Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures, videos, and news from the Model S (pre-)event Oct 1, 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to thank everyone for all of the effort you have taken already to share you photos, videos and opinions of the event. For those of us unable to it has been fantastic to have all of this to drool over.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone that attended the TM function for sharing their pictures and videos. Not because I'm member of this forum, I must say that the Model S Beta offering is really hot!!! I think it looks better than the Karma and the new UI is very beautiful.

Danger Will Robinson:
dangerwill.jpg

SCORE! And fail at the same time.
I just went to the event again to try to get some more pics and another ride, and do it with my camera and not the iPhone. However, I left the SD card at the hotel room. But, I did get another ride, more videos, and a lot of pics. The event was winding down (I showed up right at closing) so I had pretty easy access. Stay tuned!

To add something I remembered after cinergi's post: the car will maintain temperature when you get out. As time passes it will get less aggressive, but elon says you shouldn't come back to a car that's baking hot or freezing cold

SCORE! And fail at the same time.
I just went to the event again to try to get some more pics and another ride, and do it with my camera and not the iPhone. However, I left the SD card at the hotel room. But, I did get another ride, more videos, and a lot of pics. The event was winding down (I showed up right at closing) so I had pretty easy access. Stay tuned!

New pics are up on my picasa site: Picasa Web Albums - Ben Goodwin - Tesla Model S...

To add something I remembered after cinergi's post: the car will maintain temperature when you get out. As time passes it will get less aggressive, but elon says you shouldn't come back to a car that's baking hot or freezing cold

I was surprised to hear him say that. I'm very interested to see how it works. Seems awesome as long as I don't have to worry about my car draining its battery while I'm inside. I assume this is some threshold where it is less power to keep the car at a certain temp than it is to reheat or cool the car when you get back in.

Very interesting.

Now that I've had two rides and a lot more time to look at the car, I feel like I can comment on it ...

The car slalom's incredibly well. The tires weren't squealing at all, and another employee told me they can slalom the car much faster than they were (and believe me, it was some serious turning).
The car is silent. I couldn't hear any drivetrain noise. Granted, the windows were down and the radio was running in the background but having owned a Roadster, it's noticeably quieter.
While the car doesn't pull the Roadster 3.7/3.9 (in performance mode, fully charged), it PULLS hard, and for a LONG time (it doesn't drop off like the Roadster does). It was REALLY nice.
The interior is very roomy. There are no strange humps anywhere in the floor. It seats three in the back much better than most sedans.
The lighting is sexy. Oh, and speaking of lighting, the HIDs are almost assuredly shuttered for high beams. There's only one lens and I did see him flip the high beams a couple times and it looked shuttered.
The charge port door looks out of place. I hope they're still working on that.
Getting in and out of the back is awkward for some reason - I think it has something to do with getting your legs in and out and the angle with which you have to do it.

I was surprised to hear him say that. I'm very interested to see how it works. Seems awesome as long as I don't have to worry about my car draining its battery while I'm inside. I assume this is some threshold where it is less power to keep the car at a certain temp than it is to reheat or cool the car when you get back in.

Very interesting.

That's right -- I remember hearing this now, too. They're very conscious of cabin temperature control and there's clearly a lot of thought going on in this area with respect to when, how long, how much, remote control, etc.

In fact, I'm now remembering that the car will be able to draw from A/C for HVAC activities and the like (I asked about this).

Keep forgetting to mention a couple things I learned:...My brain hurts from the amount of data I consumed!

It was exhausting. Next time take a segway. Also hard to hunt down the correct threads to put all th infor stuffed in my tiny brain. More tidbits

The Model S has a full sized auto battery in it.

And the BEST NEWS OF THE NIGHT, in 5 years our "dead" Roadster cells will no longer have identical replacements available so we will have to be supplied with the commodity battery of the day. The battery expert said it would not be practical or feasible to make old chemistry. Start your wish list. Same count with a 400 mile range or less with faster acceleration

The Model S will have the lowest cd of any car on the market by far. The engineer said it will blow the best away. (I asked if it was near the EV1 and he said not that good)

And the BEST NEWS OF THE NIGHT, in 5 years our "dead" Roadster cells will no longer have identical replacements available so we will have to be supplied with the commodity battery of the day. The battery expert said it would not be practical or feasible to make old chemistry. Start your wish list. Same count with a 400 mile range or less with faster acceleration

It would definitely be cool to have an aging roadster revitalized with tech advancements

Now that I've had two rides and a lot more time to look at the car, I feel like I can comment on it ...

We also got a second run late in the evening. No radio this time. Still could not hear the drive train at all. Nada.

The morning driver was much more aggressive in the slalom, and we were all sliding across the seats. That was fun! Still, the car made it look easy. That thing might do better at Autocross than the Roadster.

First time I was in the front, no problem getting out. Second time I was in the back, and getting out my foot got caught up on the door. (My feet are literally a foot long with shoes.)