Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

piece of plastic stuck in charger plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally no way I would stick anything 8n there. Call Tesla, not dying for a car... You never know
For #1, that's not how that works. There is no live 240V electricity at those pins all the time. That doesn't happen until it gets a chance to communicate with a car and for the car to signal it to start sending electricity.

But for #2, people obviously shut off the breaker before messing with this anyway just in case. So yes, you do know.

Personally no way I would stick anything 8n there. Call Tesla, not dying for a car... You never know

I am with you. Seems better to call Mobile service and let them handle it.

Given that this has happened before, they may have some sort of internal instructions for how to get the pieces out and adjust the unit so it does not happen again.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
There's really no danger. The plug is absolutely not live when it's not connected to the car...that's what the EVSE is all about. If you also turn off the circuit breaker, then you don't even have to worry about trusting the EVSE.

You can try a small stick with a dot of superglue on it, or a pin or needle that could be pushed into the plastic. Use two so that you can pull up on opposite sides.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
There's really no danger. The plug is absolutely not live when it's not connected to the car...that's what the EVSE is all about. If you also turn off the circuit breaker, then you don't even have to worry about trusting the EVSE.

You can try a small stick with a dot of superglue on it, or a pin or needle that could be pushed into the plastic. Use two so that you can pull up on opposite sides.

I agree I could try that. But I can make a mobile appointment and get someone that has done it before, and brings spare parts in case the unit is beyond repair, in a couple of days, so that would be my preference. But, knock on wood, everything is working find with my HPWC.

There's really no danger. The plug is absolutely not live when it's not connected to the car...that's what the EVSE is all about.
And that's because the HPWC is absolutely 100.0000000% reliable. They never ever fail! The contactor is a special design whose contacts cannot weld. Ever. Ah, were all contactors thus.

If you also turn off the circuit breaker, then you don't even have to worry about trusting the EVSE.
Now that's more like it. Open the disconnect and then check with a NCV tester or voltmeter.

And that's because the HPWC is absolutely 100.0000000% reliable. They never ever fail! The contactor is a special design whose contacts cannot weld. Ever. Ah, were all contactors thus.

While I understand where you are coming from, contact welding is usually the result of activation into a short/ overload. Unless the vehicle charger failed without the car diagnostic noticing, the contactors only activate into a no load condition. Opening would arc, but likely not weld. Additionally, the HPWC is also the GFCI, so should be better than the average switch. Perhaps double contacts per pole...

forgot to update this thread. i ended up having to use a drill to get the damned thing out. piece of plastic broke off. mobile service ordering a new charge port.
The other day I found this problem with a Supercharger. This location is very busy and often all 12 stalls are occupied. I had to leave this stall and grab the otherwise last one. I had tied the cable in a knot to indicate it was broken. Of course someone pulled up with kids who had no clue and untied it. lol

Seems this broken connector thing is not totally uncommon.