TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Phone App Not Connected

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by NormVA, Jan 5, 2020.

1. NormVA

NormVA Member

Very often when I go to pre-heat my M3, I get a message that my phone is not connected. Then at some point it will randomly connect. Anyone know how to fix this. My phone is a Samsung S7. Thanks, Norm

2. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

What message are you talking about - the one when you open the app and it says "waking up"? If so, your car goes to sleep to save power after it has been parked for a while and it takes time to wake it up. Sometimes it takes a few seconds and sometimes it can take longer depending on the LTE signal.

Or are you talking about something else?

3. NormVA

NormVA Member

I get a message at the bottom of the screen (white stripe) that says "updated at" and the time. There is a circle going around like it is trying to update. The charge is gray and the bar across the bottom of the "Climate" screen blocks the buttons (which are probably gray anyway). I have tried rebooting the phone and also turning bluetooth off and on. Nothing works.

4. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

Does your car have a WiFi and/or decent cell signal? It needs this to connect to the phone app (via internet).

5. NormVA

NormVA Member

I believe that it has a decent WiFi signal and I live in a area with very good cell coverage. When I initially logged the car into WiFi the signal looked good and it connected without any problem.

6. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

Couple of things you might try to narrow it down a bit. Try one of the 2rd party Tesla apps (Stats for example), and see if they can connect. That at least would indicate if its the Tesla app itself or car connectivity. You might also try a car reset; this is a feeble fix of course (the old "if in doubt reboot the computer" chant of support the world over), but it has been known to fix issues like this.

7. NormVA

NormVA Member

I have done a number of reboots while working on the voice command problem. Rebooting did not seem to have any effect. I will try looking at a 3rd party app to check the internet connection. I have watched some YouTubes in the car while parked at the house -- no problem. Thanks, Norm

8. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

If you have a spouse or older kids (you trust!!) can you get them to install the app and see if it works for them?

9. itsnotyou

itsnotyou New Member

I have this issue all the time. I am sure it is not the app, I think it is the car as I have the app on my tablets also and neither works. Then out of the blue the phone app will and so will the tablets. Then it may not connect again for a few days.

It always works as the key

10. NormVA

NormVA Member

I, also, have the app on my Samsung phone and iPad. i have never checked the iPad when the phone wasn't working. i will look at that. As I remember, this started after i received an update shortly after getting the car in November.

11. Keung18

Keung18 Member

I also want to ask.... I always wait over few mintues, but finally show "Vehicle Connection Error". How can I solve the problem??

Attached Files: