Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pins and needles (waiting on real deliveries)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When reading all of these comments I am so glad that I live in Europe, where it will be at least another year before I MIGHT see a Model S on the road around here. That puts a wait time of a few weeks or months in perspective ;-)

I'm rather more anxious to see what differences the Euro-S will have in comparison to the US version. I'm sure there will be quite a few.

I think everyone is looking for finished cars to be rolling off the line - I'm sure that they are manufacturing stock piles of items that are not under engineering review. Stamping for body panels, performance and non performance motors, inverters, etc... To rampup final assembly they will need inventory of all the internally manufactured components - they can't build them all "just in time".

To rampup final assembly they will need inventory of all the internally manufactured components - they can't build them all "just in time".
They can't? That's the goal isn't it? Also a fix to one part may affect other parts. You don't want too much inventory sitting around, especially when there is a chance that a change could render it useless.

I think everyone is looking for finished cars to be rolling off the line - I'm sure that they are manufacturing stock piles of items that are not under engineering review. Stamping for body panels, performance and non performance motors, inverters, etc... To rampup final assembly they will need inventory of all the internally manufactured components - they can't build them all "just in time".

Then say manufacturing will begin on X date, not deliveries.

Really? That's awesome. I have Sig Special 114 and mine still says 'Reserved'. It does say 'last updated June 12th' though so old information. I remember with the Roadster at least their online status wasn't always very accurate since the factory was far away in England. With in being right there, they should know the status of each car I would think. Very exciting.

same here mine has not changed at all in almost a month...I would be surprised if deliveries started this month.

On July 1st, in the Unknowns thread, Spatters0911 had a list of changes and/or additions that they are working on for the Model S. These include motorized folding side mirrors, and proximity sensors for the front of the car. Maybe the pause in production is also allowing them to include these new features in all of the real customer deliveries. I would certainly like both of these features in my car, which is supposed to be delivered in September.

Then say manufacturing will begin on X date, not deliveries.

I agree that they should have done a better job of setting expectations. In hindsight, it makes sense given the very short window between design lock down and "production". If you want to build 80-100 cars/day and it has 1000s of individual components that need to be put together into sub assemblies it will take time to prime the pump...

I'll wait a few weeks if it means more power!
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2012-06-25/tesla-luxury-sedan-elon-musk/55846148/1

"Three weeks ago, he says, he told the powertrain team that he felt the acceleration from 70 mph to 90 mph was inadequate. When they protested that it couldn't be improved, Musk amped up the gentle persuasion: "Imagine," he told them, that "there was a gun to your head" and the trigger was about to be pulled. "Would you find a way to make it better?" Musk got what he wanted: Acceleration in that speed band was improved 20%."

I assume the "three weeks ago" from the date of the article was after he got his car and found that issue. Hopefully the changes will make it to production which could explain part of the delay.

I don't have Rose Colored Glasses on and I'm not on drugs. TM better get the Model S correct with car #1 or Consumer Reports will be putting the nails in the coffin. If the Model S has anywhere near the number of problems the Roadster has had - it could be all over. There is only a limited supply of "early adapters" that will tolerate all the glitches the Roadster owners have endured. The mass market will turn its back on TM if the unbaised (not "paid for" with advertising dollars) reviews are negative. CR won't be cutting TM any slack just because it is new or all-electric, the Model S will be compared to the Mercedes S and BMW 7 - tough competition.

I wish TM the best - it is going to need it.

TM better get the Model S correct with car #1 or Consumer Reports will be putting the nails in the coffin. If the Model S has anywhere near the number of problems the Roadster has had - it could be all over. [...] The mass market will turn its back on TM if the unbaised (not "paid for" with advertising dollars) reviews are negative. CR won't be cutting TM any slack just because it is new or all-electric, the Model S will be compared to the Mercedes S and BMW 7 - tough competition.

I wish TM the best - it is going to need it.

Sorry but IMHO you are waaay off. Picture the Fisker Karma rollout if you want disaster. And what happened? They are still in business. Model S is Tesla's 2nd car. They did their initial roll out and learned from it, otherwise they deserve everything hurled in their direction.
Model S is not in the mass market. It is not positioned against S class or BMW 7, but one class below. That should be pointed out to anyone doing that comparison.

Sorry but IMHO you are waaay off. Picture the Fisker Karma rollout if you want disaster. And what happened? They are still in business. Model S is Tesla's 2nd car. They did their initial roll out and learned from it, otherwise they deserve everything hurled in their direction.
Model S is not in the mass market. It is not positioned against S class or BMW 7, but one class below. That should be pointed out to anyone doing that comparison.

Tesla has a bigger bullseye on its back than Fisker. It doesn't help that the first Model S' will be delivered to normal customers right before the US presidential elections. If anything goes wrong, Tesla will get hammered by the far right.

Not much there except speculation and rumor about a blue Model S being taken out of the LA event due to a flaw of some kind, possibly related to supercharging.
And a trolling comment to attempt to get TM to respond to an accusation.

Yeah, not sure how that thread relates to this one? I did see a thread or two asking about cars since the rollout, but this doesn't seem to be one of them. Also, not sure threatening Tesla with more conspiracy theories is the best way to get a response.