Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake upgrade email?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I’m in the minority but i feel the 21-22 steel brakes are perfectly adequate for operating the plaid legally on public roads. If you’re getting into trouble with stopping I’d wager your in the realm of what some officers may consider reckless driving.
I agree that for regular driving, they do the job, but if a car company touts a car to be as fast as the Plaid is, you expect the car to be able to handle that speed. The old brakes clearly don't. IIRC, the Plaid is one of the few, if not the only, high performance vehicles that takes longer to stop from 60mph than it takes to get there.

But... they're not an upgrade, so I'm not sure what you mean. Only the Track Pack brakes are an actual upgrade, or - the higher thermal capability brake pads. But these red calipers, as far as everything I've seen, are the exact same in terms of functionality.

Never said they're an upgrade.

Regardless, not everything is based on pocket protector mentality. Looks matter to some and nothing wrong with personal preference. Do you.

Last edited:
Perhaps I’m in the minority but i feel the 21-22 steel brakes are perfectly adequate for operating the plaid legally on public roads. If you’re getting into trouble with stopping I’d wager your in the realm of what some officers may consider reckless driving.
If you were worried about following all laws religiously, you should have bought a 95 hp hyundai and not a 1000 hp sports car.

Has anyone priced out the red calipers and pads from service? Might be cheaper to swap them out yourselves or at an independent shop.
I don’t think you can. When calling into local service, they don't know the pricing, or at least they say they don't. And it's not on their website either; only through the service menu in the app. And it seems like their brake upgrades all include installation.

I don’t think you can. When calling into local service, they don't know the pricing, or at least they say they don't. And it's not on their website either; only through the service menu in the app. And it seems like their brake upgrades all include installation.
I went through the EPC and they're listed as over the counter:
BRAKE CALIPER FL M4.42/44 IRON RED - 1420623-00-B
BRAKE CALIPER FR M4.42/44 IRON RED - 1420624-00-B
BRAKE CALIPER RL MOC 43 IRON RED - 1420643-00-A
BRAKE CALIPER RR MOC 43 IRON RED - 1420644-00-A

...if you want red. The calipers are the same as the black ones but rears have a large faux cover.

Reactions: Howie Dub

...if you want red. The calipers are the same as the black ones but rears have a large faux cover.
Hey NarTax, if I want to order Tesla OEM parts, is it always through Tesla online or this EPC source?

For example, someone wants to simply paint their front black calipers and order the rear caliper cover to save some dough. How would they go about procuring Tesla parts (and hopefully at a discounted price)?

Sorry if off topic, folks! Just curious.

I stand corrected. I wonder why service doesn’t know anything about these? When I called, they didn’t know about them.

If you were worried about following all laws religiously, you should have bought a 95 hp hyundai and not a 1000 hp sports car.
Very poor comment. Model S isn’t a sports car. It’s a near 5k lb sedan. Stock steel brakes are adequate for reasonable driving on public roads, including short full throttle blasts. I’m fairly those that find them inadequate are doing triple digit runs with multiple full on braking events even to the point of overheating.

If you want brakes to stand up to repeated high speed /force braking buy the ccbs track pack.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Sam1

I'm still completely amazed and yet... not at all surprised that Tesla is selling a paint color upgrade for $2700, for calipers. Hahahaha.

Very poor comment. Model S isn’t a sports car. It’s a near 5k lb sedan. Stock steel brakes are adequate for reasonable driving on public roads, including short full throttle blasts. I’m fairly those that find them inadequate are doing triple digit runs with multiple full on braking events even to the point of overheating.

If you want brakes to stand up to repeated high speed /force braking buy the ccbs track pack.

I bet you're a ton of fun at parties!

• Funny
Reactions: MrSlowEv

The Plaid was touted as being able to do repeated high speed runs without the motors needing to cool down that the previous MS Performance needed; wouldn’t it stand to reason that the brakes should be able to stand up to these repeated high speed runs as well? What’s the point of having a motor that can handle repeated high speed runs if the brakes can’t handle it?

Reactions: Sam1
I bet you're a ton of fun at parties!

Yo I don’t know if it’s a Tesla thing or a plaid thing or what, but there are some really weird posters in this forum. Maybe it’s a beta Tesla AI bot trying to improve the TSC messaging experience about as effective as FSD which is a very low bar.

Like what fast car driving human doesn’t want amazing factory brakes?

Oooo wheee ooooh.

Last edited:

Calipers are $440 each according to my service center.