Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.

Now to see how long the vinyl and plastidip last! A nice thing about the vinyl...is that if I ever get curb rash, I can just recover it with vinyl. The $16 of vinyl would be enough to do strips for 24 wheels.

Looks great, thanks for sharing!!

Are the majority of the guys here driving their pearl white MY or do the wives drive them most of the time? Is it still taboo for a (middle age) guy to drive a white car? I'm considered ordering my MY in pearl white this fall when my current X5 PHEV lease expires. My wife drives a pearl white 2016 X3 and if she falls in love with the MY and insists on driving it I'll trade in her X3 and let her keep the white MY, and get myself a blue MY. I'm just a bit apprehensive not having an ICE car for trips to areas where charging stations are scarce.

Are the majority of the guys here driving their pearl white MY or do the wives drive them most of the time? Is it still taboo for a (middle age) guy to drive a white car? I'm considered ordering my MY in pearl white this fall when my current X5 PHEV lease expires. My wife drives a pearl white 2016 X3 and if she falls in love with the MY and insists on driving it I'll trade in her X3 and let her keep the white MY, and get myself a blue MY. I'm just a bit apprehensive not having an ICE car for trips to areas where charging stations are scarce.

Youve got two very different issues here. The first, color. No, having a white car is not "girly" or taboo. White, especially with the blacked out pieces that it comes with, is pretty masculine. Regardless, its your car. Get whatever color you enjoy because no matter what, someone else is going to have a different opinion of it.

As for the charging stations, install a charger in your home and keep the charging cable in your car (or buy a second set). Regardless of where you go, you can charge overnight. Even if its at a reduced rate of 4 miles per hour/charge, 4x8 is 32 miles. Should be enough to get you to the nearest supercharger

Youve got two very different issues here. The first, color. No, having a white car is not "girly" or taboo. White, especially with the blacked out pieces that it comes with, is pretty masculine. Regardless, its your car. Get whatever color you enjoy because no matter what, someone else is going to have a different opinion of it.

As for the charging stations, install a charger in your home and keep the charging cable in your car (or buy a second set). Regardless of where you go, you can charge overnight. Even if its at a reduced rate of 4 miles per hour/charge, 4x8 is 32 miles. Should be enough to get you to the nearest supercharger

Yeah..plus....nearly all work/construction trucks and company fleet vehicles are white....I've never heard of white being "unmasculine"...

Definitely looks interesting....I haven't seen white rims in person in my area yet to make an opinion on them or not. How did you paint them? Masking and spraypaint?

I finally went ahead and put Vinyl on the outside edge of my rims to get rid of the silver ring. Here is what it looked like before ->

View attachment 563156
And after:

View attachment 563157

Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.

View attachment 563159
View attachment 563158

Now to see how long the vinyl and plastidip last! A nice thing about the vinyl...is that if I ever get curb rash, I can just recover it with vinyl. The $16 of vinyl would be enough to do strips for 24 wheels.

Wow. They kind of look like inductions but 2,000 less.... You're making me consider changing my mind lol. I was thinking of powder coating the geminis

looks really good. I went with induction and used the calipers as an accent

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

agree 100%.....white with tint looks pretty dope - heck get a personal plate [ fill in here] I carry an extra charging cable and never use it. kind of like ICE battery cables.