Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the new v1.1 app, at least on iOS, does not like passwords that contain certain characters.

I updated the app on my iPhone, and it wouldn't let me log in (I don't yet have a vehicle linked to my account, but am obsessively checking the app for my VIN).
On my iPad, where I hadn't updated the app, my password worked. My password also worked on the web site. And it worked with curl to the Web API.
I changed my password to no longer contain the non-alphanumeric character I thought might be wreaking havoc, and now I can log in from the v1.1 app.

So if you're having trouble, it appears the workaround is to use a web browser to change your My Tesla password to something with only upper or lower case letters or numbers (and increasing the length of your password to make up for having to use a smaller character set). Sigh.

If you've already logged in (are not prompted for your password when you launch the app), you'll probably be ok until your authentication cookie expires.

I've reported this to ownership. I really wish they had a better bug reporting system than email. Or at least would reply to you with a bug id number in whatever internal bug tracking system they are using.

I did not try the Android app.

Edit: The set of characters that don't work in passwords appears to have changed since v1.0 of the app, as noted here. I have not tried the < or > characters.

I updated my iphone5 today. Don't see any place where my rims are listed.

Not listed, they are pictured on the home screen along with the rest of your car. Mine are incorrect (21 instead of 19). I'm not sure whether they were correct previously or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Rats, I deleted the app and re-installed it since the update still showed the wrong rims, and now it tells me I have the wrong email/password (when I know it is correct).

Somebody reported the new version having an issue with non alphanumeric characters. If you have one, try changing your password on the website and trying again.

Somebody reported the new version having an issue with non alphanumeric characters. If you have one, try changing your password on the website and trying again.

Thanks Gregnical, that was totally it. My password continued to work on the old version on my iPad, but wouldn't work on the new version until I eliminated special characters.

Sadly, I still show 21" rims when I actually have 19"s.

Question on Preheating

Might be a dumb question but: If I preheat the car when it is NOT charging, does this help or hurt efficiency? Is the preheat just for driver comfort in cold weather, or does it help the battery heat up before you start driving. If so, is there a point of diminishing returns as far as how long you preheat and how many degrees you raise the interior temp?

Noticed what would seem to be a bug introduced with the latest version of the iOS app. I have my displayed range set to display ideal range (as opposed to rated range...in the settings of the car). When I usually check in the morning after charging overnight, the app would show me my ideal range (usually around 440Km) and this would correspond to what the car displayed. After installing the app and checking this morning, the app shows 383Km and still says Ideal range. I know this to be inaccurate so I went to the car and of course, it is showing 441Km ideal range. I then went into the car menu and switched it to show rated range instead and surprise, surprise, it shows the same 383 Km as the app.

so to make a long story short, it seems the app is now displaying the rated range, even though the car is set to display ideal range. The app, however, is still writing Ideal Range (under the displayed rated range value). It is showing me rated range and calling it ideal range!

Can anyone check for similar behavior?

I didn't know we could display "ideal" any more?

In the car, of course, it is a setting. you can have ideal or rated range displayed in the speedometer screen. The app used to follow it and display the same. Now it seems to only display Rated range

- - - Updated - - -

2 more things noticed with the new version of the app. First, seems to be taking longer than before to connect and display the information from the car. Second, they seem to have changed the graphics on the Climate control. there used to be red or blue arrows displayed to indicate if the car was heating or cooling to get to the target set temperature. Now the graphic shows a combination of blue/red (looks like violet) arrows instead no matter if cooling or heating. I think the previous system was better and communicated some extra information.