Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this was posted over at the other forum by trevor P about that guy that took delivery and was going to share all his experiences. I was wrong, the NDA appears to be real.

Folks, the owner has decided not to risk his son's employment at Tesla and will keep quiet until public deliveries begin. At that point he will share information.

Please do not PM him or put pressure on him. It's OK to ask questions in the thread but they're going to pile up so perhaps we need to hold on a bit

this was posted over at the other forum by trevor P about that guy that took delivery and was going to share all his experiences. I was wrong, the NDA appears to be real.

Folks, the owner has decided not to risk his son's employment at Tesla and will keep quiet until public deliveries begin. At that point he will share information.

Please do not PM him or put pressure on him. It's OK to ask questions in the thread but they're going to pile up so perhaps we need to hold on a bit

Well, something's real. If he had signed an NDA he would have known about it from the beginning. It sounds more like policy asking people to keep things private.

Well, something's real. If he had signed an NDA he would have known about it from the beginning. It sounds more like policy asking people to keep things private.

This. I would doubt that anyone's signed an actual NDA, as that would put a pretty big damper on Tesla's claim that these are true production models sold to the public. I think we've just got a case of folks close to the company understanding that Tesla would prefer that things are kept close to the vest for the time being.

While that's frustrating for those of us on the outside, I don't have a rational problem with it. The cars are being built, the ramp is moving forward, the software is being tweaked, etc etc. We'll get our cars when we get our cars.

And it remains excellent news. Why would you want customers to keep quiet about a car which has been a hype for the last 18 months, except to avoid obsourning? But that would mean the real car is even better than we're expecting :) (I can't imagine Chevy or Hyundai, regardless of ramp-up, telling customers to please shut up about how good the Bolt and Ioniq are).

Reactions: Vern Padgett

Basically it's still Tesla pressuring employees not to talk about the car. But instead of having it in writing it's some fluent thing based on fear, uncertaintly and doubt.

Basically it's still Tesla pressuring employees not to talk about the car. But instead of having it in writing it's some fluent thing based on fear, uncertaintly and doubt.

Tesla is massively concerned about losing S/X sales. And they're likely concerned about public airing of problems cropping up in these very early run (almost... pre-production, I'd say) vehicles.

None of that seems unreasonable. The company needs to navigate though some very turbulent waters. And so, whatever helps.

I'm starting to feel it was a bizarre decision to have the launch party in July. That was the month of the impossible deadline, as Elon described it. No one would have faulted them from "launching" the car later. So bizarre to be like, "Hey everyone! Look at our new car! But please don't look too close, and we actually really don't want to talk about it. In fact, just stop looking all together. Could we perhaps interest you in a Model S?"

I don't believe it's to protect S/X sales. If you want bigger, faster, or a "real" dashboard, you have to get an S or an X. So, I don't think it really matters what a few folk's opinion of the 3 is. Plus, only so many people have the income to casually switch to getting a $70K+ car. So, if some folks are waiting for the reviews, and if they don't like what they hear, they will have to go elsewhere if they can't afford an S or X. I just don't think there are a ton of people that would/could consider an S or X who are waiting on reviews to potentially change their mind and get a 3.

Reactions: Zaphod
I'm starting to feel it was a bizarre decision to have the launch party in July. That was the month of the impossible deadline, as Elon described it. No one would have faulted them from "launching" the car later. So bizarre to be like, "Hey everyone! Look at our new car! But please don't look too close, and we actually really don't want to talk about it. In fact, just stop looking all together. Could we perhaps interest you in a Model S?"

Agreed. They could have simply done a blog post to say that production has started, and that initial cars are going to employees and that "true" customer deliveries are targeted for 4th quarter. And they could have given links to the specs that they revealed.

The launch party was for the employees. Recognition of a significant milestone and to help build momentum and prepare for a mountain ahead (production hell). I'm just not sure why they streamed it. Maybe to avoid customer mutiny?

they also invited press and referral winnners. so it was very weird to launch when they were not really ready to launch. we gave us so much hope and hype there will be so much revealed!! instead, we're scrapping for any 5 second clip of the car :)

The launch party was for the employees. Recognition of a significant milestone and to help build momentum and prepare for a mountain ahead (production hell). I'm just not sure why they streamed it. Maybe to avoid customer mutiny?

Your right. There was a video online of a VP giving a pep/congrats talk to employees as well. It was mentioned numerous times prior that it was for employees and an employee delivery event. Q2 conference call was clear about the projected ramp as well. I understand the frustration. We will know a lot more in early October on quarterly deliveries and in early November with Q3 results and conference call.

Last edited:
As the number of employees getting vehicles increases, you are going to see more "leaks" of previously non-disclosed features and issues. Thats just the way it is. Period. Given that commercial deliveries are supposed to start in October, it's probably not a big deal since the cat will be out of the bag then, whatever the cat may be.

I'm inclined to think it has to do with much better charging rates/miles than previously disclosed, or possible a coincident refresh of the S and/or X to keep the 3 from Osbourning the higher priced vehicles.

RT

We don't know if any pressure, implied or otherwise, was applied to keep employees from talking. My take, from following the thread on the other forum, was that the guy was excited to get an early Model 3 by way of his son's employee reservation and he posted several photos of his new car. He was set to post more information this weekend, but then thought it would be prudent to first get permission rather than doing something that may lead to jeopardizing his son's employment. He tweeted Elon directly asking if it's okay to do so. Elon hasn't replied, at least not publicly. Even if he wasn't told by Elon or someone at Tesla not to do so, unless he received explicit permission that it was okay, he may have decided to err on the side of caution and keep quiet for now.

Last edited:
I think Elon and Tesla would have been skewered for missing yet another deadline had they not done the handover event in July, even though it was openly acknowledged as an "impossible" date. They did and continue to emphasize the S-curve in the projected Model 3 Production Timeline to help set realistic expectations, and to quench thermal runaway of 3 fever by offering the Model S ("anti-selling") as an alternative to those who can't wait for the 3. Doesn't look like their efforts in this regard were entirely successful. ;)

Reactions: 3Victoria
Anyone heard anything about roof rack post? We have seen a RC with roof rack but no information on that
No news AFAIK. However, the RC demonstrated that it was physically possible to have a roof rack and that they were testing it. It's just a matter of them deciding to do it and when. The accessories page for the Model 3 is pretty skimpy as of now. I'm hoping and expecting this will change once regular customer deliveries begin.

I think Elon and Tesla would have been skewered for missing yet another deadline had they not done the handover event in July, even though it was openly acknowledged as an "impossible" date.
They could have announced that the handover occurred, thus placating the doubters. My suspicion is the real issue is that for the better part of the year, they'd been teasing more info at an event in July. They still could have had a private party for employees, which would have been a very nice gesture. But if they weren't ready to lay all their cards on the table, they probably would have been better served waiting for a time when they could launch with the full compliment of fanfare that the 3 deserves.

No news AFAIK. However, the RC demonstrated that it was physically possible to have a roof rack and that they were testing it. It's just a matter of them deciding to do it and when. The accessories page for the Model 3 is pretty skimpy as of now. I'm hoping and expecting this will change once regular customer deliveries begin.

I really need it for ski/snowboard :/

Status
Not open for further replies.