Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key, Android vs iOS devices shown in BT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With an iPhone paired as a key, I can see a couple devices with random strings in BT that shows "connected". I understand this to be the BT name for the door modules.

With an Android (A13), I see no Bluetooth device in the list related to Tesla, yet the key works.

I've not paired the phone/audio to the car, just the key.

What is the mechanism that allows the Android key to work? NFC, UWB or something else? I am puzzled that there is no Tesla device shown in the BT list. Please enlighten me. Thanks!

I don't know the technical details but I know from what I have tested since my wife has iPhone and I have Pixel. I also has the optional FOB. iPhone only works as BT (proximity) or over the internet via app. Android uses BT (proximity) AND ability to use NFC to function like a key card. The FOB uses both BT (proximity) and NFC (key) so it works even when battery is dead.

Reactions: snovvman
I don't know the technical details but I know from what I have tested since my wife has iPhone and I have Pixel. I also has the optional FOB. iPhone only works as BT (proximity) or over the internet via app. Android uses BT (proximity) AND ability to use NFC to function like a key card. The FOB uses both BT (proximity) and NFC (key) so it works even when battery is dead.

Thanks for your reply. I too, have a Pixel. In my BT list, I see nothing related to Tesla (notwithstanding the audio/phone pairing). Is this your experience as well?