Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up car issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then my other question would be, with this tiny bit of paint chip doesn't even matter? Does the bumper even need to be replaced, doesn't even need to be touched up? Is it worth it to replace the bumper for a tiny bit of paint chip? Tesla wants to make it right by doing that, but is it really necessary? Better to leave a tiny paint chip, or better to have a whole bumper replaced?

FYI, Mobile Service can even replace the bumper for you - as they come out and often (not always - if they're good) remove the bumper to install HomeLink.

FYI, Mobile Service can even replace the bumper for you - as they come out and often (not always - if they're good) remove the bumper to install HomeLink.
It sounds like it's too late now but what's the advantage of taking delivery of a car that requires rework? The majority of cars do not require rework so the chances that you'll get one that you can take home and not have deal with taking it back to the service center (which we all know are often pretty impacted in CA) are pretty good. Rejecting the car might even save Tesla money since there's a chance it will get delivered to someone who doesn't care.

History has a way of repeating itself over and over again.

New buyer comes along, tries to prepare for delivery of a new Tesla. Posts on the forum, gets some comments on what to look for and what to avoid. Buyer is told not to accept delivery of a car with issues. Rejecting a car is no big deal. They will just find you another one. Accepting delivery and then trying to go through the return process is a huge deal. They will hold on to your money for 60 days, and they will prevent you from reordering the same trim. And in states where you can trade in your old vehicle and only pay the sales tax on the net amount (not including California) you lose that benefit too.

Buyer gets anxious at the delivery center and accepts delivery even though there are issues. Tesla rep tells them not to worry about it. Tesla rep doesn’t know what they are talking about. Buyer listens to rep and ignores advice from the forum. Buyer takes the car home and discovers even more issues. Rethinks their decision to accept the car. Begins thinking about the return process. Discovers the return process is very complicated. Gets very frustrated with Tesla.

This will keep happening over and over again unfortunately. We read about these posts now on almost a daily basis.

If Tesla can reverse this transaction that’s the way to go. If they can’t or won’t do it, just get the repairs over with. You don’t want them hanging on to your money for 60 days and preventing you from ordering another car.

If any new buyers are out there reading this, learn from other people’s mistakes. Never accept a car with issues. There are plenty of vehicles in inventory that are ready to go and need no rework. I’ve purchased three of them this year while rejecting two that did need rework. Rework should be Tesla’s problem, not yours.

Good luck with whatever you decide Mike. I’m sure you will figure out the best course of action now that you know the issues.

Thanks, yeah the way they phrase it to you, is service center will fix this no problem. Then the service center calls you an hour later and tells you it is a big problem. So yeah absolutely just don't take the car. She told me I could take the car talk to the service center and she's not going to put the order in till the end of the day anyway, so I took it as that. But now they're telling me that's not true that she did put the order in even though she told me she wasn't going to. So the pressure suddenly feels like a used car lot and it sort of sucks. Worst case I return the car and don't get a Tesla. That's what they want and that's what they want

It sounds like it's too late now but what's the advantage of taking delivery of a car that requires rework? The majority of cars do not require rework so the chances that you'll get one that you can take home and not have deal with taking it back to the service center (which we all know are often pretty impacted in CA) are pretty good. Rejecting the car might even save Tesla money since there's a chance it will get delivered to someone who doesn't care.

I agree with you. But since he took delivery the stakes are different.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Thanks, yeah the way they phrase it to you, is service center will fix this no problem. Then the service center calls you an hour later and tells you it is a big problem. So yeah absolutely just don't take the car. She told me I could take the car talk to the service center and she's not going to put the order in till the end of the day anyway, so I took it as that. But now they're telling me that's not true that she did put the order in even though she told me she wasn't going to. So the pressure suddenly feels like a used car lot and it sort of sucks. Worst case I return the car and don't get a Tesla. That's what they want and that's what they want

I honestly have no idea whether the Tesla reps are intentionally lying or just incredibly misinformed. I suppose it doesn’t matter either way but I just like to know whether someone is trying to mislead me intentionally or not. But either way you just have to know that virtually everything a Tesla rep tells you is likely wrong or at least not the entire story. This forum is the only way to figure out what’s really happening at Tesla and how to effectively deal with them.

Given that the rep told you that you have until the end of the day before she puts the order in, I would drive back to the service center and drop the car off and tell them you are rejecting the car. Ignore what the manager said. They can pull the paperwork. They just don’t want to.

If its not right get a new one, you will never be happy knowing your new car has problems.
Hope the next one is good. Do your inspection before signing on the dotted line and look it over very carefully.

Just stopped in at the service center they looked at the panel gaps and said they could not fix. It is what it is, and he admitted that it's pretty bad. And he also said they do need to replace the bumper, he recommended me not to taking the car. So this will be interesting now I'm heading back to where I got it from, to tell them that I do not want it and to see if the paperwork has gone through yet which they claimed it would not till the end the day.

You are totally right, they told me to just take it to the service center and they sort of convinced me to take it. I should have research better and not have done that

Well that escalated quickly. If possible just ask for a new bumper painted already instead of repainting it. I don't understand how its cheaper? for Tesla to repaint/replace part instead of touching it up?

Just stopped in at the service center they looked at the panel gaps and said they could not fix. It is what it is, and he admitted that it's pretty bad. And he also said they do need to replace the bumper, he recommended me not to taking the car. So this will be interesting now I'm heading back to where I got it from, to tell them that I do not want it and to see if the paperwork has gone through yet which they claimed it would not till the end the day.

Choose your words very carefully at the delivery center. Inform them that you are rejecting the car, not returning it. If they question it just inform them that you were given until the end of the day to decide whether to accept or reject it. Don’t let them tell you that it’s too late. Just tell them you are going by what they agreed to. Don’t give them the option to say no.

Reactions: MikeR55

OK. Reject it. As the person above suggested. Don't take no for an answer.

So they would not let me reject it. They said despite the fact that they told me I had all day, I actually did not, and it has already been processed and there's nothing they can do about it. The salesperson manager at Burbank was very nice, he understood the problem, especially once he saw the gaps in the panels. Although he kept saying that it's probably better to get a service installed bumper than a factory-installed bumper, but I obviously don't agree with buying a new car and getting the bumper replaced the next day. he's working with the sales manager in Santa Monica where I bought it from, they are searching for the same car, new vin, they will talk to Tesla and make sure that I can return this one, and then order the exact same one, they're already actively searching for it. So they're doing everything they can accept just letting me replace it. Because I drove off the lot they're saying legally they cannot do anything even though their person when I picked it up today told me I could. So basically I have to return this, I won't get my check back for 30 days, but they will let me buy the same car again with Tesla's permission, and he doesn't see a reason why not. In the meantime they told me to hold on to this car just don't put a thousand miles on it and make sure to bring it back within 7 days. So it is being treated as a return, which is a pain, but they are all working very hard to do right by me.

So they would not let me reject it. They said despite the fact that they told me I had all day, I actually did not, and it has already been processed and there's nothing they can do about it. The salesperson manager at Burbank was very nice, he understood the problem, especially once he saw the gaps in the panels. Although he kept saying that it's probably better to get a service installed bumper than a factory-installed bumper, but I obviously don't agree with buying a new car and getting the bumper replaced the next day. he's working with the sales manager in Santa Monica where I bought it from, they are searching for the same car, new vin, they will talk to Tesla and make sure that I can return this one, and then order the exact same one, they're already actively searching for it. So they're doing everything they can accept just letting me replace it. Because I drove off the lot they're saying legally they cannot do anything even though their person when I picked it up today told me I could. So basically I have to return this, I won't get my check back for 30 days, but they will let me buy the same car again with Tesla's permission, and he doesn't see a reason why not. In the meantime they told me to hold on to this car just don't put a thousand miles on it and make sure to bring it back within 7 days. So it is being treated as a return, which is a pain, but they are all working very hard to do right by me.
Seems like a reasonable resolution.

Dealers are always anxious to have new car buyers drive their cars off the lot; hence the "Due Bill". Driving the car off the lot triggers legal delivery. Maybe a new car salesperson, manager or store owner will offer details.

I went to pick up my M3 there was a dent on the driver step plate and a bit of obstruction plastic near the charger. You should get exactly what you pay for and the delivery associate / sales person are generally really pushy on getting you accept the car. I ended up taking delivery and made sure I got an email stating the "DUE BILL" so I would get those things repaired.

The way I see it, if it's not a major damage to the frame itself - mobile service can fix it while I'm at home or work. They've gotten pretty good with their service and have been spot on in the Sacramento / Santa Clara area.

Reactions: MikeR55