Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake upgrade email?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else get this email? I don’t think it’s referring to the track package, but I can’t figure out how much it costs. I can’t imagine this is a free upgrade, but maybe it is?
IMG_0532.png

Reactions: Alex Philips
They just told me a new option will be rolling out for this kit, $2700 plus tax LOL.

Same brakes but red pretty much and we all paid way more. Elon ducked us again
It looks like this is just to bring the earlier cars up to the spec of the current version of the brakes with high-thermal capability pads and different caliper covers. It's not a carbon ceramic brake kit which is all new ceramic rotors, calipers, pads, etc, which is understandably a lot more expensive. I do wish they would do a middle-ground kit with slotted or cross-drilled rotors, but I will probably upgrade my '21 to the newer pads.

It looks like this is just to bring the earlier cars up to the spec of the current version of the brakes with high-thermal capability pads and different caliper covers. It's not a carbon ceramic brake kit which is all new ceramic rotors, calipers, pads, etc, which is understandably a lot more expensive. I do wish they would do a middle-ground kit with slotted or cross-drilled rotors, but I will probably upgrade my '21 to the newer pads.
Is it really worth that cost? From what I saw, the “new” red brakes and calipers aren’t fundamentally different?

In 2023 they announced new factory default brakes on the Plaid that consisted of red calipers and supposedly upgraded pads. This is now the standard brakes offered on the Plaid if you were to order one today. This e-mail seems to offer this now standard brake setup to those of us who purchased a Plaid before 2023. Those cars came with black calipers and presumably a lesser quality pad. Definitely not worth $2700 if that's what they are charging and unlocks nothing performance-wise in the car.

Is it really worth that cost? From what I saw, the “new” red brakes and calipers aren’t fundamentally different?
I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard that the pad upgrade alone is $750, and pads plus calipers kit is $2700. Time will tell. If Tesla is aware of any problems with the pads, they should replace them for free, but since this is offered as an upgrade kit and not a recall, that seems unlikely. And yes, I believe that's true that the calipers are basically the same with a red cover for appearance and to make them look larger than they actually are, which is lame.