Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked a new Model 3 Performance in December. I wanted a car for normal city driving and the occasional road trip a few hours away. My other car is a sportscar that is deathly allergic to any temperature below 50 degrees so I thought this would be the perfect addition. I live in a high rise with a garage that while not being heated, typically only goes down to about 40 degrees at the coldest.

I live in the Midwest where it can get down to the teens so I expected some range loss in cold weather, but the real world range I'm seeing is nowhere near reasonable. And this cold weather the following data is in was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For example, a 80 minute drive on the highway, never exceeding 80 mph used up about 51 kWh, for a Wh/mi of 518.
I then charged for an hour and preconditioned, only to make it 120 miles, averaging 68 mph, with a Wh/mi of nearly 460.

When I complained I was told "this is a city car, not a roadtrip car", so now I rent cars for my drives anywhere outside of 120 miles and drive it around the city. I still have never seen a full charge make it 130 miles without scrambling for a supercharger.

My usage while baby'ing the throttle with it in chill mode still ranges between 393 at the lowest and 1352 Wh/mi at the highest, with the only times it's under 600 Wh/mi is when it's preconditioned. I've also stopped using the seat and steering wheel warmers and keep the climate below 67 degrees on low to try and save energy.

I'm also not saving on gas, not even accounting for the wasted time it takes to charge vs filling up a tank. I charged 22 kWh yesterday (on a supercharger), which took 20 minutes. That's 27% of my range and based on historical data that should go about 40 miles. It cost $9, which is the equivalent to about 2.3 gallons of unleaded and I can tell you 17 mpg is below average for me in my other car.

Everyone I've talked to says that a total range of about 150 miles is the absolute best I can expect when it's below 45 degrees, and when I've called Tesla for support they've stated the same. And they said driving it a few times a week around the city I should expect around 75 miles from a full charge because the battery needs to get to operating temp. lol. Imagine an ICE car saying the best range you can expect is 75 miles.

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.
Okay rambling rant over. Anyone want to buy this amazing car?

Driving at 80mph is what kills it. Just like other cars, the EPA is based on a mix of slow city driving and 55mph highway driving. Since electric motors are extremely efficient, rolling resistance plays a bigger role than in ICE cars.
See: EV Range: Everything You Need to Know

As far as city vs road trip, Teslas are some of the best road trip EVs. Your performance model with its 20" wheels isn't best though.

I picked a new Model 3 Performance in December. I wanted a car for normal city driving and the occasional road trip a few hours away. My other car is a sportscar that is deathly allergic to any temperature below 50 degrees so I thought this would be the perfect addition. I live in a high rise with a garage that while not being heated, typically only goes down to about 40 degrees at the coldest.

I live in the Midwest where it can get down to the teens so I expected some range loss in cold weather, but the real world range I'm seeing is nowhere near reasonable. And this cold weather the following data is in was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For example, a 80 minute drive on the highway, never exceeding 80 mph used up about 51 kWh, for a Wh/mi of 518.
I then charged for an hour and preconditioned, only to make it 120 miles, averaging 68 mph, with a Wh/mi of nearly 460.

When I complained I was told "this is a city car, not a roadtrip car", so now I rent cars for my drives anywhere outside of 120 miles and drive it around the city. I still have never seen a full charge make it 130 miles without scrambling for a supercharger.

My usage while baby'ing the throttle with it in chill mode still ranges between 393 at the lowest and 1352 Wh/mi at the highest, with the only times it's under 600 Wh/mi is when it's preconditioned. I've also stopped using the seat and steering wheel warmers and keep the climate below 67 degrees on low to try and save energy.

I'm also not saving on gas, not even accounting for the wasted time it takes to charge vs filling up a tank. I charged 22 kWh yesterday (on a supercharger), which took 20 minutes. That's 27% of my range and based on historical data that should go about 40 miles. It cost $9, which is the equivalent to about 2.3 gallons of unleaded and I can tell you 17 mpg is below average for me in my other car.

Everyone I've talked to says that a total range of about 150 miles is the absolute best I can expect when it's below 45 degrees, and when I've called Tesla for support they've stated the same. And they said driving it a few times a week around the city I should expect around 75 miles from a full charge because the battery needs to get to operating temp. lol. Imagine an ICE car saying the best range you can expect is 75 miles.

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.
Okay rambling rant over. Anyone want to buy this amazing car?

Something is wrong with your car. Seriously. At 70mph, I get about 250 Wh/mi at 50 degrees and mine is a Performance. Time to take it in.

Something is wrong with your car. Seriously. At 70mph, I get about 250 Wh/mi at 50 degrees and mine is a Performance. Time to take it in.

I have, twice. They've stood by the range and told me that for my 5 mile trips around the city I should expect 100 miles total, and for my highway driving I should expect about 145 miles in 45 degree weather at 68 mph.

Are you driving on 20 inch wheels that are flat? Even at 100 mph+ in 32 degree weather with properly inflated tires I can get 180 to 200 miles.

For the charging it must be at a really low rate to only get 22 kWh. For 20 minutes of Tier 1 charging it should only be ~$3.40. Your math is not adding up.

I'm at 41 psi, I've checked on the coldest days.

66 kW average charge rate, 74 kW max.
Images attached that show the charge rate, and cost.
22 kWh total, for $8.75

Attachments

• IMG_0095.PNG
    IMG_0095.PNG
    299.1 KB · Views: 658
  • Invoice.png
    Invoice.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 485
  • Disagree
Reactions: finman100
you do lose range when it's cold and you don't condition i,t but you should have known that, it's not new. I drive 75 on the freeway and average 251 Kw/mile after two years. Maybe post a photo of your lifetime average because I'm having trouble believing your 600 Wh/mile.....prove me wrong

If there's an easy way to do that I'll send it. All I know how to grab now is the last month's data from Nikola via screengrab.

I just downloaded TeslaFi yesterday and it's not showing historical data.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.PNG
    IMG_0096.PNG
    312.6 KB · Views: 504
Wow. Maybe time for the lemon law. The inefficiency of your 3 doesn't make any sense. We have a Y on 20" induction wheels and we have a lifetime average of 272 wh/mi (odo at just under 10k) and usually make 60-70 mile trips under 250 wh/mi, even with a TON of highway driving at 80mph, mountains, etc. And it isn't always warm here. Even when it's in the 40s we get much better efficiency than you're getting. It really doesn't make sense that your car is performing so poorly and I don't blame you for being furious about it. I would be too.

If there's an easy way to do that I'll send it. All I know how to grab now is the last month's data from Nikola via screengrab.

I just downloaded TeslaFi yesterday and it's not showing historical data.
I sure hope it's not that TeslaFi mining bitcoins while you drive ;)

Note, that it is the AC that spends juice, not the Fan. So you can keep the Fan and seat heater on, just switch off AC.

Lifetime averages from trippss... pic above.

Furthermore, in my understanding the range if unconditioned is "worst case", i.e., when you drive, it warms up, and range recovers. To see short range while cold it just means you drive so short trips the battery never gets warm enough to show actual range (the car does not estimate "warm range").

Reactions: X-pilot
Status
Not open for further replies.