Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone unlocking - slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i Phones support the Tesla app widgets. From a locked iPhone screen, swipe left to right and look for the Tesla widget. You may have to scroll down but you can edit that screen and move the Tesla widget up for convenience. Unlock is on the widget.

I assume the above posters mean unlocking from cold. The widget will just say the car is asleep unless either the car is already awake, or it’s woken up with the main app.

44857F99-7B79-4176-8E97-FE6A2BCC35BF.jpeg

Reactions: Adopado
Ditto the above, I know have to sometimes open the app on my iPhone X to unlock the car.
I’m not certain if this has happened since the last iOS update or car update?
It’s pretty annoying when previously its unlocked as I walk upto it

• Helpful
Reactions: piotroek
I’m on 2020.12.11.1. I have an iPhone 6S, wife has iPhone 11 Pro.
If we walk up to the car together but I open the drivers door first, car thinks it’s her and crushes me into her seat/steering wheel setting!
Otherwise no noticeable issues.

I have noticed the unlocking (based on my phone) has been much more unreliable lately, possibly worse since the last update.

Sometimes it will work perfectly, sometimes only after 'selecting' the app on the phone, and sometimes I have had to resort to the key card (bit embarrassing!).

It's a OnePlus phone on Android 10, and the car is on 2020.20.12 currently.

I had the same issue yesterday when I went out to collect a take away. Was fine at the house, but when I returned to the car with my pizzas it wouldn’t unlock until I unlocked my iPhone. Currently running 2020.20.12

Did you already know that Tesla has a widget that makes it easy to get to your app? Swipe right. Makes it easier to unlock your car. The widget might not be at the first screen. So scroll down looking for it. Then you can move it up to access faster.

Never needed a widget or swiping before. Possibly had to wake the phone up but that was about it. I haven’t quite worked out what phone state is needed to get the door to open It seems very unpredictable. Fortunately haven’t needed to resort to the keycard yet because it’s often locked in the car! Once in the car, it often seems to need to be told to connect Bluetooth to the phone before a call can be made - never needed that before.