Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up P3D+ in two weeks and it's suppose to snow, what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have Tesla find you a set of winter wheels and tires. This can't be news to them. Also, make sure you drive in the snow with "chill" mode on and regen braking set to low. This will minimize unintentional slipping.

You live in Michigan, call tire rack, get set of winter tires. Put them on, at first snow and ice, go find big , really big parking lot.
Go and cut as many donuts as you need to fully understand how it handles. Put it in sideways slides. Practice, practice, practice.
Dont wait till u encounter it on the street.
I moved to Illinois , my neighbor taught me this. It was great advice.
Believe me, u will never regret the practice on ice and snow. This car is totally different from any car in the world.

You live in Michigan, call tire rack, get set of winter tires. Put them on, at first snow and ice, go find big , really big parking lot.
Go and cut as many donuts as you need to fully understand how it handles. Put it in sideways slides. Practice, practice, practice.
Dont wait till u encounter it on the street.
I moved to Illinois , my neighbor taught me this. It was great advice.
Believe me, u will never regret the practice on ice and snow. This car is totally different from any car in the world.
Tire Rack is the one quoting January 4 availability for tires...

Agree on the parking lot 'testing' :)

I’m floored. It is early November! There are 2 months til risk of substantial, sustained snow! You are getting an AWD car with traction control. In event of early snow, just drive carefully! People are recommending garaging?!?!? It is not on ice skates. It is a heavy, well balanced AWD car. Not optimal without all weather tires, but far from the worst car on the road. I drove my P85 S on 21s all winter the first year I had it.

Actually, our California mountains average 400 to 500 inches of snow per year.

As someone who regularly drives in them, I opted for P3D-, shod in lower-performance but winter-friendlier all-seasons.

Despite being “designed in California,” Teslas, especially AWD models, are terrific, even in massive snows. Shod in all-seasons, or better yet, the winter tires which Midwest/East Coast conditions allow, they should do just fine in the less-extreme snow and ice back there.

Yes but you could probably make the drive home on the 20s in California for most of the year.

It would be unsafe to do so for large portions of the calendar in many places outside CA.

Teslas are fine/good in the snow but they are not a revolution over other capable cars, in my opinion.

Thankfully so!!

And superior to Any other vehicle I've driven in winter. That includes driving in our lake effect snows, Minnesota blizzards and cold.

Staying home because of winter weather is not an option for us.

I'm in Minnesota as well. My point was Tesla did not give much thought to delivering a P3D with 20 inch tires outside of warm weather climates since they aren't providing a sub 40 degree option.

I’m floored. It is early November! There are 2 months til risk of substantial, sustained snow! You are getting an AWD car with traction control. In event of early snow, just drive carefully! People are recommending garaging?!?!? It is not on ice skates. It is a heavy, well balanced AWD car. Not optimal without all weather tires, but far from the worst car on the road. I drove my P85 S on 21s all winter the first year I had it.
AWD drive is not going to help him stop or maintain control any more than RWD especially on those summer tires. They turn rock hard and provide crap traction even on a dry surface when the temp gets cold. It is dangerous operating a vehicle during a Michigan winter running summer tires.

Reactions: voip-ninja and PatP
You're in Michigan and picking up in Ohio. You should know that just because it is going to snow has nothing to do with how much or type of snow that you are going to get. So first, chill, plan on getting the car and having fun.

The P3D is probably going to be awesome, even if is snows, the traction control seems to work very well and you've got AWD. So, from the very get-go, you are so much better than most any other car on the road.

Ok I’m going to sound like the old codger here:)

I totally agree that winter or at least all season tires are biggest mechanical factor in winter driving. Then weight distribution of car. Then AWD. Then traction control.

BUT the biggest factor by far is non mechanical. It is the skill and prudence of the driver. Those of us who grew up before radial tires, before AWD, before traction control... still had snow and ice. And some of us survived.

I think a lot of today’s drivers want to use today’s technology to drive the same way in winter and summer: fast and aggressive. I see it every winter. Morons in AWD SUVs with all season tires driving way faster than conditions dictate, tailgating, and often ending up in the ditch.

The first best defense in winter: drive within the capabilities of your car. The P3D out of the box is not as winter capable as it would be with more suitable rubber. But it is more than capable if you drive right!!:)

Reactions: jsanford
I'm picking up my P3D+ in Ohio and driving 4 hours home

- 20" A/S 3+ (all seasons) won't be available til 1/04/19
- 18" wheels from evwheeldirect and tsportline is backordered
- 20" Alpin PA 4 N-SPEC (winter tires) is the only one available within a week

I was planning on going 18" for winter but I won't get it in time and will need an all season or winter tire in the meantime. I was shooting for all seasons but it looks like winter tires on the 20" are my only option as of now.

Anyone have any other ideas on what I should do? If I drive slow will that suffice?

edit: forgot to mention I'm driving 4 hours home

At this point, contact Tesla, explain the situation and request the vehicle be changed to home delivery.

The last thing you want to do is take delivery of a brand new 450hp car, that you will just start getting use to and learning to drive, with Max Summer Performance tires and potentially drive it in sub-40F degree weather, or worse, snow.

Just take any and all inherent risk out of the equation.

Tell Tesla you want a delivery to your home and tell them why and that you will hold them responsible for any tire related issues otherwise. I would still go to the delivery center to inspect the car in person before completing all the paperwork. Having only summer tires available on a vehicle and then delivering to anywhere in the northern US or Canada in the winter is a liability issue just waiting to happen and is just plain stupid. And I told them so when I picked up my car the end of Sept when predicted lows below 40 were already expected.

Having said that, I don't understand the Jan delivery of the AS3+. Tire Rack says I can pick them up in Reno on Tuesday. But supply is limited. That is what I replaced my S4s with. Love them! Note that the stock tires do not have the foam ring inside so they will sound different.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. First off, weather predictions 2 weeks off are never reliable. That snow might not even materialize.

If it does snow, and if the plows have already been out, and you drive super carefully, I would think you would be OK. I've driven cars with summer tires in snowy conditions fairly safely, you just have to do everything way slower. Now if the plows haven't been out, and there's a foot of snow on the road, you aren't going anywhere.

I see on Discount Tire there are several all-season options, with the more appealing being the Nankang NS-25 A/S UHP. Does anyone have experience with these? They are pretty reasonably priced at $97/each. Colorado winter is about to hit so I need a solution as well.