Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the biggest regret I have on my Model 3 Performance: going cheap and installing Falkens instead of PS4s. It was definitely a downgrade on noise and handling. I guess you do get what you paid for. I won’t make that mistake on my Plaid.
You are absolutely right falkens are loud and howl on certain road surfaces. Drives me crazy at times. Will try to return em to discount tire for store credit if possible. The PS4 rear tires were on back order till October that's why got these.
Never again. My 19s set will be here tomorrow.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I took this photo with the tire off. What do we think could be rubbing here besides the tire?

View attachment 840178

Here is my very rudimentary representation of what could be happening:

View attachment 840179

The powdercoating on the shock would most likely have rubbed away

Looks like the tire just "bumped" that surface when it rotated taking it off. If it were truly rubbing in application, the powder coating would be much worse or non-existent.

I don't remember all the details but I did see/read something in the past about how the rear active dampener connectors/lines could have been installed/fastened incorrectly from the factory which allows the rear tire to rub the lines and cause damage. I previously used a cell phone camera/light to snap a pic without removing the wheel so I could get a good look at this area to make sure I don't see any tire wear marks on the lines. I did notice that my driver side lines/connector was installed slightly different than the passenger side so there is less clearance from the tire on my driver side. Luckily mine doesn't seem to rub so I didn't take it in to complain. My 2021 Plaid with 21 inch wheels/tires are wearing just fine at ~7600 miles but I will keep an eye on them.
View attachment 839832
Those lines are far, far softer than the tire and would not be able to cause the types of tire failures we are seeing in the photographs here.

Add me to the list of Plaid 21" rear tire failures. The thing that especially concerns me is mine failed within 5 miles of having my car in for service and a 4 wheel alignment performed. How can a tech do an alignment and not see this failure that clearly must have been about to rupture. The alignment showed my rear specs were fine before adjustment. The reasons I had it in for alignment is because from the factory the car wandered and couldn't hold a line. They found the front left wheel caster was off quite a bit.
IMG_3097.jpeg

Add me to the list of Plaid 21" rear tire failures. The thing that especially concerns me is mine failed within 5 miles of having my car in for service and a 4 wheel alignment performed. How can a tech do an alignment and not see this failure that clearly must have been about to rupture. The alignment showed my rear specs were fine before adjustment. The reasons I had it in for alignment is because from the factory the car wandered and couldn't hold a line. They found the front left wheel caster was off quite a bit.View attachment 842713

What psi do you keep your tires at?
How low do you let it get before you fill them up again?