Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures & Video from the Model X Unveiling (02/09/2012)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S vs X

Interesting to compare the Model S vs X.

Shorter and taller.

comparexs.png

@Robert.Boston: Fair points all around! My point was just that, in the video, Elon made it sound like gullwings are bad because they swing way out, when the DeLorean proves that's not the case. As a DeLorean guy, I'm probably just being defensive about it, I realize. :p

@Lyon: Exactly right. I was driving at the fact that the DeLorean was a full-production car (6,000 in the first year) and so is the Model X. The SLS is a limited-production supercar -- they'll probably make, what, maybe six hundred a year, if that? -- and as such you'd be lucky to EVER see one on the street.

Anyway, I wonder if you can manually open the falcon doors and manually pull them down to close them, or if they are only motorized?

what happens when there's snow on the X in the winter - as soon as you open the doors it all falls in? Also if the model x flips over in a accident - how do u get your kids out....

I'm sure that these are all things that the engineers have considered, but not really the right thing to be talking about in today's reveal. There are really smart people designing these things, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be like, "damn! Nobody thought about snow!!!"

Let's give them some time to tell the whole story before making judgements.

I don't know what you mean about shorter. They showed a video at the event that showed the battery pack being stretched for the Model X. I'm just estimating but it looks about 30cm longer to me.

Look at the bodywork at the front and rear. Looks like 12" or so chopped off each end. Even if the wheels are slightly further apart, it is still significant. I guess the height could just make it _look_ shorter, but I doubt it.