Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Disconnected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm confused as to what is connected and what is not. In my phone app, I can see the controls, I can unlock the car, I can open everything and turn on the climate. However, under "Security," it says my phone is disconnected. I see these videos of people using "Darth Vader Mode" and their phones are never disconnected...what am I missing?

So, I'm confused as to what is connected and what is not. In my phone app, I can see the controls, I can unlock the car, I can open everything and turn on the climate. However, under "Security," it says my phone is disconnected. I see these videos of people using "Darth Vader Mode" and their phones are never disconnected...what am I missing?

Your car can connect to your phone by 2 methods:

1) Bluetooh
2) Internet

So when you see your phone is disconnected, that's disconnected from the Bluetooth but it's still connected by the internet.

• Informative
Reactions: avs007
That's not it. Here's the whole story: Ever since I saw the Evannex article on "Darth Vader Mode" I have been trying to get it to work. According to my Tesla dealer, my VIN should have it. So, in the car, I did turn on the mobile app capability under "Safety and Security." However, when I turn Sentry Mode on, nothing happens.
The phone is apparently connected to some features, because as I said I can turn the climate on, open the hood, etc. remotely. That's not Bluetooth. What I can't do is use the cameras in Sentry Mode, and when I look at "Security" in my phone app, it says "[Phone name] disconnected." The cameras don't work, and the microphone is grayed out.

This is my biggest beef with Tesla. I love the car. They are long on features and very short on service. I recently took my Model Y in at 8 AM for a yearly inspection, and when I dropped it off, they told me they would have it done by the end of the day. I asked why it would take that long, and they said they had to replace some sensors and refrigerant. They had not mentioned that in any of the scheduling communications. They cancelled that procedure, and told me that the inspection would take less than an hour, so I went to the waiting area to wait. There was a Keurig machine there, and a rack for Keurig cups, but there were no Keurig cups or coffee cups available.
When I talked to my service rep at the end of the day, I told him that I am a quality consultant and Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, and had been working to help organizations deliver the highest levels of quality to their customers, and that service after the sale is key to customer loyalty. He asked where I thought they had gone wrong, and I told him that communicating with the customer up front to let them know how long the service will take would be a good start. Then I mentioned the coffee situation in the waiting room.
He said, "Oh, I get it. You're used to the gas guzzler ownership experience. They make most of their profit on service. Elon decided right from the beginning that we don't make our profit on service. See, we don't think of ourselves as a car company...we are really a tech company."
Tesla is the EV industry leader now, but they don't have to stay that way. If they continue to ignore things like 1970s style sexual harassment in their workforce and Consumer Reports' rating them as low reliability vehicles, and continue to offer Microsoft-level customer service, they will probably lose a lot of market share over the next few years as other companies catch up to the technology, but offer customers great service after the sale.
I mention Microsoft-level service because that's what this community looks like to me. You buy a subscription to a MS product, and when you have problems, all you can do is read online FAQs, and join a customer community where we try to help each other solve problems. Both MS and Tesla would benefit greatly by putting techs or engineers in these communities who can actually answer questions.

So, the security screen in the Tesla app on my phone still says my phone is disconnected. I still can't see the camera images in sentry mode, and the phone is still grayed out. All I have gotten from even my Service Rep is a description of what I should be seeing...no help in explaining why I'm NOT seeing what I should be seeing.

This is my biggest beef with Tesla. I love the car. They are long on features and very short on service. I recently took my Model Y in at 8 AM for a yearly inspection, and when I dropped it off, they told me they would have it done by the end of the day. I asked why it would take that long, and they said they had to replace some sensors and refrigerant. They had not mentioned that in any of the scheduling communications. They cancelled that procedure, and told me that the inspection would take less than an hour, so I went to the waiting area to wait. There was a Keurig machine there, and a rack for Keurig cups, but there were no Keurig cups or coffee cups available.
When I talked to my service rep at the end of the day, I told him that I am a quality consultant and Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, and had been working to help organizations deliver the highest levels of quality to their customers, and that service after the sale is key to customer loyalty. He asked where I thought they had gone wrong, and I told him that communicating with the customer up front to let them know how long the service will take would be a good start. Then I mentioned the coffee situation in the waiting room.
He said, "Oh, I get it. You're used to the gas guzzler ownership experience. They make most of their profit on service. Elon decided right from the beginning that we don't make our profit on service. See, we don't think of ourselves as a car company...we are really a tech company."
Tesla is the EV industry leader now, but they don't have to stay that way. If they continue to ignore things like 1970s style sexual harassment in their workforce and Consumer Reports' rating them as low reliability vehicles, and continue to offer Microsoft-level customer service, they will probably lose a lot of market share over the next few years as other companies catch up to the technology, but offer customers great service after the sale.
I mention Microsoft-level service because that's what this community looks like to me. You buy a subscription to a MS product, and when you have problems, all you can do is read online FAQs, and join a customer community where we try to help each other solve problems. Both MS and Tesla would benefit greatly by putting techs or engineers in these communities who can actually answer questions.
Lol. Bet he loved Mr “I’m a six sigma smarter then you speech” lol. Dam them for not living up to your Starbucks lifestyle. Sometimes people just do the best they can, for a few that’s just never good enough…. Umphh

In case you don’t have the answer yet - I figured it out. You either don’t have Premium monthly service enabled on your upgrades tab - or you did and it expired. Turn service back on and you will have the feature you seek. 👍🏽

In case you don’t have the answer yet - I figured it out. You either don’t have Premium monthly service enabled on your upgrades tab - or you did and it expired. Turn service back on and you will have the feature you seek. 👍🏽
Bump.
Having exact same issue. No live feed and the microphone button is grayed out. Also no live look on Sentry mode. The ligths will flash once (standing 100 feet away) then the camera icon spins for 30-60 seconds and says refresh all the while never displaying any live footage.
Latest Tesla software. Picked up car yesterday and purchased a brand new phone today (Android Pixel 6a).
Anyone else figure out how to solve it? I have toggled Bluetooth off and on..restarted app several times. Open for suggestions.
Thanks

Same issue
Premium expires next June
Stuff like start/stop charging work (everything I can tell from 200 miles away)
Software is FSDb
I'll try double wheel reboot when I get back home
Have brand new phone and now it only works when I am home and the car is in the driveway. Won't work once I get past 50 feet. Anyone have ideas? Google Pixel 6a phone-car is 3 days old-phone 1 day old all updated.

I believe live feed in sentry mode only works when your phone is on Wi-F. Normal LTE/ 5G connect doesn’t work.
That did not used to be true. My phone is never on wifi except for home and it used to work remotely. It also makes no sense. Not that that means anything given lots doesn't make sense.

When I got home from my trip, it is not work sitting in the car with the phone on wifi. It did start working with the double wheel reboot.

I just tried it both ways. worked on wifi. I turned off sentry, then turned wifi off on the phone, turned sentry back on and I can view.

I'll have to see how long it lasts as well as try it away from home. Again I"m on FSDb

Reactions: statman55
I believe live feed in sentry mode only works when your phone is on Wi-F. Normal LTE/ 5G connect doesn’t work.
That did not used to be true. My phone is never on wifi except for home and it used to work remotely. It also makes no sense. Not that that means anything given lots doesn't make sense.

When I got home from my trip, it is not work sitting in the car with the phone on wifi. It did start working with the double wheel reboot.

I just tried it both ways. worked on wifi. I turned off sentry, then turned wifi off on the phone, turned sentry back on and I can view.

I'll have to see how long it lasts as well as try it away from home. Again I"m on FSDb
Keep my posted. It only works for me when I am at home connected via bluetooth. If I walk the dog around the corner it says not connected. It's so weird. I just wish it would work remotely if I am more than 50 feet away from the vehicle.

Finally got a chance to try it remotely. I was about a 1/4 mile away outside. I did have some trouble. It worked a bit sporadically, but mostly worked. When it did not work, I could still flash the lights. I also tried that going back to the car and was about 50 yards away and could see they really were flashing. We're supposed to have a new beta this weekend so I'll have to try again.

Reactions: statman55
Finally got a chance to try it remotely. I was about a 1/4 mile away outside. I did have some trouble. It worked a bit sporadically, but mostly worked. When it did not work, I could still flash the lights. I also tried that going back to the car and was about 50 yards away and could see they really were flashing. We're supposed to have a new beta this weekend so I'll have to try again.
Yes I can always flash lights just can't remote view Sentry.