull the door open.

Reactions: FoghornLeghorn
If it was a keyfob, you can't lock the car even with the app. Anyone walked up could unlock the door when push (for model x/s) on the handle. I know because Tesla left one of the 2 key inside the car (under passenger seat) when it was delivered. They can't find the 2nd key and was going to delivery it to me later. I found it after 2 days... because I can't lock the car and finally figured out that the 2nd keyfob must be IN the car.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
This morning I parked the car and walked around to the passenger side to retrieve my backpack and purse. The car auto locked as I walked around the car, leaving my key card and iPhone locked in the car. Does anyone know how this can happen???? I know the Tesla app was open and the bluetooth was on, but I have noticed a few times where there are server errors and phone key connection issues. I figured if I could drive all the way to work, this shouldn't have been an issue at the time. Is it possible the phone key disconnected in the 30 seconds it took me to walk around the car. This really concerns me since I often do this to get my toddler out of the car before grabbing my purse. Luckily I have an apple watch and was able to call my husband and he unlocked it remotely.
Where in the car was your phone? I couldn't get my 3 to lock, but my phone was on the arm rest.