Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up on Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to join the Tesla family with a MSP Midnight Silver, black interior, with 21", FSD. We also have a Model Y on Order with delivery TBD. Excited about the change to full EV. Coming out of several Audis.

Order was placed on 2/27 and scheduled pickup on 3/6 (it was an inventory car that was en route to center).

A couple of questions: (I have tried some searching and have not really found a good answer)

1. Recommendations on home charger. I was going to purchase the current Tesla offering but need a longer cord and the 18.5 cord version is OOS until???? the 8.5' is a little short for my garage (trying to have it reach both the S and the Y when it arrives). Is there another option that people recommend (i.e. charge point etc...)? If other brand, Im assuming I will need the special Tesla Adapter.
  2. I have dowloaded the App but it seems that there is no product associated with my login. Not sure if this only appears once I "close" on the deal and receive the car. I have completed all the info on the Tesla site for the car delivery (info, trade in, payment info etc....)
  3. Does the car need window tints? Do you tint the roof as well? What comes with the original car? I am in TX so the heat is brutal in the summer. Any recommendations on brands/spec?
  4. I may need to pick up and go straight to airport for a trip. I may need to park it for a week. The lot I am going to has chargers available. Anything recommended here? Leave it plugged in? Battery drain if not plugged in?
  5. Not going to ask for a checklist. I'll follow the thread roaming around here.
Anything else I am missing?

Thanks Juan

Congratulations on joining the Tesla family! Its a life altering experience! :) In a good way ofcourse. Which specific model did you get? LR or SR?

1. Can't recommend anything else other than the Tesla charger (haven't used anything else). Just use a local Supercharger till the Tesla HPWC is in stock. Plugging into your standard 110V outlet is ok for drives in town too.
  2. You won't see the car in the app till you take delivery. That's when the car is "authorized" to appear in your app.
  3. I always tint my car and its that hot in Ontario.
  4. You won't have any issues if its plugged in at the airport. You may piss off some people though if its plugged in for a few days like that. I would ensure its charged up at a local supercharger and turn off sentry mode and just leave it unplugged at the airport. Battery drain is minimal when sentry mode is off

Last edited:
Thanks SilverGS. It is a 2020 Performance model (maybe LR Performance here in the US). The long term lot at the airport states that you can reserve an EV Spot. if they will have to move it, it will not be an option, Ill park it myself.

Looking forward to it.

Juan

Reactions: SilverGS
Congrats, you are going to love it. The place I went to recommend to not tint the roof. I have ceramic tint and am very happy with it. Keeps the interior much cooler.

Battery drain hasn’t been an issue for me. If you turn on sentry mode it will drain the battery.

• Recommendations on home charger. I was going to purchase the current Tesla offering but need a longer cord and the 18.5 cord version is OOS until???? the 8.5' is a little short for my garage (trying to have it reach both the S and the Y when it arrives). Is there another option that people recommend (i.e. charge point etc...)? If other brand, Im assuming I will need the special Tesla Adapter.
  • I have dowloaded the App but it seems that there is no product associated with my login. Not sure if this only appears once I "close" on the deal and receive the car. I have completed all the info on the Tesla site for the car delivery (info, trade in, payment info etc....)
  • Does the car need window tints? Do you tint the roof as well? What comes with the original car? I am in TX so the heat is brutal in the summer. Any recommendations on brands/spec?
  • I may need to pick up and go straight to airport for a trip. I may need to park it for a week. The lot I am going to has chargers available. Anything recommended here? Leave it plugged in? Battery drain if not plugged in?
  • Not going to ask for a checklist. I'll follow the thread roaming around here.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome.

1. Any J1772 Level 2 EVSE will work so long as you use the adapter that comes with your car. I've been using the Zencar EVSE I installed for my previous car (Chevy Volt) and have not had any issues. Charge rates will vary based on voltage and amps as follows:
  • Level 1 (110v / 12A): ~3 miles per hour
  • Level 2 (240v / 16A): ~12 miles per hour
  • Level 2 (240v / 32A): ~25 miles per hour
  • Tesla HPWC (240v / 48A): ~49 miles per hour

2. The car will not be added to your account until you take delivery and sign on the dotted line. Sometimes the delivery center will add the car the day of to expedite the process.

3. The tinting on the roof if pretty effective. Note that I say that living in the northeast where temps in the summer typically max out in the 90s. In 110 degree heat I have no idea but the car does have built in functionality (Cabin Overheat Protection) that will cool the interior a bit in extreme heat at the cost of a little range.

4. I'd leave it plugged in if possible. While the car should not lose a ton of range in a week, until you get a sense of what any vampire draw may be, better not to leave it to chance. If not plugged in expect to lose a few miles of range per day.

Well, I guess Friday will not happen. This whole process with Tesla not being able to “sell” in Texas has been challenging to say the least. Paperwork, financing, trade in, less than stellar communication from Tesla team etc.... will not allow me to pick up the car on Friday. Then I leave for a week so the plan has shifted to 3/14. This was for an inventory car. Kind of crazy but it is what it is. On the bright side, I dont have to leave it at the airport for a week.

I was able to get the Gen 3 wall charger with the long cord today from Tesla! That’s is a positive.

J

Decided to join the Tesla family with a MSP Midnight Silver, black interior, with 21", FSD. We also have a Model Y on Order with delivery TBD. Excited about the change to full EV. Coming out of several Audis.

Order was placed on 2/27 and scheduled pickup on 3/6 (it was an inventory car that was en route to center).

A couple of questions: (I have tried some searching and have not really found a good answer)

1. Recommendations on home charger. I was going to purchase the current Tesla offering but need a longer cord and the 18.5 cord version is OOS until???? the 8.5' is a little short for my garage (trying to have it reach both the S and the Y when it arrives). Is there another option that people recommend (i.e. charge point etc...)? If other brand, Im assuming I will need the special Tesla Adapter.
  2. I have dowloaded the App but it seems that there is no product associated with my login. Not sure if this only appears once I "close" on the deal and receive the car. I have completed all the info on the Tesla site for the car delivery (info, trade in, payment info etc....)
  3. Does the car need window tints? Do you tint the roof as well? What comes with the original car? I am in TX so the heat is brutal in the summer. Any recommendations on brands/spec?
  4. I may need to pick up and go straight to airport for a trip. I may need to park it for a week. The lot I am going to has chargers available. Anything recommended here? Leave it plugged in? Battery drain if not plugged in?
  5. Not going to ask for a checklist. I'll follow the thread roaming around here.
Anything else I am missing?

Thanks Juan

Sounds like the same model I ordered with 19" Carbon wheels. Did you get carbon fiber interior?

Can't wait for the report on your day when you get it.

M

Sounds like the same model I ordered with 19" Carbon wheels. Did you get carbon fiber interior?

Can't wait for the report on your day when you get it.

M
I did not get the carbon Fiber interior (I would have but it was a new inventory unit so I took what was available. I will be picking up a week from saturday (paperwork delays for the process in Texas which is less than straightforward since they can't "sell" in Texas). I am traveling this whole week so I will pick it up after I arrive.

Will let you know.

Juan