Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a Fastrak transponder in the Model X frunk: will it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My transponder is in the center console, next to the phone charger. And it works perfectly there.

IMG_3550.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 80
So far my transponder mounted in the frunk in the small cavity just behind the nose has worked successfully on the San Mateo Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge. Note that this is a Fastrak transponder designed to be used externally mounted on the license plate frame. But I see no reason why a typical transponder intended to be mounted on the inside of the windshield would not work in this frunk location.

The only issue with using the plate transponder is it's not one of the flex transponders so if you use any of the express lanes/ramps then you'll get charged and will have to call and have the charge removed each and every time. I'm curious to see if anyone has mounted one of the flex transponders in the same manner and if so, did it work/register?

Jeff

Not true on the pay to play HOV areas - I use 237 every day and I don't have a transponder in the car. I have registered my license plate with fastrak and the only charges I get on my account are when I cross the bridges.
Well I do get charged and I have to dispute it with them. I got tired of having to contact them so I put up the transponder on the glass with a suction cup holder so I could remove it.

from what I am aware of. you dont even need the fastrak transponder in the car. just make sure the license plate is on your account and it will automatically charge it.

I've been doing this for 10+ years as we have 4 cars on one account.

I've been doing the same thing. If no transponder is detected, the camera reads your plate and if there is a match with your account the bridge toll is automatically deducted, just as it would be with the transponder.

Are you sure about that? I believe it's just a month though preload. Every dollar goes towards tolls and it just auto replenishes. At least that's how mine works. I have two devices one in each car and they sent me the second one for free.

I don't drive the the Toll Road much, so I pay $2.00/mo. per transponder.

A $2 account maintenance fee is charged to each transponder that does not incur $25 in tolls on The Toll Roads that month. This policy is based on a combined average; so, if a driver has two transponders with a monthly total of $50 in tolls on The Toll Roads, even if one transponder has no usage and the second has all $50, the $2 fee is waived for both.

FasTrak FAQs | The Toll Roads

Amazing. You are the first person on TMC -- that I am aware of -- who has said that their transponder works in that location in the car. Interesting.

My transponder is in the center console, next to the phone charger. And it works perfectly there.

View attachment 240683

I keep my transponder in the glove box of my ICE and it beeps 90% of the time.

So far my transponder mounted in the frunk in the small cavity just behind the nose has worked successfully on the San Mateo Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge. Note that this is a Fastrak transponder designed to be used externally mounted on the license plate frame. But I see no reason why a typical transponder intended to be mounted on the inside of the windshield would not work in this frunk location.

View attachment 240584
Sounds excellent.... I'll try the same with my Virginia internal transponder when the car shows up. As you say, if the only thing between the transponder and the outside/triggering antenna is plastic, it should work fine. And having it off the back corner of the X's upper glass (recommended spot) leaves it free for the sunshade if I wanted to use those. :D

Thanks, that is encouraging. I am going to try placing my transponder in the front cavity in the frunk just behind the center upper bumper area.

I just put my EZ Pass / IPass in the front bumper cavity of my X. I'm going on a 600 mile road trip across Chicago Skyway , Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike. I'll report back on what success I have on having the License Plate Transponder mounted on the inside cavity of the front bumper with 3M Outdoor Double Sided Tape.

I've had the 3 position switch type transponder (tag they now call it), for 4 weeks. I place on the dash of MX when going Xpress lanes (HWY 680 SF bay area).

First 2 weeks, I heard 3 beeps when passing under the sensors. Last two weeks I hear nothing, though I'm not being charge any $.

I chatted with Fastrak person, she said windshields of some cars don't detect due to metal film. She said Teslas are such a car. But it does not make sense to me, because I was hearing beeps 100% for 2 weeks. I will hold it out the window and try to listen :eek: