Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photo of new hitches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the tow package receiver. To attach it, you remove a plastic cover from beneath the bumper, use the key with the receiver, turn the knob, and insert it so that it locks in place.

1975916b4766ce1255c9dace9ab35396.jpg

d825d2a8b6e3257f5e1845cf7dbc8431.jpg

@FlasherZ Thanks for posting the pictures. I am glad the receiver is removable.

No worries...

The 7-pin power connector faces downward from the car once the plastic beneath the bumper is removed. The plastic piece is a pain in the ass to snap back in place and secure -- at least it was for me.

The removable hitch mechanism is quite beautiful, though.

Accessory hitch is also removeable

The accessory hitch on Elon's car at the reveal was not removable, but it was able to be covered up with a plastic trim piece. Has that changed? Also, the formerly free accessory hitch was 1.25" and there are pictures of that around, but the new $200 accessory hitch is 2" and it may not have the same design - in particular a 2" receiver may not fit inside the same plastic tunnel that hid the old 1.25" hitch.

The accessory hitch on Elon's car at the reveal was not removable, but it was able to be covered up with a plastic trim piece. Has that changed? Also, the formerly free accessory hitch was 1.25" and there are pictures of that around, but the new $200 accessory hitch is 2" and it may not have the same design - in particular a 2" receiver may not fit inside the same plastic tunnel that hid the old 1.25" hitch.

Complete WAG and unfounded speculation here, but perhaps the new accessory hitch is basically a lighter-weight version of the above receiver assembly without the light harness or trailer mode settings?

Complete WAG and unfounded speculation here, but perhaps the new accessory hitch is basically a lighter-weight version of the above receiver assembly without the light harness or trailer mode settings?

That was my thinking. Why build two essentially identical parts when you can just build 1? The assembly doesn't change. What it hooks into (the structural supports underneath) does and whether it has a light & brake control harness does. As well as whether trailer mode is enabled or not.

My one disappointment with trailer mode is that it disables autopilot. If there's any time I particularly WANT autopilot it's when I'm heading someplace where I would want to be hauling a trailer and keeping the speed down to minimize range impact of the trailer!

My one disappointment with trailer mode is that it disables autopilot. If there's any time I particularly WANT autopilot it's when I'm heading someplace where I would want to be hauling a trailer and keeping the speed down to minimize range impact of the trailer!

The car would then have blind spots, Tesla would need to make their own trailer with sensors and whatnot to allow this. Elon has considered having a trailer with an extended battery pack so this may come in the future.

I'm assuming that cruise control works though, no reason it shouldn't.

The car would then have blind spots, Tesla would need to make their own trailer with sensors and whatnot to allow this. Elon has considered having a trailer with an extended battery pack so this may come in the future.

I'm assuming that cruise control works though, no reason it shouldn't.

I was very surprised to hear that Elon and his team were considering building their own trailers with an external battery. I'd be even more surprised if they actually create one. I would expect that a trailer, with all the required battery heating/cooling and protective shell to be quite heavy and reduce the effectiveness of those extra cells. But if Tesla manages to design something compelling, I'd definitely consider buying such a trailer.