Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Phone still in car" alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this would be a great feature; glad I'm not the only one it happened to. I only left my phone in car once and realized it when in restaurant so ran back to parking lot. Would add insult to injury if someone steals you car; you call your own phone; and they answer laughing!

My guess is the software would see phone still connected by bluetooth coupled with zero weight on any seats which should indicate no one is in the vehicle. Instead of the normal short beep when car locks upon walking away; it would instead need to signal with multiple beeps or honks. Doesn't seem that scheme would work with dog mode due to weight on seats.

Plugzin, I like your idea about the seat sensors and multiple beeps. So now we have to get Tesla to write it into their code.

devilmountain, the PIN idea is a good idea until Tesla finds a better way, though it doesn't protect the phone and other valuables from being stolen.

It’s probably feasible but may not be a high priority for Tesla. I’ve trained myself to listen for the honk after I walk away to confirm the car locked itself. After a while it just becomes second nature to listen for it.
Except this doesn't work for people who disable that feature since they don't want the car always locking when it's in the driveway or garage. One of the most requested enhancements is to use geofencing to determine when not to automatically lock the car.

Stats, the app, can tell you, if you have an AppleWatch, that your car is still unlocked and no one is inside. Presumably, you left your phone inside. I think it might take a minute or so, though. I did get an alert the other day, when I left my phone in the car when I parked it at home. Hadn't gotten in the house when I got the alert.

Stats, the app, can tell you, if you have an AppleWatch, that your car is still unlocked and no one is inside. Presumably, you left your phone inside. I think it might take a minute or so, though. I did get an alert the other day, when I left my phone in the car when I parked it at home. Hadn't gotten in the house when I got the alert.

Thanks for the tip, Ken. I haven't been able to find the app on the App Store. Can you send me a link to it or more specific identification of the app?

It’s probably feasible but may not be a high priority for Tesla. I’ve trained myself to listen for the honk after I walk away to confirm the car locked itself. After a while it just becomes second nature to listen for it.

I do the same (listen for the honk). I also have a white phone cover on my phone which shows up against the black phone dock on the car. When I dock my phone there I always leave the lid to it up so the phone is visible and pretty much trained myself to always make sure the dock lid is closed before leaving the car, along with putting my visors up (kind of pet peeve).

How would it alert? Your phone is in the car!
I suppose you could have the car honk the horn, but it might false alarm a lot if you got out of the car and stood next to the car. The car might sense your phone as inside.

I have Stats running on my IPhone and Apple Watch. I have it set to automatically lock the doors in case I forget. If I leave a door open (or the trunk) it sends me a notification to warn me. I haven’t tested what happens if I leave my iPhone in the car. I’ll have to try that out. Since my Apple Watch has a cellular connection I would still receive text notifications even if I left my iPhone in the car, and I can unlock the door using just my Apple Watch so I’m not concerned about getting locked out. I also have it set to turn Sentry mode on whenever I park and lock the car since the Tesla app requires you to manually do this every time.