Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my M3 last week, no longer caring about "Safety Score" after two false FCWs and I'm having a blast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a long time user and contributor of OpenPilot and picked up a 2019 Model 3 last week. I've never used AP before and apart from the system being less polished than OpenPilot, I was aiming for a high "Safety Score" in hopes of getting into the FSD beta.

I've had two false FCWs in the last two days, dragging my 100 down to 93. One was at a carwash, the guy wasn't even near the front of the car. Today, no idea why as I never got a FCW warning.

Opting out and back in doesn't reset the score, and honestly, trying to get a high score has made my ownership experience stressful since getting the car due to the false positives. I'm so thankful Tesla Insurance isn't available here, I would be so pissed to have my rates jack up due to Alpha quality software.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the car and I'm considering installing OpenPilot and letting my AP sub expire. At least I won't be paying $200 a month for lane change features.

• Love
Reactions: impastu
I'm a long time user and contributor of OpenPilot and picked up a 2019 Model 3 last week. I've never used AP before and apart from the system being less polished than OpenPilot, I was aiming for a high "Safety Score" in hopes of getting into the FSD beta.

I've had two false FCWs in the last two days, dragging my 100 down to 93. One was at a carwash, the guy wasn't even near the front of the car. Today, no idea why as I never got a FCW warning.

Opting out and back in doesn't reset the score, and honestly, trying to get a high score has made my ownership experience stressful since getting the car due to the false positives. I'm so thankful Tesla Insurance isn't available here, I would be so pissed to have my rates jack up due to Alpha quality software.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the car and I'm considering installing OpenPilot and letting my AP sub expire. At least I won't be paying $200 a month for lane change features.

Technically its your FSD sub.

But, yeah the safety score is pure torture.

So glad I'm done with that and I'm on the other side of hell.

To each their own, as you should enjoy your car/purchase. But just to be clear, it is for some of us. Having gone through the Safety Score game (it’s following very specific rules) and doing it back when they were letting more people into FSD beta, it’s been great for us. We have Tesla insurance and nothing is changing yet rates-wise. FSD beta shuts off Safety Score and I drive the way I always did before when driving manually (I’m a “spirited” driver) usually when I’m late for something, but it’s also pretty amazing seeing FSD beta iterations/improvements when turning it on as much as I can.

To each their own, as you should enjoy your car/purchase. But just to be clear, it is for some of us. Having gone through the Safety Score game (it’s following very specific rules) and doing it back when they were letting more people into FSD beta, it’s been great for us. We have Tesla insurance and nothing is changing yet rates-wise. FSD beta shuts off Safety Score and I drive the way I always did before when driving manually (I’m a “spirited” driver) usually when I’m late for something, but it’s also pretty amazing seeing FSD beta iterations/improvements when turning it on as much as I can.
The whole point of a safety mechanism shouldn't be designed to encourage gamified behavior such as running yellow lights and avoiding everyday, normal activities such as going to a car wash. Phantom braking and false FCWs hasn't been something I've experienced since 2019 in either the OpenPilot codebase or with other ADAS systems, I get them almost everyday now. The fact that they would judge "safe drivers" and insurance rates based off a half-baked system is mind blowing to me.

FSD dev should be paused until they work out phantom braking and especially false FCWs that can cause an accident, at the least. To each their own, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: hellocar