TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Picture of the charger inside the car under the passenger seat??

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Anner J. Bonilla, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Anner J. Bonilla

Does anybody have pictures of the charger that goes inside the car under the passenger seat?
    I am trying to understand where does the AC from the HPWC get's converted to DC and I saw a picture of the junction box and the wiring diagram but it seems that the charging plug is connected directly to the high voltage junction box didn't saw it go to a charger.

2. Sogorman

Sogorman Member

This is correct the charge port, battery, charger, and DU are all joined in the HVJB. When charging on AC the charge port AC power is routed into the charger and then the charger feeds the battery. When using a supercharger the charger is bypassed and the DC from the supercharger is feed right into the battery pack

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

This is actually the Model X one, but the Model S looks almost identical. binary.jpg

4. tom66

tom66 Member

Pictures of inside the charger:

binary?size=.jpg

binary?size=.jpg

External photos

binary?size=.jpg

binary?size=.jpg

The charger converts AC electricity into DC electricity to charge the battery. It uses an isolated boost-buck converter, with a power-factor correcting boost pre-converter (utilising several large electrolytics) followed by a buck/boost transformer.