Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key always connected at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the phone up in the house you could Unlock, get in, Start the car and leave?

If you could, I think you have a fault of some sort. Because as the numerous posts have said they might see the phone connected in the house but that’s not enough to unlock and drive away.

I agree with @mswlogo. When I'm at home, I keep my cell phone (a OnePlus 5t running Android 9 -- although it ran Android 8.1 when I first got my Tesla) on a table in my kitchen. Depending on where I park, this is anywhere from 4 feet to 25 feet from my Model 3, albeit through a wall. Even at the closest distance, I cannot open my car's door when the phone is inside my house; I have to have the phone on my person for the phone-as-key function to work. I've also observed, when washing my car, that if I leave the phone about 5 or 6 feet from the car, in direct line of sight (no walls in-between), I can't open the car; I have to bring the phone closer to the car for the phone key to work. In most of these cases, the Tesla app reports that it's connected to the car, but the car door remains locked. It's pretty clear that the phone-as-key feature is working on something other than a simple presence of a Bluetooth connection. My guess is there's a measure of signal strength and/or triangulation to measure distance. (I haven't looked at this in depth, but my phone reports four Bluetooth devices with long gibberish names when it's near my Model 3, and some have suggested that these devices are used by the Tesla to triangulate on phones.)

One more point: When I walk away from my car, I can hear and see the outside mirrors fold. This typically happens when I approach my house's front door. Whether that's distance or timing I don't know. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the mirrors fold at the same time that the car locks. Thus, if the mirrors fold, the car should be locked -- although of course it can be unlocked if a phone set up as a key is close enough.

That said, in discussions of the phone-as-key functionality elsewhere on this forum, it's clear that there's a lot of variability from one phone model to another, and in some cases even one phone OS version to another. It's entirely possible that my phone's signal strength (or whatever) is strong enough for it to work reliably but weak enough to not work through a wall or at a distance of over 5-6 feet; but another phone's signal strength might be great enough for it to work at a greater distance. If somebody has the problem of the car staying unlocked even when the phone is inside the house, I'd suggest pairing another phone (of a different brand), turning off the Bluetooth on the first phone, and testing with the second phone. If the problem persists, take the car to Tesla for service, since that's not the way it works for most people, and it's likely not the way it's supposed to work.

So you’re saying that is my issue. If I check “always” for the location services then I won’t need to “open” the app?

You need always, background processing and the phone cannot be in low power mode for you to not touch the phone.

It should look like this.

48049404438_34ce206f97_h_d.jpg

Attachments

• F634007E-5FE5-4C25-A198-055958D38D5E.png
    F634007E-5FE5-4C25-A198-055958D38D5E.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: ChrisH
Do you have keep unlocked when at home enabled?
My previous house my app would stay connected no matter where I was in the house but I had that setting disabled. The car wouldn’t actually unlock unless the phone was with in 5 or 6 feet.

This is a bug in design! I cannot believe how many people chime in on this, without facts claiming this isn't a problem.

I own two Tesla's (M3 & MY). Four drivers. Two Android, two iphone. Frequently run into this exact problem of a phone that connects to a car. Sometimes the car still "looks" locked -- but if anyone touches the handle, or trunk, it'll open. Yes I've always had pin to drive but that doesn't prevent car from unlocking.

I was hoping to find a solution in this forum besides turning off bluetooth. Which besides inconvenient, requires being 100% consistent... purely unrealistic and means phone can't use bluetooth for other things. Bummer.

iOS you can use the focus mode to automatically turn off Bluetooth. So mine turns off at night and back on in the morning.

If for whatever reason I need the car earlier/later I just turn bluetooth on manually.

P2D is on anyway.

My car is parked less than 2 metres away from my window. If I leave my phone on the couch in front of the window, I’m unable to open the car from my tests.

iOS you can use the focus mode to automatically turn off Bluetooth. So mine turns off at night and back on in the morning.
Thank you, but my phone should still be allowed to function. I was aware of disabling phone Bluetooth -- and may be of help to some people -- but it is flawed. It means my phone is unusable for other common things. Examples: use of airpods, airtags, speakers, light/fan controls, etc.

I was just hoping someone already found another solution. Which is why I originally said that turning off Bluetooth requires 100% consistency -- implying this solution is flawed/insecure -- it also renders the phone unusable for other Bluetooth devices, therefore, not acceptable.

It seems to me this is a design problem. Relying on turning off Bluetooth is essentially a usage loophole isn't security -- if a phone is connected to a car ANYONE can open it -- Tesla should have an option setting for users to ensure car security for these situations. Something that allows an owner an extra step to ensure car only unlocks when intended -- especially at certain geographic locations (Home/Work/Favorites). Or maybe this is a Bluetooth protocol problem.

outofcontrol:

My car is parked less than 2 metres away from my window. If I leave my phone on the couch in front of the window, I’m unable to open the car from my tests.
Hmm. Perhaps your phone's Bluetooth isn't actually connected to the car?

My tests have found, on multiple occasions, that a car can be opened even though it looks locked. Mind you, it's not always the person's phone that originally parked the car, but still, it makes sense. I'm going to revisit my testing this weekend.

But my understanding is the whole idea of utilizing Bluetooth as a key, is a person with a phone securely pairs to a car.

They can then carry the phone as usual. When they approach the car, Bluetooth becomes in range and connects to car. The car then waits for someone to push the handle or trunk, at which point it unlocks. The presumption is that the phone comes within range only when someone is about to drive the car. Am I wrong? When I test this weekend, I'm going to also ensure amount of time connected without action on the handle/trunk doesn't come into play.

Because this doesn't seem to be the use case for me -- or the OP, or other people that have claimed the same on this thread. It seems, when at least one drivers phone is at home within range of the car, it connects, and then the car can be opened. I discovered this the same way as the OP. Went to car, opened car, then noticed car seat went to wrong setting for my profile -- which is when I realized I didn't have my phone, and someone elses phone was in range -- which allowed me to unlock.

Last edited:
It’s definitely odd, as phone is showing as connected in the app - but car doesn’t unlock if I leave the phone on the couch. I have to bring the phone closer to the car to work.

I assumed it worked on a time based calculation of the signal. So whilst you can have a connection it isn’t one that allows the door to open as you need to be within close proximity for the relay time measurement. (Plenty of proof of concepts of how thieves use a time based relay attack on Teslas on YouTube)

I use the iOS focus to turn off the Bluetooth at night. I don’t tend to be using Bluetooth for airpods, AirTags etc when I’m asleep.

You are spot on though, as using Bluetooth isn’t a great way to secure a car. It’s always going to be an issue until Tesla move onto another technology for it.