Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key keeps losing Bluetooth connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my M3 yesterday and set up my iPhone X with the Tesla app at the SC including connecting to Bluetooth in my car. I did not test to see if the phone key worked before I left Tesla since I had the key card. Later that day, I went to my car and the phone key would not work. There was now no connection to Bluetooth. The rest of the Tesla app worked including opening trunk, honking, etc. On the app, it said the phone key was connected but there was a information circle and when I clicked it it said to connect to Bluetooth. I re-paired the iPhone to the Tesla. After arriving my next stop, when I came back to the car, I had to use the key card as there was no Bluetooth connection again. The same problem with my wife’s iPhone 12 mini. I have rebooted my phone, turned Bluetooth off and on, soft reset of the M3, signing out of Tesla app and back in and none of these steps help. After I paired the Tesla app and Tesla again by Bluetooth, when I take one step out of the car, the Bluetooth connection is lost and doesn’t reconnect. Not sure what else to do. The “numbers and letters” Tesla connection does stay connected to Bluetooth. Any suggestions. I did put in a service request.

I cant tell from your post, but connecting your phone to the car as "phone as key" is a completely separate process than connecting the phone to the car for regular bluetooth.

They are two different processes and connections, and its entirely possible to have phone as key setup for a phone but not paired for phone calls, and vis versa.

Remove phone as key and the regular bluetooth connection, both from the phone and the car, and try starting over. Pair phone as key first, then pair the phone with the car for regular bluetooth.

I"m having sort of a similar issue but not sure which thread to post on. I have a 1 yr old P3D and a new Samsung Galaxy 21 Ultra. This is the second time in a week where it works fine as a key but the BT connection for Calls, Audio, etc fails. I don't notice it until I tried to connect for audio and it wouldn't. I opened the connection on the phone and it says connected for calls but not for audio. Tesla shows the phone as connected as a Priority Device and synching calls, files, calendar, etc. I try to toggle the Audio button on the phone's BT to ON and after about 10 seconds it toggles back to OFF, eventually saying it can't connect to the car. Then I go through the routine of turning off BT then back on, then scanning again, turning on airplane mode and then off, checking the connection on the Tesla end and it goes into automatic search mode though it shows my phone connected. I then request it to forget the connection and then repair and it still wouldn't connect, I renamed the phone and scanned for a new BT pairing connection. The Tesla BT never came out of scan mode, the little hourglass just turns and turns. Numerous reboots of the phone later, still nothing, then one day it works. Now it doesn't. This is coming as Tesla wants me to now subscribe to the Enhanced Entertainment system which also is glitchy. I'll have one podcast just lock up and won't play while another one will play. Becoming a nuisance.

I've had similar problems recently but only recently as the BT/phone connection had been work very well for nearly a year prior. But recently (within 2mos or so), the car about 10% of the time doesn't BT connect. The phone key feature still works, but the phone BT audio does not connect. Each time I try manually to force it to connect but most of the time, it does not work, just spins trying to connect. But then if I leave the car and come back, say 10mins later, it will connect as it is supposed to... Rebooting the iPhone (SE 2020, latest IOS) does not usually help.

Its irritating since I use the BT audio connection extensively, 1) for music, sourced by the phone, 2) making phone calls (which when this problem happens obvious just has the phone spewing its audio into my pocket instead of the car).

Reactions: JCD300G
We have been experiencing these same issues. The worst incident occurred while we were actually driving (and moving very slowly, while turning around). The car just stopped halfway through the turn. Fortunately it was on a side street. Could not get the phone reconnected. Got out a key card, got started again, and drove straight to the dealership just a few miles away. They checked it out, and said that I had tried to shift into Park while moving. First - no I did not, Second, even if I had accidentally brushed the Park button, that should not have killed all communication with the car. NO modern car of ANY make would allow the car to be shifted to Park while moving. We continue to have regular problems with our phone keys, and, on occasion, even with our key cards.

We have been experiencing these same issues. The worst incident occurred while we were actually driving (and moving very slowly, while turning around). The car just stopped halfway through the turn. Fortunately it was on a side street. Could not get the phone reconnected. Got out a key card, got started again, and drove straight to the dealership just a few miles away. They checked it out, and said that I had tried to shift into Park while moving. First - no I did not, Second, even if I had accidentally brushed the Park button, that should not have killed all communication with the car. NO modern car of ANY make would allow the car to be shifted to Park while moving. We continue to have regular problems with our phone keys, and, on occasion, even with our key cards.
I just noticed that my profile shows me as being from Tulsa OK. I haven't lived there in 20 years! Now live in Kingsville, TX.

My iPhone never hss problems unlocking the doors, but lately when I try to put car in drive, it’s not recognized. I unpaired and then paired it.
This started happening recently, both before, and after yesterday’s update (that was supposed to fix minor bugs).
I know this is somewhat of a common problem but wondered if there was a solution. iPhone fully up to date

Having the same problem with my iPhone and key. Everything else is fine. Uninstalled and reset pairing in the proper order but no luck. Have to use the card key. Everything else is fine. Have had Model 3 for 1.5 years, so wondering what’s up. Hopefully will receive an auto update fix.

All of this has happened to me also! After the recent Tesla update to fix what was not broken, it's now broken. I have the same key card issue. What a bloody mess, my girl is mad at me because the doors would open, and she was left out in the rain. A word, or ten, "don't try to fix what is not broken, please!" She is after me to get a new Audi electric now. She is tired of all of the "bug fixes."

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
The day we took delivery of our Model Y (three months ago), its Bluetooth connections to our phones (for music, audio books, etc.) would sputter in and out about once every 2 minutes. (The phone has always worked flawlessly as a key, though.) After working with Tesla service technicians and trying every conceivable solution, I took the car in and they ran diagnostics on it. They determined that the internal bluetooth antenna was bad. Today, they replaced it. On the 1.5-hour trip home, we didn't lose the Bluetooth connection once.

Reactions: julit0 and haroldo