Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't get all the angst over f'ing wheel/tire looks. It does interest me in the same way wine critics or beer snobs talk about the best glass shape. Really do not give a hoot but I'm curious how you such people think. Lots of members apparently actually care.

So do you not care what the car looks like then? Wheels are a pretty big part of that. You can certainly say appearance is irrelevant to you, that's fine, and puts you in small minority I would say.

I still have not see a M3 in person, but this picture confirms, at least in my mind, my objection to the 18 inch wheels and tires.
The wheel appears too wide for the tire. I dislike the fact that the tire "balloon-out" to match the wheel width.
I'm wondering ... perhaps the aero covers are not contributing to greater efficiency as thought?
But perhaps it's the 18" wheel that are more narrow (energy savers) than the 19"?

TSportiline is speculating the M3 wheels are 18" x 8" and 19" x 8". The tires we know are 235/45/18 and 235/40/19.

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

So the wheels are speculated to be the same width and the tires are the same width. Take the cover off the 18" and the "ballon effect" disappears. The economy provided by the 18" is less rotating mass and high energy efficienct Michelin Green X tires with a wear rating of 500. The 19" has more rotating mass and less efficient Conti Pro Contacts with a wear rating of 400.

I personally don't get all the angst over f'ing wheel/tire looks. It does interest me in the same way wine critics or beer snobs talk about the best glass shape. Really do not give a hoot but I'm curious how you such people think. Lots of members apparently actually care.

We all have different cares and concerns. I'm sure you have yours about whatever. Some see cars as just transportation, nothing more. Some see them as employment. Some see them as a tool like my track car was. Even as a tool I cared very much about its aesthetic looks. Some see them as personal art. Ever been to a car show? Each to their own. I leave you to yours.

There are easy ways to improve the aero covers, unlike a face.
I don't know - lipstick works pretty good! ;-)

The wheel appears too wide for the tire. I dislike the fact that the tire "balloon-out" to match the wheel width.
I agree that the 18 tires look stretched and the wheel covers make it look worse. But the overall stance (positioning of wheel in fender - the 18s look quite small and tucked far into the fenders, especially in the rear with too much fender gap) could be improved with the 18s especially. Even with the 19s it's just OK. Compare to any BMW or Audi sedan and even Toyota/Nissan/GM is doing pretty good these days.

Not an issue that keeps me from buying one, though and they probably did it to improve aero.

Finally saw my 1st M3 in person this morning in Los Gatos. Midnight grey with 18" aero wheel with covers on, SN 003, it already has a CA license plate put on.

The car looks gorgeous. The 18" aero wheels look great in person. I was kinda on the fence about it before, but will be getting the 18" for sure now. To all who have expressed concerns about the look, I would really recommend seeing it in person before ruling it out.

The panel fitting issue between the driver side rear door and the rear quarter panel is definitely visible. Looking edge on at that spot, the rear door may be slightly bulging out ~1/8" from the level of the rear quarter panel. That's basically the only gripe I can find about the car. Being the 1st batch, this is very encouraging.

I'm even more excited now (if it's even possible) about getting the car by early Q1. I didn't have my phone with me so no pics.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and gene
So do you not care what the car looks like then? Wheels are a pretty big part of that. You can certainly say appearance is irrelevant to you, that's fine, and puts you in small minority I would say.

I disagree that wheels are a big part of that (at least to me). I honestly couldn't tell you what the wheels on any of my past cars looked like. It's not something I ever look at when I'm looking at a car.

Pearl White has a satin finish. I call it a "muted shine."
???
Is the Pearl White multi-coat paint on the Model 3 *different* than the Pearl White multi-coat paint my my Model S? My car definitely does not have a satin finish.

IMG_0002.jpg

Hmmm.. I want a shiny white. I suppose I had better get it wrapped or something.
I flagged down a guy driving a base white (the shiny white) MS in the parking lot today. I commented that Shiny White was no longer available. He said his car was 4 years old (it looked brand new other than the bulbous nose) and said he was happy it was available when he purchased. He also had MGP caliper covers in red with glossy black rims. Outstanding look!!! He said after 4 years he is still madly in love with his car. He said I am going to love my TM3, even if it is Pearl White. ;)

I've said this several times in various forums. You're the first other person I've seen talk about the rims being too wide for the tires. Along with them not looking good that way, the rims are very susceptible to getting scratched/rashed. I suppose the one positive thing is it probably helps handling, as the sidewalls will have less flex since they are already stretched on the wide rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.