Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked-up M3 today and car pulls to the right on highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my M3 today from Fremont Delivery Center.

Noticed the problem of the car constantly drifts to the right on highway immediately when I drove back home. Have to constantly apply a torque towards the left to maintain the car drive straight.

Anyone else had this kind of problem before? Can I just swap to another car/return it within 7 days, or ask for a service to repair?

Thanks for your guidance in advance:)

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333

Noticed the problem of the car constantly drifts to the right on highway immediately when I drove back home. Have to constantly apply a torque towards the left to maintain the car drive straight.

Anyone else had this kind of problem before? Can I just swap to another car/return it within 7 days, or ask for a service to repair?

Take it back.

They will align and balance the tires.

Reactions: Dana1 and T-Will

I had exactly this issue, and also the steering wheel was skewed slightly to the right when driving straight. I actually remember seeing a few posts about this on the Model 3 owners club, so I don't think it's particularly unusual.

Anyway, take it to the service center and they should be able to fix it.

No, don't do anything, yet.

Drive it for a while. The car "supposedly" self calibrates to the crown of the roads you typically drive.

This is NOT Autosteering calibration I'm referring to.

I just read it the other day on this or another forum. I was shocked the car does this. I forget how many miles it takes for it to recalibrate.

Try googling around to find more info. It could certainly have an alignment issue, but it might not and you only end up making things worse.

EDIT: Also double check air pressures.

Last edited:
When did this started happening as SOP?! Really!

Well to be fair, I have purchased many brand new vehicles and not one of them left the showroom floor needing an alignment. The quality control at Tesla is very lacking which is why you're seeing these threads as the normal humans that are buying them aren't used to this low of a bar when purchasing new cars.

Now, I'll get a bunch of replies of all these BMWs/Lexuses (Lexii?) that all needed an alignment once they drove it off the show room floor :p

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
The second car I ever bought, a brand new Dodge (crap I cant even remember th model now) was so bad it used to literally shoot off the side of the road. I took it back 4x before they finally told me they had "shimmed the suspension as far as it would go and that was all they could do". Being 25 and stupid I kept the car like that.... ugh!

Well to be fair, I have purchased many brand new vehicles and not one of them left the showroom floor needing an alignment. The quality control at Tesla is very lacking which is why you're seeing these threads as the normal humans that are buying them aren't used to this low of a bar when purchasing new cars.

Now, I'll get a bunch of replies of all these BMWs/Lexuses (Lexii?) that all needed an alignment once they drove it off the show room floor :p

All three of our Teslas have badly needed alignment after delivery, and all were inventory vehicles with mileage on them. I Just don't think they check. To be fair, I've heard from service managers that the car's alignment gets banged up when transporting and loading on/off transporters. A brand new 4runner we had last year also had a bad alignment on delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
All three of our Teslas have badly needed alignment after delivery, and all were inventory vehicles with mileage on them. I Just don't think they check. To be fair, I've heard from service managers that the car's alignment gets banged up when transporting and loading on/off transporters. A brand new 4runner we had last year also had a bad alignment on delivery.
If they do the same as dealers, they check that the steering wheel is straight. It's very easy for any car to be pushed out of alignment during transit because they are subject to forces that are different from the forces during driving (unless the car hits a curb hard or something).

Reactions: Lhshockey24

Noted.

But in my 20+ years of driving - having a misaligned car is not unusual.
And certainly not something you return the car for; if not for TSLA's 3 day return policy - you'd have a hard time convincing any sane person that this is a lemon. Which essentially what you are calling a car when you want to return it.

Well to be fair, I have purchased many brand new vehicles and not one of them left the showroom floor needing an alignment.
You got lucky or just happened to purchase from a dealer that actually checks the alignment, in my opinion. I've had several new cars that needed an alignment. This is not quality control, it's transport damage.

Noted.

But in my 20+ years of driving - having a misaligned car is not unusual.
And certainly not something you return the car for; if not for TSLA's 3 day return policy - you'd have a hard time convincing any sane person that this is a lemon. Which essentially what you are calling a car when you want to return it.

I wasn't speaking to returning the car, sorry if my response lead to that belief. I had meant just the general complaining. No, no one should ever think a misalignment was justification for returning a car for a refund.

The second car I ever bought, a brand new Dodge (crap I cant even remember th model now) was so bad it used to literally shoot off the side of the road. I took it back 4x before they finally told me they had "shimmed the suspension as far as it would go and that was all they could do". Being 25 and stupid I kept the car like that.... ugh!
No test drive?