Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key left in car - still lockable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't have my MYLR yet. As of now, I'm driving a regular ICE Mustang with a key fob.

I usually leave my wallet and phone in the car (tucked out of sight) when I go to the gym. I don't use the phone while working out, and leaving it (and the wallet) in the car means two fewer things I have to juggle and keep tabs on. The key fob is small and unnoticeable in my pocket when on the treadmill.

When my MYLR arrives - if I want to continue leaving my phone (which is now my car key) and wallet in the car, and just go into the gym with my key card, will I be able to lock the car?

AFAIK, the three ways to manually lock the car is with a fob, with the phone app, or via the touch screen. I don't have a fob, I am leaving the phone in the car, and I obviously can't lock the car via touch screen because that would mean I am still in the car when it locks.

And would Walk-Away Door Lock even work if it sensed my phone (key) still in the vehicle?

I’m not sure there is a reliable way to lock your car when the phone is inside. Maybe someone else could speak to this.

I’ve accidentally locked the phone in the frunk and that was far enough away from the door to prevent the car from unlocking. Had to call my wife and have her pop the frunk so I could get the phone out and into the car. If you can’t lock it inside the car, locking it in the funk might be a viable alternative.

Reactions: squirk
Just take the key card with you and turn your phone’s Bluetooth off.

Key card is very easy to conceal.

Phone won’t work as a key if Bluetooth is off.
I thought about that, but then I saw this in the manual:

1646961182389.png

That’s exactly what I was getting at.

Even if I lock it with the card, if I leave phone BT on, and leave phone in the car, anyone could walk up and open the door.
Exactly... On a side note, if someone is staying in the car, if you press the lock icon on the screen, the only way to unlock the door would be to tap the B-Pillar with phone/card, or use the app. Proximity unlock is disabled until the doors are manually unlocked. This is useful if someone is running inside to get something... If you lock from phone, or tap the B-pillar, if there's a nearby phone, anyone can still pull the handles to open the door, unless the car was locked from the display.

Reactions: squirk