Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures, videos, and news from the Model S (pre-)event Oct 1, 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great shot of the charging connector (Nigel):

7-IMG-20111001-00121.jpg

(As always, click to enlarge, or open in new window/tab)

Nigel on Twitter (selected,edited):

Model S will come with UMC for 110 & 220. Adapter for Roadster owners.

Model S HVAC has more powerful compressor than Roadster. Should perform better in very high temps.

IPhone app to pre-heat Model S? Should be coming.

Sport option 0-60 in 4.4 seconds

Interchangeable batteries=no more range anxiety? Future possibility.

Unbelievable Tesla factory. The future will be parked in your garage pretty soon.

UMC charger is 40 amps. New HPC is also available. Roadster owners likely to have 2 different chargers. Adaptors to be available though.

Chargeport door opens automatically when charge plug approaches car. Otherwise open from touchscreen in car. J1772 adaptor available.

Last edited:
Nigel on Twitter (selected,edited):

Twin microphones in headliner will make Model S great for handsfree.

Incredible handling. Electric power steering.

GPS uses Google maps so POI's can include chargepoints.

Valet mode and pin security same as Roadster.

Big crowd gathering to hear Elon speak. Reminds of Apple.

Bluetooth & WiFi in car. Not sure how data package will work.

Ride in Model S felt like my Roadster. Amazing for a sedan car.

Elon drives on stage and unloads 7 people plus luggage!

Elon describes Model S touchscreen as like "a giant iPad"

Voice recognition for internet music.

Largest panoramic roof of any car.

m1007-IMG-20111002-00128.jpg

Nigel on Twitter:

Active drive height, can be automatic or adjusted by the driver.

Sounds like Sports version to be avaiable for Signature.

Rapid charging the Model S cars used for the test rides. Only 20 minutes needed for almost 3hrs of rides.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting my images Norbert!

Elon actually drove onstage with eight people in the car. They had an extra guy hidden in the frunk! Also everyone in the car had a knapsack with him, including the guy in the frunk. Nice stunt.

Elon demonstrated using google voice to find music online in the car. The touchscreen is a full web browser. The GPS shows satellite imagery, and it looks amazing in full screen mode - and the route instructions appear on the spedo console display, so you don't have to look over to the big screen. The car controls are pretty cool; for example there's a slider for the pano roof and the roof follows how far you slide it.

Incidentally the touchscreen does not appear to be angled but is rotated slightly towards the driver, which is why it looks tilted in some photos.

And yes, sport version has 0-60 in 4.4s and will be available at launch. Elon actually forgot to mention it during his presentation, so they dragged him back on stage, at which point he joked about doing the "one more thing" bit.

They made the whole place feel like a nightclub - great atmosphere and energy, but not overwhelmingly crowded. Ride lines were not that bad because the ride was super short - I think about 1 or 2 minutes. The music did tend to drown out the voice of the tour guides at times.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2841&d=1317537457.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2842&d=1317537458.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2843&d=1317537458.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 519
I counted at least 21 customer Roadsters parked at the factory. 9 of them charging at HPC's. Quite the sight!
My pics are uploading to Picasa now (mmm, speedy hotel wifi) and the videos will go next. This includes all the pics and videos I posted on Twitter which should end up better quality than what came through via Twitter.