Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picture of jack points anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have taken a look at the owners manual -- not very descriptive. I tried to peer under the car, but I wasn't sure of the exact location of the jack points. Are these specifically marked locations? Are they covered by the trim (i.e., trim needs to be removed)? Does anyone have pictures of these points?

Thank you.

Kevin, if you have air suspensions, I suggest you put car at highest setting, then in "Jack" mode. The jack points are pretty obvious, but quite small and difficult to see because the car sits so low. Raising it should help you get an angle to see. I also found that they were much smaller than the surface of my jack, so I used a small block of 2x2 between jack and jack point so i would not have the jack contacting any other area. Sorry, but I'm away from car until tomorrow. If I don't see a photo response to your query, I'll add a photo to this post tomorrow. Good luck.

tomas-

Thanks for the information.

I did find this picture (Edmunds.com) on the web, and it gives an estimation of where they are.

fe_9171226_600.jpg

I ask this also because I am wondering if there are any special fittings for the jack point (groove, center hole) because I am interested in getting some JackPoint jack stands and they have various jack pads depending on the make of the car.

Here are pictures of the jackpoints I took while talking to jackpointjackstands.com. They are pretty small but I was able to jack up the car easily with my 3 ton jack that has a 4.5" diameter round lift plate. I didn't use a block like others suggest. One poster I saw recommended a hockey puck.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387074882.536714.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387074882.536714.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 747
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387074940.809711.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387074940.809711.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 746
The pads are 5.5 x 2.5".

If you order the jack point jack stands you need the standard riser plate since, according to discussions with the owner of the company, the low profile plate won't clear the lower edge of the battery pack.
So, get the standard plate.

In the end I didn't order the set but will in the new year: I already changed my tires for the winter and ended up not needing to get these, but they do look like a great / only option for jack stands on a Model S if you don't have a commercial lift.

The owner John at jackpointjackstands is very responsive and he & I have discussed at length the measurements. I don't think any Tesla owner has taken delivery of the stands yet.

If people are interested, I can see if we can arrange a group discount for these? Note I have no connection at all to the company but if there develops a show of interest it might be worth asking for a group discount code.

Again, I don't think any Tesla owners have these yet, and given the tight clearances between the battery and the jackpoint, it would be important for someone to try it first. I'm willing to do it, but it'll be after the holidays now, possibly after the weather gets nicer.

I have a 2 1/2 ton low profile jack currently that I used on my Porsche TT. I'm getting my Rial Lugano winter wheels next week and need to plan how I'll install them. I always just lifted one wheel at a time and changed the Wheel. What do you recommend a hokey puck or something else. My Porsche had a rectangular adapter. Maybe I should just take it to some shop to have the wheels put this time.

Some wheel guys I know here, just use ordinary hockey pucks. Say they work perfectly.

Steve was saying he didn't need anything in addition to the lift. So, maybe that isn't an issue for us.

The pads sold with the Jackpoint jack stands might give that extra clearance that a puck would provide.

I think changing wheels wouldn't necessitate a stand, but I'm also interested in cleaning the wells, treating with Iron X and applying a surface coating. Perhaps this is better done with the car on a stand rather than the lift since it will take longer.

Last edited:
If people are interested, I can see if we can arrange a group discount for these? Note I have no connection at all to the company but if there develops a show of interest it might be worth asking for a group discount code.

Again, I don't think any Tesla owners have these yet, and given the tight clearances between the battery and the jackpoint, it would be important for someone to try it first. I'm willing to do it, but it'll be after the holidays now, possibly after the weather gets nicer.

I would be. I had emailed the owner awhile ago asking about use on a Tesla. He didn't know at the time.

I did simply use the jack directly on the jack point: you just have to be careful that it doesn't hit the battery pack. Here's the link to the jack I have:
Amazon.com: Powerzone 380044 3 Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack: Automotive

I've put more info in the thread I originally started about these jackstands: check it here for images and diagrams I made of the Tesla jack point and how I think the jackpointjackstand will work on our cars. I've emailed the owner if he'll offer us a group discount code. I do recall he did this for a Porsche group, and I do think this is the only viable option for MS owners for a jack stand.

Any risk of using a Jackpoint jack stand on one side and then torquing the unibody / battery at all?

Ideally I'd then lift the opposite side to place the Jackpoint jack stand, but let's say I didn't. Would the elevation of one wheel on the Jackpoint stand cause any untoward injury to the pack because of the height?

Plenty of people (including Tesla service center, when I watched them replace my wheel once) use just jack (no jackstand even) on one corner to change wheels. So, if you take perspective "if they do it at service center, it must be OK re battery", then it's OK. Actually, even if you got 2 jackstands, you'd still have to jack one corner first, and cause the torque. If the torque could damage the battery, then the only "safe" approach would be a lift. I know I'm thinking aloud here. It must be OK to jack just one corner, or there would be all kinds of warnings in the manual (as there are re towing, etc.).

PS… you probably already know this, but be aware of the torque spec before you change wheels. If you under-torque, you are going to have problems.