Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I have to see these in person. Production silver just doesn't look nearly as awesome as the alpha. I'm not sure if it's just the hue that's changed or the larger tires on the alpha or maybe slight changes to the body lines, but the alpha was close to perfection and the silver production is more pedestrian looking.

I'm leaning towards white or maybe midnight silver.

Reactions: kenbefound
Think I have to see these in person. Production silver just doesn't look nearly as awesome as the alpha. I'm not sure if it's just the hue that's changed or the larger tires on the alpha or maybe slight changes to the body lines, but the alpha was close to perfection and the silver production is more pedestrian looking.

I'm leaning towards white or maybe midnight silver.
Alpha silver was a different special one-off color. The silver now is the same silver Tesla has always used. It is a metallic, but it does seem lacking. I think it could be just a tad darker and bit more metal flake in it. Well, I guess that would essentially end up what the alpha had.

This may just be an artifact of viewing complex curves from an angle. If you look at the side shots, it looks OK. Hard to be sure without seeing it in person, though.

The place I still seem to see irregular alignment is the front edge of the hood where it meets the front bumper. Bumper looks a bit too low (or hood edge too high). Also, on the RCs, the upper arms of the trunk lid sometimes didn't match up well with the upper surface of the rear quarter panel and trim. This seems to be mostly OK now.
True, but the car will be viewed from all angles, not just the side. Even though there are complex curves, contours still need to flow properly. Maybe the pictures are distorting this some and makes it look worse than it is. Will have to see one in person to judge.

Is VIN xxx117 still the highest VIN spotted or did anybody see a Model 3 with a higher VIN?

Was the Model 3 in New York last week for the $1.8 billion bond raise a RC? #313

tesla-model-3-new-york-313.png

I agree, fit and finish are greatly improved and I'm sure will continue to improve as build more and more of them. I still think some of their stamping dies are just a bit off. Some contours between panels don't seem to quite flow like they should. Not sure what is steel and what is aluminum as they behave quite differently during the stamping process.

This is the area where I see most noticeable. As you can see the door panel seems to protrude out more than the rear quarter panel and the top contour of the door panel is more concave than the rear panel. Definitely looks like some tooling is off. I have noticed this on almost all cars on either side.

View attachment 242219
Gaps looks pretty good in this video to me. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: 22522 and WarpedOne
Was the Model 3 in New York last week for the $1.8 billion bond raise a RC? #313

View attachment 242304
Decoding that VIN, according to Model 3 VIN Decoder and all of the other VIN decoding research I did just now (starting with Decoding Tesla Model S VINs), going digit by digit, carefully looking at what it really all means, here's my full and detailed conclusion:

It's a Model 3.​

:p

Ok, to explain a little bit more:

It's a Tesla <5YJ>, Model 3 <3>, Four Door Sedan Left Hand Drive <E>, Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR) <1>, Electric <E>, Standard Single Motor <A>, manufactured in 2017 <H> in Fremont <F>, serial # 000313.​

I'd have to say about the only thing we didn't already know for sure besides the particular details of the safety restraints is the Standard Single Motor and the Serial #. :eek: Not much new information to me. What's a "PODS", and what's an "FR, SR*3", and "FR"?

Ooh, another VIN in this vid:
Gaps looks pretty good in this video to me. What are your thoughts?

I just decoded this VIN, and it's a Model 3 as well. :p (It has all the other same codes as the not very informative VIN above.) So, this establishes a pattern: All Model 3 have the VIN 5YJ3E1EA_HF000000, where _ is check digit and 000000 is six digits starting at serial number 1 (left padded with 0's to come up with the six digits) and going up, with maybe some meanings to the numerical ranges involved, as mentioned in a post above mine (by some mystery user named TEG).

Above I saw pictures of some from the factory, and they had VIN 3 there too. I saw another with 101 (not much context).

So far, I've decoded the following serial numbers with otherwise identical VINs (serial # and (check digit)):

1 (checkdigit 8) (regular production)
3 (checkdigit 0) (had regular plates: regular production)
15 (checkdigit 7) (had regular plates: regular production)
26 (checkdigit 1) (had regular vanity plate: regular production)
101 (checkdigit 0)
304 (checkdigit 3) (MFG 63277 plates)
313 (checkdigit 4) (in New York for fundraising: Release Candidate?)

For today, I'd have to say, for all Tesla Model 3's, VIN#s are only their check digit and their last non-0 digits. That's it!

Last edited:
I'm loving all those cars the way they look, and their colors.

You're right, that white is sexier than I imagined.

Any blue?

1 (checkdigit 8) (regular production)
I think I read that VIN wrong from the temp window paper handwriting; I think that's actually:
7 (checkdigit 8) (regular production)
That person has awful handwriting; a regular geek would write numbers much more clearly (because we have to enter them as code for computer programs to work right; anybody enter hex from magazines for Apple assembly language programs in the 1980s?)

Last edited:
Reactions: EVCollies
Status
Not open for further replies.