Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a reservation on hold and rejecting a VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on an international travel and will return only after 4 weeks. VIN got assigned 2 days ago and I was asked to take delivery by June 1st. After discussing with the local SC, I ended up placing the reservation on a 2 weeks hold.

If I end up rejecting the next VIN due to quality control issues during inspection, will Tesla cancel my order or will I get to physically inspect 2 VINs before they cancel my order?

I think you can only reject 1 each. You've already rejected 1 VIN, and you can reject the next vehicle during inspection. Then no more rejections allowed after that. Double check with your SA though.

I had no idea about this. When we take delivery, we can reject the car and they'll bring a new one?
No, they wont bring a new one at that delivery appointment (in general... not saying it has never happened, but it is not the way they do it). You will go back and the queue and then get assigned another vin, and have another appointment.

You can reject once without penalty. You will get a new VIN within a week or two. You don't go back of line.
If you reject a 2nd time you will lose the $250 and have to place a new order (new RN#) that will go back of line.
This is what I did on Saturday. It's on hold now until June 10th (which we were both surprised the hold went that long), then it rejoins the queue not at the end, but no idea where in the middle either. The SA there said it's 1-2 weeks usually for a new VIN.

This is what I did on Saturday. It's on hold now until June 10th (which we were both surprised the hold went that long), then it rejoins the queue not at the end, but no idea where in the middle either. The SA there said it's 1-2 weeks usually for a new VIN.
@In4lo , so when you put your order on "hold", that effectively releases your VIN to be purchased by someone else, correct? The hold date of June 10th's is what's throwing me off. I.e. - did they release your VIN on Saturday or will they release it on June 10th?

Secondly, on June 10th, does the clock then start re-ticking with regards to you getting a new VIN assigned? i.e. - you will probably get a new VIN within 1-2 weeks from June 10th and then another week or so to take delivery?

@In4lo , so when you put your order on "hold", that effectively releases your VIN to be purchased by someone else, correct? The hold date of June 10th's is what's throwing me off. I.e. - did they release your VIN on Saturday or will they release it on June 10th?

Secondly, on June 10th, does the clock then start re-ticking with regards to you getting a new VIN assigned? i.e. - you will probably get a new VIN within 1-2 weeks from June 10th and then another week or so to take delivery?
Correct, the car that I had the VIN for was released into their local inventory (and sold a day or so later). They won't put me back in line for another car until June 10th.

Yep. That's what i was told.

@In4lo , favor.... can you go into the app and tell me if your "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" document still shows your original VIN? I'm on hold, but those docs are still out there with the same VIN.

Also, if you wanted to change something (I'm thinking going Performance vs LR). Did the SAs tell you how to do that and if there's a penalty fee? It doesn't show me options to change anywhere on the app. Of course, I would pay extra $4k for MYP. Didn't know if there's a "change fee".

Correct, the car that I had the VIN for was released into their local inventory (and sold a day or so later). They won't put me back in line for another car until June 10th.

Yep. That's what i was told.
I did the same and have the same expectations. The hold lasts 14 days. After that, they will attempt to fill the order again. That could be same day if there is a local car that matches your order available or could mean a new build from the factory. There is only 1 hold allowed for a maximum of 14 days and if you don't take delivery after 2 VINs are allocated, they cancel your order and you lose the $250 order fee. You can then reorder if you like at the then current price.

@In4lo , favor.... can you go into the app and tell me if your "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" document still shows your original VIN? I'm on hold, but those docs are still out there with the same VIN.

Also, if you wanted to change something (I'm thinking going Performance vs LR). Did the SAs tell you how to do that and if there's a penalty fee? It doesn't show me options to change anywhere on the app. Of course, I would pay extra $4k for MYP. Didn't know if there's a "change fee".
When I go into the app that part is no longer there. It only sends me to the website, which also no longer has the purchase agreement. I also never signed it ahead of time for whatever thats worth.

When I go into the app that part is no longer there. It only sends me to the website, which also no longer has the purchase agreement. I also never signed it ahead of time for whatever thats worth.
@In4lo , @boones interesting... some of my docs are still there in the website. The Delivery Configuration doc still shows my VIN. You don't have the same screen? See pic below.

1685956179541.png

The duration of the hold was a fixed number of days? You don’t get to decide when to release the hold?

I clicked on them and yea, old VIN is there. I wouldn’t worry as they’d have to be updated when the process a new VIN.
It doesn’t seem like I have the option to change my desired config while on hold. True for you as well? It’s unclear what the purpose of this hold is…I just want a new VIN. I guess I need to wait for someone else to buy my old VIN or change my config to guarantee I’m not re-assigned the rejected VIN? Confusing.

It doesn’t seem like I have the option to change my desired config while on hold. True for you as well? It’s unclear what the purpose of this hold is…I just want a new VIN. I guess I need to wait for someone else to buy my old VIN or change my config to guarantee I’m not re-assigned the rejected VIN? Confusing.
I checked and the only way to do that would be through the SA/text messaging. I.e. - you need to tell them via text what your intentions are. Be VERY CLEAR in your text since it's the system of record. Not the most efficient way, I know, but it is what it is. Even when you talk to the SA's live (after a VERY long wait of 20 min or so), the lines are recorded for both parties' benefit.

Reactions: Brown1428
I checked and the only way to do that would be through the SA/text messaging. I.e. - you need to tell them via text what your intentions are. Be VERY CLEAR in your text since it's the system of record. Not the most efficient way, I know, but it is what it is. Even when you talk to the SA's live (after a VERY long wait of 20 min or so), the lines are recorded for both parties' benefit.
I have put my Tesla Model Y on hold as well and the same VIN is still assigned to my Delivery Configuration.
How can I know when I remove the hold I will get a new VIN assigned?