Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want racing recently in my s plaid for the first time, speed ventures, AAA raceway fontana ca. After first lap brakes started to fade and got worse as they heated up, these brakes SUCK, anybody with same issue and anybody who have improved there brakes?
Thanks
Peter
9FB391D2-DBCC-48BB-8188-C2DFC57A1036.png

I want racing recently in my s plaid for the first time, speed ventures, AAA raceway fontana ca. After first lap brakes started to fade and got worse as they heated up, these brakes SUCK, anybody with same issue and anybody who have improved there brakes?
Thanks
PeterView attachment 718305
It needs track mode.
your driving a car right now not made for the track.
I couldn’t nor wouldn’t drive my performance model 3 on the track in normal mode. its torture on the brakes.
give Tesla time track mode is coming.

Upvote 0
Is it torture on the brakes because of the (currently) undefeatable traction control using brakes, or some other reason?
The stability control is using the brakes to keep you on the track, but another reason you might want track mode is the increased regen which will take some load off the brakes. That means more motor and battery heat though! During our last track test, the factory stability control was clamping the brakes when there was the slightest bit of wheel spin. I also like your "currently" comment there... ;)

Upvote 0
Looks fun. Perhaps you need some driving lessons to work on your lines.
Next time you make a idiotic comment to a veteran racer I would first understand what you’re talking about.
I raced MX as a kid to about 20 years old, hold a ama card and even raced the Dayton 200. The lines being driven in this video are to minimize the actions of the stability control. You would know this if you had anytime on a track.
After one track day the break pads were gone.

Upvote 0
Maybe its a mix of stability control and traction control overloading the brakes, but common guys the brakes themselves are way way too small for a car this heavy and this powerful. A simple track mode will help a bit with braking but it still won't make the plaid a track car, that's what the upcoming track package will be for.

• Disagree
Reactions: Duke846
Upvote 0
Maybe its a mix of stability control and traction control overloading the brakes, but common guys the brakes themselves are way way too small for a car this heavy and this powerful. A simple track mode will help a bit with braking but it still won't make the plaid a track car, that's what the upcoming track package will be for.
*cough…*

Go to 21:11 for the spoiler…

Upvote 0
brakes Are fine. aftermarket brakes are using a different pads. ( yes trackmode with stock brakes would make the Plaid a track car for 20 minutes)
hi temp brake fluid is a must also.
how many track days do you have with your Tesla?
I have done 20 plus days with my pd3, without trackmode you cannot rotate the car. I am certain the Plaid is worse.
I would never track a Tesla without trackmode I guarantee you’re buying pads and possibly rotors in one day.

Upvote 0
What upcoming track package? Tesla have already said they won't be selling one, it's up to the aftermarket to come up with options.

We often get comments here such as "Why aren't the brakes better on the M3P/Plaid?". The reason is that the vast majority of owners don't need them because they never go on track or push their cars hard enough on the road. Those of us that do can research the options and spend a bit of extra money on their cars to get the brake setup they want.

It's no different to when the M3P first came out. At that point it was not really suitable for track driving. Once we had aftermarket options for brakes & suspension and Tesla released V2 Track Mode, it transformed the car.

Upvote 0
Next time you make a idiotic comment to a veteran racer I would first understand what you’re talking about.
I raced MX as a kid to about 20 years old, hold a ama card and even raced the Dayton 200. The lines being driven in this video are to minimize the actions of the stability control. You would know this if you had anytime on a track.
After one track day the break pads were gone.
Get a clue. Your lines sucked. It’s easy to see.

Upvote 0
*cough…*

Go to 21:11 for the spoiler…
Well for a car with almost double the HP and instant EV torque it will definitely make up for the weak braking in the straights of the track for sure. So many reviews on the Plaid show that the brakes needs to applied way earlier than other cars bc of the high speeds it gets up to and the fact that the brakes get cooked after a few heavy stops. Bigger better brakes are needed to fix that.
brakes Are fine. aftermarket brakes are using a different pads. ( yes trackmode with stock brakes would make the Plaid a track car for 20 minutes)
hi temp brake fluid is a must also.
how many track days do you have with your Tesla?
I have done 20 plus days with my pd3, without trackmode you cannot rotate the car. I am certain the Plaid is worse.
I would never track a Tesla without trackmode I guarantee you’re buying pads and possibly rotors in one day.

I don't track my S bc its not a perf and I get brake fade after one or two high speed stops, but keep in mind I own a pre-refresh with the old front brakes. I have tracked my RS7 with stock CCBs no problem, heck even beat on them and I had 0 brake fade. There's a reason why the Plaid that set the EV track record at the Nurburgring had CCBs and not the stock brakes.

What upcoming track package? Tesla have already said they won't be selling one, it's up to the aftermarket to come up with options.

We often get comments here such as "Why aren't the brakes better on the M3P/Plaid?". The reason is that the vast majority of owners don't need them because they never go on track or push their cars hard enough on the road. Those of us that do can research the options and spend a bit of extra money on their cars to get the brake setup they want.

It's no different to when the M3P first came out. At that point it was not really suitable for track driving. Once we had aftermarket options for brakes & suspension and Tesla released V2 Track Mode, it transformed the car.

Don't know if its still on the Tesla parts catalogue but Tesla had listed a 20" tire size with 305 section width tires for the refreshed S which would point to a possible track package. Plus why would they run CCBs on the Nurburgring lap record then? According to Out of Spec reviews the brakes aren't even suitable for spirited mountain driving.

Didn't the M3P come out with a sort of track package too (don't remember the exact name) that had different brake pads, brake fluid, and lighter wheels?

I am not arguing the Plaid needs better brakes for day to day use but if they are going to release a track mode for it, I don't think the current brakes would hold up after a few corners.

Upvote 0
Well for a car with almost double the HP and instant EV torque it will definitely make up for the weak braking in the straights of the track for sure. So many reviews on the Plaid show that the brakes needs to applied way earlier than other cars bc of the high speeds it gets up to and the fact that the brakes get cooked after a few heavy stops. Bigger better brakes are needed to fix that.

I don't track my S bc its not a perf and I get brake fade after one or two high speed stops, but keep in mind I own a pre-refresh with the old front brakes. I have tracked my RS7 with stock CCBs no problem, heck even beat on them and I had 0 brake fade. There's a reason why the Plaid that set the EV track record at the Nurburgring had CCBs and not the stock brakes.

Don't know if its still on the Tesla parts catalogue but Tesla had listed a 20" tire size with 305 section width tires for the refreshed S which would point to a possible track package. Plus why would they run CCBs on the Nurburgring lap record then? According to Out of Spec reviews the brakes aren't even suitable for spirited mountain driving.

Didn't the M3P come out with a sort of track package too (don't remember the exact name) that had different brake pads, brake fluid, and lighter wheels?

I am not arguing the Plaid needs better brakes for day to day use but if they are going to release a track mode for it, I don't think the current brakes would hold up after a few corners.
They didn't run CCBs for the recent lap record. The car used the stock brakes and the driver had to lift a lot to take the pressure off them.

Upvote 0