Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my Model S in 12 hours, 30 minuites.... Any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm picking up my Model S in a little over 12 hours. Any tips on what questions to ask or pickup? Before I put a new 200A service in my other garage, is it worth it? I only drive about 60 miles a day and it can charge overnight, right?

It gonna rain, which isn't cool, but I'm going to Aquapel all windows and roof....

Any input is appreciated ;)

Steve

2013 Model S Performance | Blue Metallic | Performance Plus | 85kWh

Try to get some sleep before you pick it up.

Check for any nicks, dings or problems with the interior and make sure your DS knows about it.

Check to make sure you have enough charge to get home.

Listen to the DS.

Take pictures of everything.

Remember, it's called an "accelerator" not a "gas pedal". Make sure to test it thoroughly. And often.

If you get a speeding ticket on the way home, make sure to take a photo of your touchscreen with the backup camera showing the cop behind you.

Post all of your pictures here.

Welcome to TMC :)

Use nickjhowe's excellent Delivery Inspection Checklist. You'll be so excited, you may forget some pertinent things. I used it and was glad to have it with me.

As far as the electrical, I'm guessing you're asking about the HPWC. I have one and many do. For the most part you don't need it. 40 amp charging is just fine to add 60 miles overnight. If you use 60 miles a day and almost never go for a long drive on the same day, plug the car in to 40 amps and you'll always be full in the morning. Don't get me wrong. I like the HPWC. I just haven't ever needed it's increased speed yet. In my case (and seemingly in yours) the extra expense for the HPWC, and installation etc... is hard to justify. So if saving money is an object, a 40 amp 14-50 outlet with the UMC should suffice.

Mostly congrats, and thoroughly enjoy the day! You are gonna fall in love with this car.

So I'm picking up my Model S in a little over 12 hours. Any tips on what questions to ask or pickup? Before I put a new 200A service in my other garage, is it worth it? I only drive about 60 miles a day and it can charge overnight, right?

It gonna rain, which isn't cool, but I'm going to Aquapel all windows and roof....

Steve

Are you picking up in Rockville? If yes I saw your car earlier this week.

eramusun.jpg

Seconded on using the checklist.

I don't have the list in front of me, but I don't know if it mentioned license plate frame... if you are indeed picking up from Rockville they were out of them on Friday (5/24) when I picked mine up, but told me I could have one when they came back in, so you might want to ask.

They also have the frunk nets on sale there for $20 if you are interested.

Other than that, the folks at the service center (Zander and Nathan) were quite courteous. Enjoy!

If you did not get the clear wrap option, I suggest getting a full frontal Xpel wrap before you get the first nick or ding. I did not get it in time and I regret it. I compared it to my 3 year Audi with no paint nicks and incorrectly decided not to get a wrap. Somehow, the MS lower profile hood, aluminum composition and paint seem to nick easier. Not sure exactly why.

On the fun side, I recommend taking some road trips. To start, keep them less than 150 miles each way and a charger at the location where you stay. So much fun! I am currently in Portland, Oregon, visiting from Seattle. Stayed here last night and my baby is fully charged this morning for the day and trip back tonight.

Steve

Back window collects dirt. I don't think the roof needs Aquapel.
Gorgeous car, grats.

60 miles is too much for a 110V, 15A circuit but a 50A NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 is enough for most folks. You'll get 25 miles of charge per hour easily with that. The extra charger, if you got it, is great for needing a faster charge on the road.

If available, get an extra mobile charger so you can have one for your home and one in the car. If getting the HPWC then it serves as the home charger.

And the wheels scuff easily, wide car. I installed the "Alloy Gator" product on ours.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm picking mine up in Portland/Tigard :) I'm excited to see how different the performance plus package is compared to the test drive...... I live right off I5 north of Portland, so I know the drive home will be great. I'll see if I can post some pics - as rainy as it may be ;)

Before I put a new 200A service in my other garage, is it worth it? I only drive about 60 miles a day and it can charge overnight, right?

Charging at 40amps is plenty for just about everyone, you probably don't need to upgrade anything yet just for the Model S. The reason to get the new 200A service in your other garage is for 5 years from now when all you have are EVs, so you might as well do it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm picking mine up in Portland/Tigard :) I'm excited to see how different the performance plus package is compared to the test drive...... I live right off I5 north of Portland, so I know the drive home will be great. I'll see if I can post some pics - as rainy as it may be ;)

You'll have to come join the Portland Tesla group one of these months SLinder. You've found this forum - this is one way to stay in touch. Also visit PDX Tesla for mailing list and other info. And congratulations! We need more Teslas in Portland.

Definitely! I also Aquapelled my windows 2 blocks from picking it up :) The stuff is incredible and lasts for months. I used one applicator on the windshield, one for all of the sides, one for the pano roof, and on on the rear windows....

Driving down the hwy in the heaviest downpour - I didn't have to use the wipers and the rear window was dry :) The only thing is that when was applying the aquapel and applying it, I noticed to nicks on the windshield - this is just 2 blocks from the dealer :( I'm hoping they have some kind of solution to fix it since it was "two blocks new".....

But other than that, I love it! Excited for the X I have on order :)

Definitely! I also Aquapelled my windows 2 blocks from picking it up :) The stuff is incredible and lasts for months. I used one applicator on the windshield, one for all of the sides, one for the pano roof, and on on the rear windows....

Driving down the hwy in the heaviest downpour - I didn't have to use the wipers and the rear window was dry :) The only thing is that when was applying the aquapel and applying it, I noticed to nicks on the windshield - this is just 2 blocks from the dealer :( I'm hoping they have some kind of solution to fix it since it was "two blocks new".....

But other than that, I love it! Excited for the X I have on order :)

Right on! You'll have to join up with the PDX group. If you got the P85+, everyone's gonna want to see it.

By the end of July, rumor has it, we'll conservatively have 200 or so Model S in the metro area. Nothing like Seattle, but still pretty healthy pocket here.