Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car can do whatever Tesla wants it to do (that's what the software updates are!!!!!).

How do we know the car can significantly heat up the battery pack? I don't think this is a given. Currently it seems it gets heated up by discharging/charging the batteries.

I know it has some climate control on it but do we know it can do more than keeping the pack from freezing?

In my experience pre-heating the car while unplugged has heated up the battery at least some. Before the app when I would come out after a day of it sitting at ~0-5F I would have no regen and limited output. After the app and preheating for 15-20 mins I would come out to ~50% regen and "full" output. Now I can't speak to if this has changed in the last few weeks as my car has been at the body shop but with 4.2 and the most current android app it did.

In my experience pre-heating the car while unplugged has heated up the battery at least some. Before the app when I would come out after a day of it sitting at ~0-5F I would have no regen and limited output. After the app and preheating for 15-20 mins I would come out to ~50% regen and "full" output. Now I can't speak to if this has changed in the last few weeks as my car has been at the body shop but with 4.2 and the most current android app it did.

Yeah but you reduced your range by having the heat on while unplugged. I think that was the question. My uneducated assessment is that by preheating unplugged, you are using battery charge more than you are gaining any distance by having a warm pack. If the battery is cold and you are unplugged- just start driving and the pack will warm as you get a few miles under your belt. If range is not a factor for you and you are interested in either a comfortable warm cabin or eliminating performance limit/ regen limit, then preheating the car while unplugged may be worth your while.

Perhaps its my phone (HTC Evo LTE) or provider (Sprint), but the last few days I've had *many* more instances where after launching the app, you just get the spinning cursor and have to exit app and relaunch, sometimes 2-3 times to get it to connect.

Perhaps its my phone (HTC Evo LTE) or provider (Sprint), but the last few days I've had *many* more instances where after launching the app, you just get the spinning cursor and have to exit app and relaunch, sometimes 2-3 times to get it to connect.

I'm on Sprint, and I use the app constantly (most times purely for entertainment). Haven't experienced any delay in program function.

On another note: would like to see a control function to crack the windows for us folks who don't have the sunroof.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Does anyone know why heating/cooling is now depicted with the same graphic instead of the red and blue arrows that were used previously? It wasn't broke, why did they fix it?

It was broken. It show blue immediately if you changed your set temp to be below the indicated interior temp -- which was NOT necessarily reflective of what the HVAC was actually doing. Same for heat. The app was not reading whether the car was heating or cooling the car.