Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my center console replaced for a different reason and the lower chamber lights did not work after the change. My car was built 6/3/2021 and the lights worked as intended prior to the center console replacement. After reading this thread I decided to record the inside using my iPhone. Sure enough the light pipes are lit when it is closed.

I had an appointment at my SC Monday to look at the problem but I just texted the fix to the tech working on my car. Hopefully they can solve it easily now. I'll post the results here when it is fixed.

I had my center console replaced for a different reason and the lower chamber lights did not work after the change. My car was built 6/3/2021 and the lights worked as intended prior to the center console replacement. After reading this thread I decided to record the inside using my iPhone. Sure enough the light pipes are lit when it is closed.

I had an appointment at my SC Monday to look at the problem but I just texted the fix to the tech working on my car. Hopefully they can solve it easily now. I'll post the results here when it is fixed.
Seems like they have to find a stock of the old switches that are right. I wonder when they started messing up? Some time after June, it seems.

Reactions: Bull
So I had one of the early LRs. Early July delivery. Didn’t have this problem originally. Just got my console replaced for another reason - now the light is on when closed and shuts off when the top lid is opened all the way. Tech checked another Plaid just off the truck, and it had the same problem. Frustrating. So apparently even though mine worked at first, it is now “in spec”. lol. Sigh.

They did mention something about a “bulletin” related to a “wake up wire”.. not sure what it’s related to exactly.

So I had one of the early LRs. Early July delivery. Didn’t have this problem originally. Just got my console replaced for another reason - now the light is on when closed and shuts off when the top lid is opened all the way. Tech checked another Plaid just off the truck, and it had the same problem. Frustrating. So apparently even though mine worked at first, it is now “in spec”. lol. Sigh.

They did mention something about a “bulletin” related to a “wake up wire”.. not sure what it’s related to exactly.
That's a different recall. Related to brakes. Maybe an extra ground connection. I just had it done on mine.

That's a different recall. Related to brakes. Maybe an extra ground connection. I just had it done on mine.

Well darn. So then there really still is no fix for this. Not a huge deal but annoying. This is my third console. First wood was cracked. Second drawers wouldn’t open. Now the light… maybe I should just give up lol.

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja
Well darn. So then there really still is no fix for this. Not a huge deal but annoying. This is my third console. First wood was cracked. Second drawers wouldn’t open. Now the light… maybe I should just give up lol.
Well, some people were able to get it fixed, but I suspect it worked because their SC had some of the old switches around that work correctly. I'll find out about mine today.

Reactions: mcirish
A tech worked on mine for a few hours today and he couldn't fix the console light. ☹️
Wish Tesla would SHARE/COMMUNICATE with their own employees more.

Just had ours repaired at the Fort Worth Service Center yesterday; no part number, just adjusted the switch location or position, IIRC.

Along with some other repairs (like hanging the right, rear door correctly), it was there for half a day.

Great service from Tesla; very pleased that things are sort of on track these days, although it took weeks to get an appointment slot as this was a EOM January delivery MS.

Reactions: jm404
Wish Tesla would SHARE/COMMUNICATE with their own employees more.

Just had ours repaired at the Fort Worth Service Center yesterday; no part number, just adjusted the switch location or position, IIRC.

Along with some other repairs (like hanging the right, rear door correctly), it was there for half a day.

Great service from Tesla; very pleased that things are sort of on track these days, although it took weeks to get an appointment slot as this was a EOM January delivery MS.
Did they get the light to work?

Did they get the light to work?
See above, where I wrote:

"Just had ours repaired at the Fort Worth Service Center yesterday; no part number, just adjusted the switch location or position, IIRC."

The "had ours repaired . . ." part would suggest that it operates as desired/expected, no?

Light "on" when the lid is open, mid-open, and light "off" when closed (will confirm that last part with my cell phone camera I guess).

See above, where I wrote:

"Just had ours repaired at the Fort Worth Service Center yesterday; no part number, just adjusted the switch location or position, IIRC."

The "had ours repaired . . ." part would suggest that it operates as desired/expected, no?

Light "on" when the lid is open, mid-open, and light "off" when closed (will confirm that last part with my cell phone camera I guess).
Well, they "repaired" mine but it still doesn't work. 😅 Any more info on what they did? And what is your build date?

Welp, they looked at it today… and pronounced it was normal. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

After agreeing it was weird, they checked another car on the lot, and when it acted the same, they decided it was just how it’s supposed to be. Never mind that I referred them to this thread and identified this problem as one that affects many cars built over a certain period. By that logic, I guess huge panel gaps and terrible weather stripping must be normal…

Which is exactly the response I got to the other issue I brought it in for. Apparently weather stripping that looks like this is normal too. On a $130K car.
Suggestions:

1. Try a different Service Center. I showed similar defects to an advisor at the Dallas Service Center—he blew me off. Wrote it up for the Fort Wortth SC and they fixed it without complaint.

2. Send these photographs to the Fremont Assembly Plant Manager—ask them what they think of this assembly quality, and to find the team member that is not installing this trim correctly, and the inspector that is missing these defects. With your VIN it shouldn’t be too diffficult to find them. They need additional training, obviously. Ask the MANAGER IF HE/she thinks it’s satisfactory, and take that reply (a “No” I hope) to your local Service Center.

3. If that doesn’t work, send the pics to Elon.

Reactions: sandman1330
Suggestions:

1. Try a different Service Center. I showed similar defects to an advisor at the Dallas Service Center—he blew me off. Wrote it up for the Fort Wortth SC and they fixed it without complaint.

2. Send these photographs to the Fremont Assembly Plant Manager—ask them what they think of this assembly quality, and to find the team member that is not installing this trim correctly, and the inspector that is missing these defects. With your VIN it shouldn’t be too diffficult to find them. They need additional training, obviously. Ask the MANAGER IF HE/she thinks it’s satisfactory, and take that reply (a “No” I hope) to your local Service Center.

3. If that doesn’t work, send the pics to Elon.
How do we find contact info for the Fremont Assembly Plant Manager?

Reactions: Blue Stuff
Called my local SC about this again, they just say “there is no updated part yet.” They also seem to think this is the way it’s supposed to work. Verbatim: “Well, when it’s open all the way more outside light can get in so it turns off. When it’s half closed it’s dark in there so it turns on.”

Seriously.

Really wish this was something I could fix myself as every time I go to the SC it’s an exercise in frustration.

Called my local SC about this again, they just say “there is no updated part yet.” They also seem to think this is the way it’s supposed to work. Verbatim: “Well, when it’s open all the way more outside light can get in so it turns off. When it’s half closed it’s dark in there so it turns on.”

Seriously.

Really wish this was something I could fix myself as every time I go to the SC it’s an exercise in frustration.
Perhaps you’ll have to explain orbital dynamics to them since they don’t appear to understand that the sun is only exposing its light energy about half of the day—the other half is called “night.”

Good luck!

Verbatim: “Well, when it’s open all the way more outside light can get in so it turns off. When it’s half closed it’s dark in there so it turns on.”
I cannot really blame them for looking at it like this, I had that same thought early on. But then ask them why it stays on when it is closed. Who is looking inside of the console with with the lid closed and light on?