Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice photos, i have pre-ordered a M3 and getting ready to purchase a model S soon too. I live in Scandinavia and the wind here blows only the EV way so it was inevitable for me to get there too :)
Only a few comments as positive criticism, otherwise take it as you please:
1. As a 4 new BMWs owner for the past 15 years, i see the amount of cheap plastic (especially on the steering wheel) and i can only cringe... and don't tell me it's not cheap. I have had my share of Fords and Skodas and Toyotas and BMWs to know what is cheap and what is not. The steering wheel material screams from 3000miles away cheap, low grade PVC that will probably warp under the California sun after 10 years.
2. He still hasn't said anything about HUD display? I am quite sure that that oversized ipad he has as the nerve center of the vehicle might be liable for legal violations, see speedometer readable always laws, see dimable screens for night driving +++
3. I understand he wants to keep the cost low but now that his production sites have experience with streamlined series production why is the trimming on the M3 still like V1 model S? (referring to the misalignment of the back door).
All in all i am happy i will be purchasing a facelift model S and a late 2018 M3 rather than an early 2017. 100.000USD in total is a very serious amount of money to be playing lab rat for visionaries. I have the outmost respect for what Elon is trying to do and i love him just for giving a kick in the balls to this petroleum, slow death, stuck in dino-age capitalistic society (including myself) but i do expect him at some point to deliver a European and not an American car, with whatever that implies and however difficult it might be. After all, it's Elon Musk.
With all that seemingly mean but well intended stuff being said, i hope there is an option for a proper steering wheel and other upgrade options (maybe instrument panel!?!) for the M3 that will upgrade that plasticy feeling the Sn1 has. I would buy them all!
Clear skies and go Space-X!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic and Topher
Nice photos, i have pre-ordered a M3 and getting ready to purchase a model S soon too. I live in Scandinavia and the wind here blows only the EV way so it was inevitable for me to get there too :)
Only a few comments as positive criticism, otherwise take it as you please:
1. As a 4 new BMWs owner for the past 15 years, i see the amount of cheap plastic (especially on the steering wheel) and i can only cringe... and don't tell me it's not cheap. I have had my share of Fords and Skodas and Toyotas and BMWs to know what is cheap and what is not. The steering wheel material screams from 3000miles away cheap, low grade PVC that will probably warp under the California sun after 10 years.
2. He still hasn't said anything about HUD display? I am quite sure that that oversized ipad he has as the nerve center of the vehicle might be liable for legal violations, see speedometer readable always laws, see dimable screens for night driving +++
3. I understand he wants to keep the cost low but now that his production sites have experience with streamlined series production why is the trimming on the M3 still like V1 model S? (referring to the misalignment of the back door).
All in all i am happy i will be purchasing a facelift model S and a late 2018 M3 rather than an early 2017. 100.000USD in total is a very serious amount of money to be playing lab rat for visionaries. I have the outmost respect for what Elon is trying to do and i love him just for giving a kick in the balls to this petroleum, slow death, stuck in dino-age capitalistic society (including myself) but i do expect him at some point to deliver a European and not an American car, with whatever that implies and however difficult it might be. After all, it's Elon Musk.
With all that seemingly mean but well intended stuff being said, i hope there is an option for a proper steering wheel and other upgrade options (maybe instrument panel!?!) for the M3 that will upgrade that plasticy feeling the Sn1 has. I would buy them all!
Clear skies and go Space-X!!!

Maybe the Euro factory for Model 3 will have tighter tolerances and better feeling touchable plastic parts, if that market demands. But I think many N.A. buyers for this kind of car class / size in the ICE world pay no attention to either of these issues, so Tesla will have little trouble selling as-is in N.A. They'll all get sold.

BTW, did you find HUD very useful on any of your BMW's? During daylight.. ?

I'm not convinced the plastic will seem cheap. Most of the plastic looks similar to what I have in my Model X, and it certainly doesn't feel cheap. I also have a Hyundai, so I know what cheap plastic looks like. ;)
The screen is almost certainly legal in every market. This has been discussed here a number of times, and there are some cars with centrally displayed information, like the Prius.

Personally, I don't expect that there will be a HUD on the Model 3, ever. They'll remove the steering wheel before adding a HUD.
What misalignment? I can't see any misalignment, so you will have to point it out to me.

Reactions: SageBrush
Maybe the Euro factory for Model 3 will have tighter tolerances and better feeling touchable plastic parts, if that market demands. But I think many N.A. buyers for this kind of car class / size in the ICE world pay no attention to either of these issues, so Tesla will have little trouble selling as-is in N.A. They'll all get sold.

BTW, did you find HUD very useful on any of your BMW's? During daylight.. ?
I hear what you say but with Scandinavia (not gonna put Europe cause they dont amount for much of Teslas ownership) owning close to 10% of the Tesla production to this day i think that the Tesla factory should start paying attention to the details too...
But yeah i agree with you, 70-80% is in the US which is already a car of luxury compared to the competition so... i was just wondering how long does the world have to wait.

HUD in BMWs, while it is of good quality and is quite nice in dark, in light is not a thing of beauty but all BMWs have instrument panels so you can look away from it, or turn it off. On the M3, if i am not mistaken, it is already decided that there won't be an instrument panel so with HUD being the last resort i was thinking, ok better than nothing... If they wont put a HUD as even an option then why did they hire HUD designers and developers like 6 months ago?

As for the misalignment, first thread photo back door chrome trimming is off by at least 5mm to the chassis chrome trimming. That would never pass the QC of a European factory (at least the respectable ones) let alone the 'bosses' SN1 car. I don't know if it is a design misalignment or a fitting misalignment but either way it screams proto or SN1 at best. If you notice Model S showroom photos you will see that that part is continuous.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm not convinced the plastic will seem cheap. Most of the plastic looks similar to what I have in my Model X, and it certainly doesn't feel cheap. I also have a Hyundai, so I know what cheap plastic looks like. ;)
The screen is almost certainly legal in every market. This has been discussed here a number of times, and there are some cars with centrally displayed information, like the Prius.

Personally, I don't expect that there will be a HUD on the Model 3, ever. They'll remove the steering wheel before adding a HUD.
What misalignment? I can't see any misalignment, so you will have to point it out to me.

In whole of Europe ( i am not sure of US regulations) we pass PVC (periodic vehicle control) on 4th year of the car and then every 2nd year after that. All-time-active speedometer is part of that control. If you cannot see the speed of your vehicle you do not pass it then police takes your license plates etc.etc. I am quite sure that Tesla has covered all the legal grounds for it but at the same time i am thinking that, that screen needs to be quite dim to drive at night and then reading speed on a huge screen will be like playing a video game but IRL. Elon being first of all a software developer probably thinks like that and i am all for it but it has to be safe. Not just legal, but first and mostly safe.

I hope that Elon proves me wrong and comes with some idea like 'sound activated speed warning signal triggered by GPS positioning system' but until then i am feeling reserved for that one-screen-to-rule-them-all design.

As for the misalignment, first thread photo back door chrome trimming is off by at least 5mm to the chassis chrome trimming. That would never pass the QC of a European factory (at least the respectable ones) let alone the 'bosses' SN1 car. I don't know if it is a design misalignment or a fitting misalignment but either way it screams proto or SN1 at best. If you notice Model S showroom photos you will see that that part is continuous.
I think it's just the angle of the photo. This is the same car, and the misaligment is much less: First video of Tesla Model 3 production unit with glimpse of the interior

In whole of Europe ( i am not sure of US regulations) we pass PVC (periodic vehicle control) on 4th year of the car and then every 2nd year after that. All-time-active speedometer is part of that control. If you cannot see the speed of your vehicle you do not pass it then police takes your license plates etc.etc. I am quite sure that Tesla has covered all the legal grounds for it but at the same time i am thinking that, that screen needs to be quite dim to drive at night and then reading speed on a huge screen will be like playing a video game but IRL. Elon being first of all a software developer probably thinks like that and i am all for it but it has to be safe. Not just legal, but first and mostly safe.
I'm sure the screen can auto-dim based on the input from the light sensor in the rear view mirror housing. Also that you can adjust the amount of dimming from the steering wheel. I really don't think there's any reason to have any concerns about safety.
I hope that Elon proves me wrong and comes with some idea like 'sound activated speed warning signal triggered by GPS positioning system' but until then i am feeling reserved for that one-screen-to-rule-them-all design.
I'm sure many are feeling a bit reserved, but I'm also quite sure that people will be convinced when they try it out. I don't see any reason why it not only will work, but that it also will be quite likable.

Even more curious... a sticker with VIN #7:

Pictures of production Model 3s

xu11ixo-jpg.236558

Status
Not open for further replies.